Ten easy ways to drive down your petrol costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
1. Find your cheapest station. Go to www.petrolprices.com to find the cheapest fuel in your area. It covers 9,704 petrol stations and has 8,000 daily updates. The difference between the most expensive and the cheapest price per litre can be as much as 15 pence.
2. Pump up your tyres. Under-inflated tyres create more rolling resistance and so use more fuel. Go to your local petrol station and use their pump – it is normally free.
3. Lose weight. Every extra 50kg will increase your petrol consumption by an average of 2 per cent, according to www.save-petrol.co.uk. So keep all your golf clubs – or anything else littering your boot – at home.
4. Streamline. Roof racks and bicycle carriers create extra wind resistance and so increase fuel consumption. If you do not need it, take it off.
5. Turn off the air-conditioning. It increases your petrol consumption by as much as 10 per cent – so if it is only mildly warm, put the fans on or wind down your window. That said, if you are travelling over 60mph having the window down increases drag which increases your fuel consumption – so air conditioning would be better.
6. Stick to the limits. The faster you go, the more fuel you use. Driving at 70mph uses up to 9 per cent more fuel than at 60mph and up to 15 per cent more than at 50mph, according to the Department of Transport.
7. Change your oil. Clean oil reduces the wear caused by friction of moving engine parts, helping to improve fuel consumption. You should change the oil in a petrol car once a year or every 7500 miles. For a diesel engine it is recommended you change the oil every 6 months or 3000 miles.
8. Drive Smoothly. Acceleration and deceleration is what uses most fuel – so try to slow down gradually at lights, avoid heavy braking and try not to rev too much.
9. Avoid rough surfaces. Gravel or heavy dirt surfaces can increase your fuel consumption by up to 30 per cent – not to mention the affect on your paintwork. If there is a route involving smooth tarmac, even if it is slightly longer, then take that.
10. Rather obviously… use your car less. Combine short trips – such as buying the paper, dropping-off the recycling, or collecting the kids – rather than making multiple short trips.

Mostly good advice, but the air con & oil change info is years out of date for modern cars & oil in my opinion.

Russ

Mostly good advice, but the air con & oil change info is years out of date for modern cars & oil in my opinion.

Russ

Air condition would need some engine power, perhaps 0.2 to 0.4 l/100km, depending on the ambient temperature, cabin size etc.

The oil change recommendation is out-of-date, specifically if the intention is to save money, not only gas. You might even increase engine wear when changing oil every 3000 miles compared to 10 000 to 15 000 (or even 19 000) miles. The 229.51 oil for modern diesels with particulate filters is so expensive that one can burn quite much diesel when changing oil less frequently.

I'd prioritize them as:
10 - and avoid short trips as much as possible

Lots of good advice but I also agree the oil change info is wrong nowadays. Just stick to the recommended services.

The aircon debate rages on. Somewhere Television posted that modern aircons use almost as much power when off as when on (compressors still running???). Since then I've tried numerous trips with it on and with it off to try to get a fair comaprison of extra fuel used and on both my A class, and the S class I had before i could detect no real difference.

EXTRA TIP:- what does seem to make a fairly big difference is to drive with the auto in C rather than in S. On the CVT box in the A class it makes more difference that it did in the S class with the standard MB 5 speed auto.

Hopefully the tips were not in any order of importance otherwise we could be in for some healthy discussions:D

How much exercise do we get each day? Walking is very much under-rated.

The sun is shining, the birds are singing and a walk must be a good idea. Live beyond the age of 70 Walking my save fuel but it is also beneficial to our long term health.:devil::D

regards
John

My air con has failed the last week or so, it's in for repair on Monday 2nd June. In that time I have run it in ECO mode essentially. My driving style has remained fairly consistent.

I have increased mpg by ~6/7mpg according to the fuel computer. My range has dramatically improved also

On my 5L V8, I can't say I notice much difference whether or not the climate control is one or not (or should that be controls, as I have the separate rear seat aircon :devil:), but I'm not going to sit in that s-class being wafted around all sweaty or with the windows open :D, so climate control on at all times :p.

I do wonder (if as TV has stated and comment referred to here) that the compressor runs constant, whether on or off, so no real notice is made. However, having a total failure of the compressor (as mine has) may produce a different result?

11. walk or catch a bus.

Does anybody know about running your car on water in the link given by dragon,sounds a bit bizarre to me.

It's cobblers.

Basically the water is 'cracked' into Oxygen and Hydrogen by using electricity. The engine then burns the hydrogen and converts it back to water.

The problem is that it takes more energy to create the hydrogen than it gives back when burnt.

otherwise this would be a case of creating energy..

As usual, Dieselman is right. The physics of these stories don't add up.

It's not new either, this story has been going round the globe for years. :rolleyes:

My air con has failed the last week or so, it's in for repair on Monday 2nd June. In that time I have run it in ECO mode essentially. My driving style has remained fairly consistent.

I have increased mpg by ~6/7mpg according to the fuel computer. My range has dramatically improved also
Ah, but if it has failed that may be different from just switching to the off position. You can never find a "Television" when you need one.:) Malcolm posted that modern aircons use almost as much off as on. Can't remember why but it fits my experience.

Let us know what happens when you've had it fixed.

Ah, but if it has failed that may be different from just switching to the off position. You can never find a "Television" when you need one.:) Malcolm posted that modern aircons use almost as much off as on. Can't remember why but it fits my experience.

Let us know what happens when you've had it fixed.

I agree; hence my comment in post #9 :)

I will certainly see what happens from Monday onwards when it's back to normal - albeit with a brand new compressor, which in itself may run more efficiently than than the previous one? How can I compare :confused: Oh wow, my head hurts now

Emigrate to Australia?? currently running at 1.52 AUD /litre= 73.3 pence/litre??? Mind you it would necessitate buying one of those hats with the corks on strings.;)

I should read what television has written but I just remember him stating that the modern air con compressors run continuously, which is true. But they don't draw power still if they are not compressing the gas, which they do not do when set off.

The warmer it is outside, the more the air-conditioning needs to evaporate liquid to gas at the evaporator to reach the target temperature at the cabin. Energy consumption of the compressor is then affected equally.

Think of it, running the compressor to compress the gas is a task that needs power and consumes gas (I am not aware of exact figures, it isn't a lot but it isn't insignificant either, depending what is significant for each and what isn't). If the air conditioning is set off, the input to the compressor is closed and it does not need power to compress the gas.

I hope I'm not starting a new debate that has already been done (perhaps a pointer for me please?).

Last edited:
Does anybody know about running your car on water in the link given by dragon,sounds a bit bizarre to me.

Huh? You means nuclear reaction. Have been going on since after the WWII in submarines, don't need to surface for air and used electrolysis to generate oxygen.

As usual, Dieselman is right. The physics of these stories don't add up.

It's not new either, this story has been going round the globe for years. :rolleyes:

I may be wrong here but in a big car the affect of a/c on perfromance/economy is very much reduced, if absent altogether, compared to a small car.

Another thread it was pointed out that modern climate control systems are mcu kinder on fuel than the old on/off switch for a/c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom