Temporary car insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I need to insure my Father-in-law's new car for a couple of weeks from when we pick it up to when we deliver it to him.

I checked with day insure.com and for 2 weeks they charge £150, so I had hoped that I could add it to my insurance policy, but according to Admiral as the car belongs will be registered in his name they wont insure it.

They said that if the car was in my father or mothers name then they would charge £25 per week, but apparently in insurance terms my Father-in-law is not a relative.

Does anyone else have any ideas of ways to insure it more economically.

Regards

Tan

I assume your father in law will Insure it when it arrives. So get him to Insure it and add you for two weeks, it might be cheaper.

You could try a different company, Daily Cover or Temp Cover, they've all got their own different silly rules.

I assume your father in law will Insure it when it arrives. So get him to Insure it and add you for two weeks, it might be cheaper.

Agree, that would probably be the cheapest option.

Can't do that as the car is a surprise, so he does not know about it yet.

Does your own insurance have the clause 'or any car not owned or hired ', if it does just clear it with your company.

Hi

I need to insure my Father-in-law's new car for a couple of weeks from when we pick it up to when we deliver it to him.

I checked with day insure.com and for 2 weeks they charge £150, so I had hoped that I could add it to my insurance policy, but according to Admiral as the car belongs will be registered in his name they wont insure it.

They said that if the car was in my father or mothers name then they would charge £25 per week, but apparently in insurance terms my Father-in-law is not a relative.

Does anyone else have any ideas of ways to insure it more economically.

Regards

Tan

Does your wife have insurance...its her father??

Does your own insurance have the clause 'or any car not owned or hired ', if it does just clear it with your company.

Hi,
Even if your policy says this the car still has to be insured by another person in the first place for you to be covered and then only 3rd party only.

Anyone else in the in-laws family know about the car? If so get them to add it to their policy with you as a named driver.

Tan, insure on his behalf and put yourself as the named driver, do it online, all sorted, your dad doesnt have to be involved really :)

Registered keeper is not the owner. The owner is the person with a financial interest in the car. So often a car could belong to Dad and the keeper be the son. Insurance companies MUST deal with this on a daily basis so why is it so difficult for them!!!

Try MSM Insurance, they are a good broker who I both use and suggest to our customers as they listen!

Kate

According to my insurers you need to have an insurable interest in the car to get insurance, i.e. be the owner or the registered keeper, otherwise it's a no no.

So, on this basis, I've saved myself however much it would have cost me to insure my brothers car which I put a good few miles on in the last three days. As he's away in Tanzania at the moment I couldn't get hold of him to put me as a named driver on his policy so it was finger's crossed and rely on my third party cover.

If you get a HPI check from HPIcheck.com (and a few others) you get 7 days of free insurance thrown in... and they don't care if you don't own the car...

At £7 a check, 2 weeks would cost £14 (I think it's TPO though)

M.

Hi, I would insure this as the owner - you will be the owner from when you make the purchase until you "give" the car to your Father-in-Law (even assuming you have the car registered from new with him as the DVLA keeper).

As others have said, the owner and registered keeper are two different things...

I did exactly this with Direct Line for my daughter....

It worked like this:

I added the car to my policy for 30 days (about £35) with me as owner and her as keeper.
I took out a policy for her (online), starting from midday on the day the car was to become hers.

Not a problem..

It looks like day insurance has changed massively, they charge nearer £20 per day now, it used to be nearer £10.

Also they will not insure a car over 10 years old, which is annoying as I used to insure myself on my Dad's S-class on day insurance and now I can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom