Telly Go Poof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
50" Samsung, flat screen with whatever pixels threw its hand in last night,
but much worse was I spent too long setting up our Daughters telly (we're warehousing while she re locates in London), that she still has the remote for (in London), so then to a smaller telly. It was then too late for the Guinness shop.
Bloody tellies.

Anyway I'm totally not up to date with the changes that have occured during the 13 years of the 50" ownership so I've seen what looks like a good cheapo but thought I'd ask for input here before pressing the eBay button.
LOGIK L55UE19 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR TV - Currys | eBay

Reviews say the sound is naff, no surprise, but I run the audio through a Sony amp with multiple speakers anyway.
So far we're on Talk Talk, and being a grumpy old git I haven't registered for catch up, any of 'em, 'cos I don't like these buggers pestering me with info they know better than me that I really, really need.

This telly seemingly does Youtube, no interest.
Netflix, maybe.
Other stuff, ???

All thoughts appreciated,
even "get with it Grandad".

I’m a big fan of Hisense for value for money + picture quality.

6 year guarantee from Richer Sounds!

Hisense 50B7500UK

One thing I did notice on the different Smart TV brands that we have (across all households...) is that the built-in apps (Netflix, Amazon Price, BBC/ITV catch-up etc) only ever get used if they are simple and intuitive.

Our LG easily has the best OS with good easy-to-use apps. Other TVs' apps are complex and have cryptic remotes and so never ger used.

So I suggest that you either read a review on how good is the TV OS, or just try it in the shop if you can.

Reactions: m80
LG make very good TV's and some of them still have IPS panels.

To explain; having recently been into this, one concern for me was viewing angles. LCD TV's regardless of their being back lit LED or edge lit LED, usually have very poor off axis image quality. If viewing from an angle is important without loss of contrast then you either need an LCD TV with an IPS panel rather than a VA type panel or an OLED TV which are immune from the problem because they don't have a back light.

LOGIK is the "in house"" brand name sold exclusively by DIXONS/CURRY'S a bit like their MATSUI brand used to be. They will be part of a bulk buy from some Far East manufacturer. While covered by warranty [ period may vary- read the small print ] you should have no problem but spares backup in future years may more an immediate problem than the major brand names but even they can present possible problems depending when you buy in their model life cycle production run.

We bought a 32" LG tv for our bedroom a month ago and the Amazon Prime Video login details seem to get lost every 24-hours. Other than that, very pleased with it.

Our living room tv is a 42" Panasonic, happy with that too. If we needed to replace it, would probably go with a 55" Panasonic.

Always loved our Samsung TV's, mainly because we liked the colour tones . Bought a Smart 55 inch TV about 6 years ago and would buy another if it needed replacing, especially as the prices are about 5 times lower for the same spec now. We always have a separate sound system , sound bar plus wifi woofer

We now have 2 LG smart TVs. Really great picture, easy set up, the LG smart menu is very easy to navigate.

Also have a Phillips “smart” tv, which isn’t very smart, I had to buy a fire stick as Phillips doesn’t support amazon :wallbash:
When it dies it will no doubt be replaced by another LG.....

Regarding viewing angle, we haven't looked for about 6 years now, but when we did we went to JL as they have loads on display, and we found the viewing angle on LCD's was crap, so instead we bought a second hand 50" Panasonic plasma and have not regretted it. OK, it's not "smart", but we get the catch-up stuff via our BTTV Youview HD (and for the 42" Youview UHD) boxes, also now Netflix (which we don't use), picture quality is excellent - we actually have 3 Panasonic plasmas, 50", 42" and 32". Sound is OK, but we do have a sound bar on the main one and if necessary I can route the sound through my B&O amp and Lab 3000 speakers - superb!!

Daughter and SIL have a large and fairly new smart TV in their living room, also have Now TV, Netflix etc, can't get my head round it when we're up there! However, noticable that viewing angle is not a patch on our plasmas!!

Reactions: 190
Regarding viewing angle, we haven't looked for about 6 years now, but when we did we went to JL as they have loads on display, and we found the viewing angle on LCD's was crap, so instead we bought a second hand 50" Panasonic plasma and have not regretted it.

Plasmas were excellent TV's but alas they are no more. People who have owned them can be disappointed when they have to move on to an LCD unless they go for an IPS or an OLED but OLED are still very expensive. TV's with an IPS panel are dying out too because the professional reviewers praise the viewing angle but slate the slightly poorer contrast. Panasonic had to close their IPS panel factory because of that. Now only LG makes IPS panels. I work in a school and have bought many large LG Tv's because viewing angle is important in a wide class room. They have been very reliable too lasting 10 years or more.

Some months on and a bit of an update.

I bought this telly, and it's cleverer than I. But a bl**dy nuisance.

Good picture as expected, but the channel menu is just plain lacking. Talk Talk will allow at a press or two for a programme/s to be flagged / recorded. Not this thing. If I pause it will not allow any other function till the pause memory is played out.

I registered for the catch up stuff, and haven't been pesterd via email, so why have to register such info? I'm guessing the pestering will come.
Anyway every time you go into independant catch up (ITV for instance) you've to wait for adverts to be run till you can view the desired content, if you saw it live already a couple of weeks back you've to go through flippin adverts again on reselecting more desired content, not so with a recording on Talk Talk.
When you do go backward it requires repeat forward selections instead of backing up one step.

It freezes, due to an incapable processor is my guess. Kill power for a reset and it's up and away again.

Overall a good picture but otherwise very lacking. Pay more and 'hopefully' get more would now be my preference.

M80 I went to Currys to look at the pictures on a lot tvs before i made up my mind which one to buy - and i chose a Panasonic .Then by chance i went to my friends next door he had just purchased a JVC 42 inch .I must say that it knocks the crap out of mine .So it might be worth loking at a JVC if you can before your make your mind up

Reactions: m80
John Lewis usually have a good display

Just bought a Sony AG9 from Richer Sounds, cracking deal and service as usual

Judging picture quality from displays in shops is fraught with danger because of a fundamental problem. They are set up in shop mode which grossly exaggerates the colours. You want to compare them with a more realistic setting such as cinema mode or true cinema. If you talk to the people in Richer Sounds they will acknowledge this and adjust the picture for you.

How to Dramatically Improve Your TV's Performance in 10 Seconds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom