Temperature sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

schambers

Hi all,

When I start my car (96 W124 e280 estate) the temperature display reads -38 for a moment and then the display goes blank. Any ideas if this is the display or the sensor?

Simon

Last edited:
quite common for the display to go also. very spendy so check on e-bay for used ones.

Have the same issue on my 96 C230k, I swapped the sensor over from my AMG and it works perfectly, sensors are only available from MB but IIRC they are not that expensive.

Thanks very much. Does anyone know the part number?

Was that just for the bumper mounted sensor? or has your car got the sensor built into a loom?

thats from the EPC. The sensor bit. no idea whether you get a load of wiring with it aswell; i presume so.

i've got the same problem as OP on the silver W124 but have shy'd away from the £60 so far, waiting on a cheaper 2nd hand replacement.

When I replaced one a few years ago the sensor on its own which just plugged into a plug by the bumper was just over tenner. It did have to be ordered from my vin as he said the earlier cars the sensor could not be replaced on there own and a complete new loom with built in sensor would have to be bought. I thought this was for really early cars and not for the later 124 like yours.
I wonder if you could source a loom with removable sensor from a 202 or 210 to fit your 124, probably get a sensor as well. Could be a cheap way to get your temp. Display working for you and you will have a replacable sensor to boot.

If your's is part of the loom, you could convert it to a plug-in version with a trip to a breaker's yard. The W202 C-Class definitely has the plug-in type, so a few seconds with some wire cutters, a couple of inline crimps and there you go.

If your's is part of the loom, you could convert it to a plug-in version with a trip to a breaker's yard. The W202 C-Class definitely has the plug-in type, so a few seconds with some wire cutters, a couple of inline crimps and there you go.

would it return the same temp/readings though to the wires? maybe worth a go if they are a lot cheaper.

so, could you cut the existing wiring and wire in one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-...CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb923e504#ht_9236wt_837

and it work?

Last edited:
Cancel that. I've just had a look on the EPC and the different sensors also have different displays.

That'll teach me to make rash assumptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom