Tesco Fuel, Sidcup - Be Wary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Of course it does, it's not going to say "we misdiagnosed the fault and charged you when we shouldn't have."

The first report states that there could be future issues that may arise due to the contamination so maybe that'll cover it for insurance purposes.

OK, final update on this. Assessor came round this week and confirmed that the vehicle was worth more than the cost to do the work so it has been signed off. Insurance company have authorised the work and it goes in this coming Thursday. I think the old man has been lucky to be honest, but at least it means he'll get he's car sorted.

As an aside, his neighbour said he has had starting issues with his 10 plate Toyota (keeps having to crank the car over continuously before it will start up), could just be a coincidence, but he also filled up at the same station prior to the symptoms starting.

Surely if the problems were fuel contamination, there would be dozens if not hundreds more affected motors in the local vicinity. How many have been reported or have you heard of?

I'm sure the local paper would be happy to run a story on it

Surely if the problems were fuel contamination, there would be dozens if not hundreds more affected motors in the local vicinity. How many have been reported or have you heard of?

I'm not sure whether Tesco would provide details of any other cases (if indeed there were any), however, it's not the first time that there has been a problem down this neck of the woods so to speak:

Tesco apologises for contaminated fuel - PetrolPrices.com

Rule 1.

NEVER BUY FUEL FROM A STATION WITH A TANKER IN THE FORECOURT.

This doesn't guarantee no contamination from stirring up the slops in the storage tanks, but it must give a degree of protection from getting such problems.

Rule 1.

NEVER BUY FUEL FROM A STATION WITH A TANKER IN THE FORECOURT.

This doesn't guarantee no contamination from stirring up the slops in the storage tanks, but it must give a degree of protection from getting such problems.

My dad used to have the same theory about never running his car tank down below one quarter, so he didn't pull the sludge/dregs into the engine....but car fuel tanks empty from the bottom anyway. Wonder what the configuration of forecourt tanks is? Anyone know?

Logic would indicate the takeoff must be at the bottom or low area of the tank.

Logic would indicate the takeoff must be at the bottom or low area of the tank.

True, but the contents for a period of time are subject to mixing.
The longer a tank has been installed, the greater the likelyhood of water and debris entering into the tank.
Despite being filtered before dispensing, there is still a possibility of a small quantity of water being in solution directly after an empty tank has been refilled.

Attachments

• cistern.jpg
    cistern.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 34
My dad used to have the same theory about never running his car tank down below one quarter, so he didn't pull the sludge/dregs into the engine....but car fuel tanks empty from the bottom anyway. Wonder what the configuration of forecourt tanks is? Anyone know?

The theory being that once the fuel level is sufficiently low the "dregs" which normally float on the surface of the fuel get so low as to be pumped into the engine.
Fuel from 30/50 years ago wasn't subjected to as much refining as it is nowadays and QC wasn't as strict. Occasionally a batch of fuel would get onto the market which was slightly contaminated and this would cause problems with the higher performance cars.
Since the removal of TEL/TML and the introduction of lead free petrol problems have been far, far fewer.

The theory being that once the fuel level is sufficiently low the "dregs" which normally float on the surface of the fuel get so low as to be pumped into the engine.

I'm intrigued by this idea that the "dregs" float on the surface - I wonder what we're talking about here.

I operate a fuel installation for AVGAS - a high octane leaded petrol for aircraft. Clearly the issue of contamination is key to us as dodgy fuel could kill. We specifically use 'floating suction' so that the fuel is taken from the top of the liquid as we expect to see water and other contaminants go to the bottom.

In line with thecomment about not fuelling from a forecourt when there's a tanker there, we always let the tanks settle after new fuel has been dropped in so that any muck that may have been disturbed from the bottom of the tank has resettled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom