Tesco diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stardelta

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi brabus estate
Hi all...Have had my c220 cdi 2008 for 4 years now and have experimented with different companies and types of fuel and additives including 2 stroke oil, first of my car came without a dpf and runs the om646 engine.
I ran the car on all premium fuels including shell v power, BP ultimate etc and found the engine was always noticeably noisier than standard Tesco fuel, after a year of ownership added a brabus d3s and then ran the car exclusively with shell v power which was roughly 2 and a half years but last week decided to try 40 pounds worth of Tesco diesel and wow much quieter engine, now at odds why and the question to you all is, has anyone else experienced this or perhaps I have a peculiar engine

I have an OM646 engine with a Brabus chip in mine , and run it on Sainsbury's diesel most of the time, only the occasional Branded fuel if I have to refuel on a motorway, has worked well for me for the last eight years.

I'm delighted to read the above posts, often, there is such snobbery about brands of fuel. The BPs and Shells of this world sell their snake oil of V power this, and extra that. Honestly, do people really think it's in Tescos, Sainsburys or Asdas interest to sell fuel that can potentially damage an engine? Yes you'll hear stories of contaminated fuel, but that can happen to any fuel distributor. Well done guys for championing a supermarket fuel. My Celica GT4 had run on standard Asda unleaded for the last 15 years, I went through a 6 week phase of filling her up on V power, but the only effect I noticed was my wallet got lighter much faster...

I’ve used supermarket diesel in the e270 for years never had a fuel problem, or noticed any lack of performance. I use v- power in the ford ecoboost as I feel a slight increase in performance and responsiveness.

I'm delighted to read the above posts, often, there is such snobbery about brands of fuel. The BPs and Shells of this world sell their snake oil of V power this, and extra that. Honestly, do people really think it's in Tescos, Sainsburys or Asdas interest to sell fuel that can potentially damage an engine? Yes you'll hear stories of contaminated fuel, but that can happen to any fuel distributor. Well done guys for championing a supermarket fuel. My Celica GT4 had run on standard Asda unleaded for the last 15 years, I went through a 6 week phase of filling her up on V power, but the only effect I noticed was my wallet got lighter much faster...

The GT4 isn't chipped / remapped.

It's not a question of brand snobbery.

Most fuel companies will have a basic fuel and a premium fuel.

The premium fuels are better than the basic fuels because they contaim a better additives pack (and, more crucially, detergents that keep the engine cleaner for longer).

But you are right in saying that the brand is less important.

While basic fuels from (say) Sainsburys or Morrison or Esso or Jet or BP or Tesco will differ due to having different additives, there's no evidence to support the idea that basic fuel from one supplier is substantially better than basic fuel from another supplier.

And the same applies for premium fuels (Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate, Tesco Momentum, etc etc). I.e., they are not identical to each other, but they don't differ from each other by much - all of these premium fuels provide essentially the same benefits over basic fuels - a cleaner engine.

So in short, you can:

- Use basic fuel only

- Use basic fuel with occasional use of fuel additives (e.g. Redex, Millers, Forte, etc) or occasional tankful of premium fuel, for the detergents

- Use only premium fuels

It's entirely down to the car owner, but there will be a difference in how clean the engine is, based on which fuel you use.

But, again, the brand itself is less important.

Incidentally, most horror stories regarding 'bad' fuel, actually relate to contamination, which realistically can occur with any fuel brand.

I've tried all the brands on my E320 V6, always end up back with Tesco, mainly for the convenience of pay at pump! Don't notice any difference, consumption is always the same. As for engine noise, well, with the windows up and the radio on, I can barely hear the engine! So how can you tell? are you driving around with your window down with your head hanging out of it? Currently trying something called Diesel power plus. No difference that I can tell, will not bother again once it's used up. Snake oil? Probably!

Premium fuel (petrol) is 99RON so isn't snake oil. Some cars will run optimally on 99 but you can use 97. Nothing wrong with using standard fuels but IMO the premium adds benefits

I've tried all the brands on my E320 V6, always end up back with Tesco, mainly for the convenience of pay at pump! Don't notice any difference, consumption is always the same. As for engine noise, well, with the windows up and the radio on, I can barely hear the engine! So how can you tell? are you driving around with your window down with your head hanging out of it? Currently trying something called Diesel power plus. No difference that I can tell, will not bother again once it's used up. Snake oil? Probably!
I am not familiar with the product, is it this one?:

What Does It Do? - Diesel Power Plus

If so, then I can see no reason why it wouldn't work.

It seems to be doing essentially the same things that Redex/Millers/Forte etc or BP Ultimate / Shell V-Power etc do.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda, Morrissons and such are my first choice for groceries, but fuels I’m buying only from Oil companies. I’ve never bought and will never buy spring onions at Shell station like I’ll never buy any fuel from a grocery.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda, Morrissons and such are my first choice for groceries, but fuels I’m buying only from Oil companies. I’ve never bought and will never buy spring onions at Shell station like I’ll never buy any fuel from a grocery.

A product is a product, no matter how delivered and by who.

Are you now going to stop buying non green fruit and veg from a greengrocer ?

Laughable logic :D

What a weird attitude. Where do you think supermarkets get their fuel from, the local farmers?

....always end up back with Tesco, mainly for the convenience of pay at pump!

That's a factor for me too, particularly when refuelling a motorcycle as I don't want to muck about taking my helmet off. The local shell garage did an expensive refit with new pumps and promptly removed all of the pay at the pump facilities which seems a backward step. So they charge more than the local Tesco and now provide a worse service into the bargain. Nothing premium about that.

Premium fuel (petrol) is 99RON so isn't snake oil. Some cars will run optimally on 99 but you can use 97. Nothing wrong with using standard fuels but IMO the premium adds benefits

No one is suggesting that it is.

If a fuel is advertised to be a certain octane rating then it almost certainly is. But the phrase "Premium fuel" does not necessarily equate to a particular Octane rating. Premium is usually used to suggest further benefits as outlined by Markjay above.

I am not familiar with the product, is it this one?:

What Does It Do? - Diesel Power Plus

If so, then I can see no reason why it wouldn't work.

It seems to be doing essentially the same things that Redex/Millers/Forte etc or BP Ultimate / Shell V-Power etc do.
That's the one! I've used about half of it now, can't say I can notice any difference in the car. A few years ago people were sticking old chip shop oil mixed with a bit of acetone in their tanks, what happened to all that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom