Tesco diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone tried Costco fuel?

None around my way but they offer 99 Octane in unleaded and they reckon all grades of fuel they sell have a decent additive package (apparently added by themselves during delivery?)

None around near me presently but supposed to be competitively priced and well managed etc - could be a good option if you’re passing by :thumb:

I can only contribute drawing on my DIY experience from the days before cars had any electronics (apart from the radio).

To adjust the ignition timing (if you did not have a strobe to hand that is... or a Sun engine tune-up computer) you would loosen the bolt securing the distributor, then rotate it slightly in one direction. Secure the bolt, drive the car, readjust, repeat, until perfect.

If the car was 'pinking', you'd retard the ignition a touch. If the car was backfiring, you'd advance the ignition a bit.

The sweet spot was when backfiring on the overrun was minimal, and very mild pinking could be heard when picking-up slowly from very low rev at high gear.

Fasten the alternator securing bolt, and you are good to go.

(I am not old enough to have driven cars where the ignition timing could be adjusted from a lever in the dashboard or on the steering wheel)
I must have started motoring just after you and by that time Distributors had an external vernier wheel that could rotate the points plate without undoing the clamp bolt, modern technology! and carburettor balancing was done with a plastic tube in each ear and the end held at 90 degrees to the air flow in the carb inlet :)

None around near me presently but supposed to be competitively priced and well managed etc - could be a good option if you’re passing by :thumb:

And have a Costco card, of course.

I must have started motoring just after you and by that time Distributors had an external vernier wheel that could rotate the points plate without undoing the clamp bolt, modern technology! and carburettor balancing was done with a plastic tube in each ear and the end held at 90 degrees to the air flow in the carb inlet :)

The points were adjusted separately using a feeler gauge (after cleaning them of course). :)

Our local Asda supermarket has a filling station. Yet its delivery vans are filled with diesel at a nearby BP filling station. Go figure.

Our local Asda supermarket has a filling station. Yet its delivery vans are filled with diesel at a nearby BP filling station. Go figure.

I suspect their vans are leased and run by a fleet management company who have a nationwide deal with BP at a discounted price. Nothing unusual in that.

I suspect their vans are leased and run by a fleet management company who have a nationwide deal with BP at a discounted price. Nothing unusual in that.
Was just typing the same... :)

Asda will be using BP bunker cards for the fuel simply on the basis of easy accounting and record keeping of which van has had what fuel. Oddly enough I have BP bunker cards, but am filling up daily at ASDA because it is cheaper than BP bunker rate at the moment.

Anyone tried Costco fuel?

None around my way but they offer 99 Octane in unleaded and they reckon all grades of fuel they sell have a decent additive package (apparently added by themselves during delivery?)

I'd be surprised if Costco add their own fuel additives package at delivery. Getting the dosing right is not trivial and too much is not a good thing. Would be interesting to know what formulation they use to achieve 99 octane. I don't have a Costco card, so it's a bit irrelevant for me anyway and am unlikely to change from my current fuel choices anyway.

I'd be surprised if Costco add their own fuel additives package at delivery. Getting the dosing right is not trivial and too much is not a good thing. Would be interesting to know what formulation they use to achieve 99 octane. I don't have a Costco card, so it's a bit irrelevant for me anyway and am unlikely to change from my current fuel choices anyway.

That’s what they say they do in an article I found:

Gofile - File sharing platform, anonymous and free

(On page #4)

Regards the membership - yes of course. But to be fair Costco are often very well priced aside from just fuel.

They’re very competitive for stuff like engine oil (eg Mobil 1 has been under £30 for 5 litres now for years) and their tyre service is excellent.

Plenty of other bits like microfibre cloths are good quality/value and I find them cheap for other household stuff like nappies and coffee as well as car related stuff too :)

The fuel is supposed to be good quality and excellent value so if you were in a position to use it the savings may easily cover the cost of membership several times over :thumb:

I think there’s quite a few members on here who use Costco so thought it would be interesting to know who’s used it and what they thought? :cool:

^^ Fair enough, had a read of the article.

The picture of the clean diesel injector is a picture of a new diesel injector, which is a bit misleading but not the first time I've seen this used as a comparison. FWIW, no fuel additive package keeps them this clean or cleans them up to this level. None. The key area for cleanlines is the injector holes which are tiny (70 microns or so), not easy to show clean vs dirty on a photo.

The inference that their competitors choose not to additise their fuels is interesting. I wonder who they see as their competitors? I'd be surprised if any premium fuels in UK forecourts have not been additised at the distribution depot. Might be true for some regular fuels, but unlikely IMHO. However without taking actual samples and carrying out some analysis in the lab, it's hard to refute their claim.

If the base fuels used by Costco are made to the prevailing standards EN:228 and EN:590 and they are correctly dosed with a functional additive package, then there's no reason to consider their fuels to be of poor quality, though there may be better fuels out there.

Anyone tried Costco fuel? :thumb:

I don't have a Costco branch local enough to make regular use, but have used them a few times without any issue, but not enough to make any conclusion about the quality of their fuel. When they opened a fuel station at their Edinburgh branch it was quite a lot cheaper than others, but the price seems to have crept up nearer to normal now. As mentioned above, they can be quite good for other auto supplies, tools, etc, as well as the usual grocery stuff and clothes, although with some of the groceries you have to buy in bulk, or larger sized bottles and containers than you might otherwise choose. You also need to watch their prices, as they aren't always cheaper than Tesco etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom