Terrible experience with a local independent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the problem was getting worse, why was it not sorted before it had chance to get to that stage? Then all would have been sorted before your airport run and no aggro would have been caused by the delay.
I know that hindsight is a wonderfull thing, but don't forget the 6Ps.

Preparation and
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance.

Last edited:
I had a similar incident with MB Brentford via MB Walton whilst they still existed. In short Brentford couldn't return the car even though they agreed to have it finished on the proviso I HAD to have it back by the weekend. Much rushing around was done by the excellent lady at MB Walton and I had a courtesy diesel W211 for the weekend - they reimbursed insurance costs as well.

It was the worst modern MB I had ever driven, and oddly enough when my car had to go back for a FOURTH time I insisted on an equivalent (i.e. convertible) courtesy car.

The last time I saw someone with this posters attitude over a similiar problem in a workshop, he was asked to leave without his vehicle as he refused to pay. He was then forcibly removed from the premises by the police and warned that if he returned he would be arrested and would spend the night in the cells.

Have a think about it before you refuse to pay, demand they give you your car and watch the police arrive to take you away.

Russ

Have a think about it before you refuse to pay, demand they give you your car and watch the police arrive to take you away.

Maybe he could have them pick up the VIP's on the way to the cells.

You haven't recently had a 'problem' with a clocked car have you .............?

ahhh c'mon... he's taken enough flak already

The last time I saw someone with this posters attitude over a similiar problem in a workshop, he was asked to leave without his vehicle as he refused to pay. He was then forcibly removed from the premises by the police and warned that if he returned he would be arrested and would spend the night in the cells.

Russ

You're absolutely right. Established case law gives garages full control of your car if they have carried out work which has not been paid for.

In layman's terms, your car effectively becomes theirs until the bill is settled. If you tried, for example, to take the car out of hours using a spare key, the Police would charge you with whatever trendy name 'taking and driving away' is called these days.

If you didn't pay within a reasonable amount of time they could sell you car, take what they are owed (plus storage) and then send you any balance.

And so would I. But then, I would expect them to be charging up to £100 per hour plus VAT for the repair. I bet this Independent is somewhat more affordable. The OP could have taken it to a main dealer if he/she so wished.
True - but my comment was in response to a "main dealer" comment.

dude - chill. Main dealers often don't complete on time, but then you pay 115+VAT/hr for the privelege of courtesy cars, being called sir etc.

I use an independant, rate is £35+Vat/hr. They swear, they don't have a coffee machine, there's no loan cars. But the cash in my pocket means if needs be I can rent a basic car for the duration or take a taxi and still be better off.

I only bought the car on Friday.
Private or trade? My car had a leak from the sender when I picked it up, probably becuase it had been on the forecourt for 3 months with next to zero fuel in it and a seal dried out.

I would have probably reacted in a similar way at that age (I'm sure I did at times - and perhaps others here have) but a bit of life experience goes a long way, as others have said:

A estimate is not binding, a quote is.

"It will be ready on Wednesday" means "if it all goes to plan" - sh1t happens, people go off sick, wrong parts turn up, bolts snap and so on.

If you need the car by a date make sure you let them know (and ask up front what they can do to help if it's not ready).

Explain your situation and try to work with people, let then know that they have left you without transport for an important journey and ask what they can do to help.

Last edited:
i agree, relax a bit, acting "the big man" with the garage wont wash, they are probably as frustrated as you are, i had a repair done by a very nice and skillfull mechanic,,,he had the car twice as long as he quoted me, it was out of his hands, what could he do ?......if they have been good to you in the past, my advice is dont upset them

A cautionary tale..

It is a sad fact that I now expect pretty much everything to go wrong across the board and when it goes right it is a pleasant surprise.. :rolleyes: I see it day in day out in my line of work.

You took the words right out of my mouth! You must be doing the same job as I used to do....;)

you buy a car last friday and have to immediately take it to a garage because the fuel tank leak has been getting steadily worse:confused: (or your words to that effect). Face it - you have bought a 'nail' (whether knowingly or not) and are miffed that somebody could not perform a miracle.

Chalk it up to 'experience' and move on in life. perhaps next time you will plan a bit better.

Good on you for buying a Merc though;) - class cars but they do take money to keep them running, especially 17 year old 300-24v 124's. personally I would not have thought it was the ideal car for a 19 year old but each to their own. post us some pics sometime in the Gallery section

Hope you get it back soon,

matt

It is a bit sad that this new member is taking a fair bit of stick over this issue and I would very tactfully like to point out that we are basically a great bunch of folks.

I hope we can all learn from this and maybe start afresh once the car is returned?:eek: :)

Good luck with this car, but I wish you ahd sought advice BEFORE buying it?

Kind regards
John

i said as much about 20 posts ago... too many lecturers in here , :eek:

My first MB was a 1991 W124 300TE-24v which was absolutely brilliant. I bought it in 1998 with 132K on the clock and exchanged it 4 years later with 170K+ for a W210 E240. The disappointment in lack of power of the E240 compared with the 300TE was immense.

The specification of the 300TE was top draw and such a comfortable and powerful car to drive - I loved it. When you get it sorted you will find that your money was well spent.

I can understand the disappointment, frustration and anger but there's going to be a lot more of that coming your way in life and you'll find it easier to deal with and manage if you are able to be less confrontational. There are other ways of getting a result by being more manipulative.

Sorry, don't mean to lecture just want to be constructive.

Good luck with your car - hope you get a result!

You're absolutely right. Established case law gives garages full control of your car if they have carried out work which has not been paid for.

In layman's terms, your car effectively becomes theirs until the bill is settled. If you tried, for example, to take the car out of hours using a spare key, the Police would charge you with whatever trendy name 'taking and driving away' is called these days.

If you didn't pay within a reasonable amount of time they could sell you car, take what they are owed (plus storage) and then send you any balance.
Currently going though this process with a customer who refuses to speak to me or answer any of my letters to him. Now in the hands of my solicitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom