Terminal Services Client (TSC) - Anybody knowledgable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I am having a few problems with our software at work, the system uses Terminal Services Client, (TSC) as a 'window' to the main server. We have 16 workstations connected to the netwrok and we run TSC on 9 if them. Everything works fine most of the time, occasionally though we seem to get a very slow initial connection, once connected everything works fast, normal Network browsing is fast. This can happen randomly to any of the workstations. The server is running Win2000, most of the workstations are Win98 except for the newer ones that are XP.

Any ideas as to what I can check either on the server or workstation settings?

Also is it possible for me to use TSC remotely via the internet so that I can look at reports and analyse sales figures from home rather than staying late at work and causing poor relationship connections as well as poor network connections!
:crazy:

I know most of the answers are going to go straight over my head, but if anybody can offer advice in simple terms it would be appreciated.

Have you tired using the Remote Desktop client instead of Terminal Services Client?

You would have to install this on your '98 machines but can be found under

Start => All Programs => Accessories => Communications => Remote Desktop Connection

on your XP machines.

That looks like a newer version of TSC, I will try it out on Monday. Is there anyway I can use that over the internet to connect to the works server? Or is that too complicated. I know our software support can do it, trouble is they have become very un-cooperative recently.....see below!

One of my biggest problems is that I have just bought 2 new Dell XP machines, one of the PC's that I want to replace is a Win98 machine with the network name 'Express Counter' this is connected to our main printer, the problem is XP does not allow spaces in network computer names, so I cannot simply 'clone' the old machine.

Our software support are not very supportive, they have got the hump because we bought new hardware elsewhere and are saying that Dell PC's are not compatible and they will need to come on site and charge travelling and an extortianate rate to set up 1 dot matrix printer.

Sure you can access via the internet, but keeping your internet connection to your business server is the important thing. Firewalls and networks not my speciality.

Give RD a go though, yeah it's like a new way of doing Terminal Services. You can download the RD client for Windows 98 etc. Hope it helps.

I am sure your printer can be shared from your new 'Express Counter' or indeed 'ExpressCounter' PC easily enough. How is the printer connected?

If it it's an network printer it could perhaps be configured for IP printing, but it sounds liek you just have it shared off the PC. Just a case of changing your other PC's to the new share name I think.

Graham

The printer is a local connection and shared on the network, all PC's on the network can print from Winows to the printer. I can print through TSC from the main server to the printer but not from any workstations when running TSC.

Must admit it's a bit beyond my understanding how networks actually work, I just copy IP settings from the old machine to the new one, it seems to work for me.

Graham,
Can you use remote desktop to connect multiple PC's to the same server though? Each with their own Windows session? I believe that's what Terminal Services Client does.

Richard.

RichardM said:
Graham,
Can you use remote desktop to connect multiple PC's to the same server though? Each with their own Windows session? I believe that's what Terminal Services Client does.

Richard.

Using RD to connect to a server allows multiple sessions using Terminal Server licenses I think.

sounds more like a name resolution problem - how is the TS client contacting the Server - Name or IP address ? Try connecting via IP address, as this will take some of the slower (broadcast) steps out of the process. If this works, you will need to check your WINS and DNS servers.

All windows clients use the same protocol (RDP) to connect, however, the newer ones(on XP or W2k3 CD) will also allow full screen, as opossed to windowed.

Depending on your internet connection (your server will need a static IP address) you could access it over the web, but I would advise getting a security check first (and get a proper firewall) , as you don't want others in there....... Worth looking a a Cisco 501 or Netgear.

RichardM said:
Graham,

Richard.
Yes you can Rich, we do exactly this at work.

S.

Can I ask one question....

Why do you terminal service into the server? Does the server have special applications on that you use or is there something I am missing?

Connecting via IP makes sense, its probably broadcasting the web looking for the server :rolleyes: Wleg is on the right track here I think.

Assuming your server has a Public IP address or you have set up your router to forward requests to your server then yes, you can connect remotely to your server from home. You need to be very ware about the security aspects of this though. Personally, I use PC anywhere for remote access but with PC anywhere you get to see what is going on the screen of the server, as if you were on the server locally.

Jimmy,

The previous comments regarding security to do this is very true, however if you wish to do so it is perfectly possible - the RDP client uses port 3389, therefore you will need to open this on your firewall (or preferably perform some port redirection to only the IP address of your server). Would suggest that you consider changing the port you connect with the RDP client to something not commonly used to avoid casual hacking attempts (won't stop everyone, but will deter amateurs).
This can be done by simply adding ':pORT' to the end of the IP address in the RDP client to the appropriate value. For example, if you configured port direction on your firewall for incoming port 6789 (must be TCP, not UDP) to redirect to port 3389 on the IP address of your server, then connecting with the RDP client using 'x.x.x.x:6789' from the internet would connect you to your server (assuming you actually put in your public facing IP address, rather than a bunch of 'x's!! Make sure you tune your RDP client settings for lower speed connections (i.e. don't download desktop background / cache bitmaps, etc). If your public IP address changes dynamically regularly (some don't - I've only had 2 different ones in the last 18 months) then you could potentially use a dynamic DNS service to access your server from the internet using a host name instead, which your router could automatically update without you having to lift a finger.

Would strongly suggest that if you are not already doing so, that you make sure you are using nice and strong passwords if you are going to make it available from the internet - using 'password' or similar would not be a good move!

Sorry if I'm talking techie rubbish - let me know if you have any problems - I'm only just down the road if you need a hand.......

Thanks for the advice (I think!) We use TSC because the software is a bespoke package that runs from the main server. Well I think thats why, it was set up before I got there so I am not sure why.

I am trying to connect using an IP address in TSC, it is a problem specific to certain computers. Must be a setting in the control panel somewhere. I can copy the exact same TSC settings to another machine and it connects instantly so I think it is a problem with certain machines.

I don't think I will try connecting remotely, sounds too complicated and insecure for me. I will just download reports before I go home.

Subnet masks all correct on all machines?

Which machines are master browsers?

Update

Thanks for your advice everyone.

The slow connections have gone, each workstation now connects instantly after the weekend. Perhaps the server has had time to think aboout things, I dunno why it should suddenly be OK.

I have set up some connections using Remote Desktop, it works but will it affect our current licensing? Our software support want £1800 to issue each extra TSC license, is this right or are they taking the mick?

Sounds a bit much! My understanding is that RD uses Terminal Server Licesnses. So you can connect using TSC or RD, as long as you are not connecting more than the total licenses you have - which it won't let you do anyway.

From my recollection of the joys of MS Licensing, you should have already had to pay for the TS Client Access License (CAL) for your Win98 clients, however with W2k TS I believe that W2k PRo and XP Pro clients already come with the appropriate licenses as standard. Therefore, nothing should really have changed - as Graham said, the licenses are server based, so the client software you use shouldn't make any difference. Even if you did need to buy more licenses for the Win98 clients, just buying the appropriate number of copies of XP Pro should be less than £1800.

What sort of support arrangement do you currently have, since it does sound as though they are really having a laugh......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom