Terrible headlights - recommendations for bulbs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now i need to go and learn what H7 means. :D

You have halogens (otherwise you would not have the level adjuster). H7 is the bulb type.

I put Osram Nightbreaker's into my daughters Mini (which transformed it) and whatever the latest Nightbreaker versions are into my son's Polo and that vastly improved it. My and the wife's cars have factory Xenons / LED lights.

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard, thanks very much that's interesting. I read a lot of reviews about the Nightbreakers, both the Unlimited and the newer "Lasers". They certainly sound fantastic for light outputm, but most poeple seem to find they only last 6 months. I am therefore thinking of going with the Ring 130s, but tempted to see if I can get a year or two out of the NB Lasers! Unlikely!

Ordered some Ring 130s, may order some NB Lasers as well, just to compare. Will update If i do!
Thanks for the help everyone

Had about 2 years so far out of the Nightbreakers on the Mini (although I also changed the side light bulbs to some whiter ones given the night breakers are much whiter and one of those failed after 15 months). The Polo was only done 2 weeks ago ..

R

Ordered some Ring 130s, may order some NB Lasers as well, just to compare. Will update If i do!
Thanks for the help everyone

WHY.. , they've both been tested in Philips light tunnel in Germany , so you don't have to .

Had about 2 years so far out of the Nightbreakers on the Mini (although I also changed the side light bulbs to some whiter ones given the night breakers are much whiter and one of those failed after 15 months). The Polo was only done 2 weeks ago ..

R

Ordinary 3200 - 3300K , Osram NB ,
Philips X-tremeVision , RacingVision ,
Ring Xenon 130 /150, etc , all 3700 - 3800K .

Still warm white .

Philips X-tremeVision have been in my daily driver for the last 18months, no issues and just as bright as the Osrams.

WHY.. , they've both been tested in Philips light tunnel in Germany , so you don't have to .

Fair comment, although I would have thought bulbs may respond differently in different cars, reflectors, driving styles etc. Not much perhaps, but it would be nice to see which I prefer, which may not just be a function of light output. I am also pretty sensitive to light, I can get terrible headaches caused by certain K ratings. I will just go with the 130s to start with, but if I have any complaints I will try the Lasers or the Philips, thanks 91dm :)

Had nightbreakers in my old car, with my bad eyesight they were tremendous. Also not yellow, more a soft white

As Richard mentioned they also complement nicely with some sidelight bulbs, I fitted some clear/slightly blue (legal) 501 wedge bulbs to my sidelights and it transformed the look of the front of the car without being illegal

Did you get much life out of them? Did you run lights on constantly (DRLs)?

LED as stated will not work correctly and neither will HID kits so look at higher output halogen bulbs.

Also, check the earths for the lights as poor earth returns will lower voltage and light output (check voltage at the bulb as well ), in addition, have you considered having the lens restored if cloudy?

Check here for the correct fitment :ABD.co.uk Car Lighting and Automotive Products

Never found any 5W 501 blue glass sides to be of any use , after all they're just 5W , that's why back in the day if they fitted we put in 955 16W .

Hi Richard, thanks very much that's interesting. I read a lot of reviews about the Nightbreakers, both the Unlimited and the newer "Lasers". They certainly sound fantastic for light outputm, but most poeple seem to find they only last 6 months. I am therefore thinking of going with the Ring 130s, but tempted to see if I can get a year or two out of the NB Lasers! Unlikely!
I had the NB Unlimiteds in my ML320 for 2 years until I sold it and I had the NB Lasers in an ML350 for 3 years until I sold it.

I had the NB Unlimiteds in my ML320 for 2 years until I sold it and I had the NB Lasers in an ML350 for 3 years until I sold it.
Thanks. Did they get much use? DRLs or never on unless night driving?
Which did you prefer between the UL and Lasers

My bad, I confuse ultimate and unlimited! Have had them in the dips on my car for over 2 years, dips on full time when driving, so far (touch wood) no failure. Had NB+ before that, they failed fairly rapidly. Also have NB Lasers in main beam (which I seldom use), no better than the unlimiteds so IMHO not worth the extra money.

Thanks. Did they get much use? DRLs or never on unless night driving?
Which did you prefer between the UL and Lasers
I didn't notice any difference, i only went with the Lasers because they were newer but i was happy with the Unlimiteds.

Thanks. I am yet to see the fittings, I will obviously soon do so to change the bulbs. I am only really concerned with dipped beam for now as that is the one that causes me serious problems driving at night. If I am impressed I might upgrade the full beam lights too. I have actually ordered the Ring Xenon 130s, plus a pair of NB Lasers. Any recommendations for which way around, considering the full beam bulbs will only be in use a fraction of the time of the dipped ones

The previous Auto Express H7 test a few years back results .

1. Philips RacingVision
2. Ring Xenon130
3. GE Megalight Ultra +130
4. Bosch Gigalight Plus 120
5. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
6. Philips X-tremeVision +130
7. Twenty20 daylight120
8. Osram Night Breaker Laser
9. M-tech Powertec Platinum

Send the Lasers back...

Ring Xenons get my vote. Used them in various cars over the years (120% ones I believe) and all been excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom