Tension pulley shaking w212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HassanMushaid

Car
Mercedes E220 W212
Hi everyone I have a Mercedes e220 w212.

I noticed there's a quite an excessive coolant, possibly the thermostat housing

But as I was searching I discovered that the tension pulley has a lot of shaking and movement. I am I am looking to see whether if this is normalI users.

Here's the video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Something not right if you have coolant loss, maybe water pump bearings are shot and causing the pulley to move excessively.

I replaced the water pump a few months back with a metal version. It had a leak and was told that the plastic part can distort.

UnfiUnfortuna, this is another leak within 6 months

I am not 100% sure if your car has one but check if it has an overrun alternator pulley, and if it does make sure it’s not siezed up. It should spin one way and lock the other. If it’s locked both ways that makes the belt flap around a lot.

Can you see if the leak is coming from between the water pump mating surface and the engine?

I would renew the tensioner and idler pulleys just in case any are worn

If you have a freewheeling alternator pulley failing then it can cause this.

If the video is in real-time then you have a pulley with radial run-out. The tensioner is moving smoothly to maintain the belt tension.
This is not what a failed alternator pulley clutch looks like. It genreates a lot of juddering as the belt tried to slip.
I would remove the drive belt and look at all the pulleys to find the one with the run-nout.

Easiest way to find the leak is with a coolant pressure test kit.

I found a leak at one of my connections at the radiator recently with this kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom