Tesco Fuel, Sidcup - Be Wary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300CE

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 300CE
Just had a phone call from my dad to say the reason his car stopped working was due to fuel contamination.

He was driving to the coast on Monday when the car stopped and the engine management light came on as well as the 4wd light & the immobiliser light.

Recovery took the car to the nearest Suzuki garage (he has a Grand Vitara V6) where it has been on diagnostics. They originally thought it maybe the camshaft sensor or an injector, but after a process of elimination, have concluded that the fuel was contaminated (it has taken them until today to confirm this).

They will be providing a report to my dad who will obviously be taking it up with Tesco & they have also advised him that there is a possibility there maybe further damage - it has also cost him £400.00. I thought i'd post this up for any local forum members who may use that station to make there own decision as to whether they want to continue to do so.

Bad enough to find that you have put bad fuel in. Even worse to find your main dealer is trying to take something out of you with a £400 diagnosis .
Double whammy?:confused:

Bad enough to find that you have put bad fuel in. Even worse to find your main dealer is trying to take something out of you with a £400 diagnosis .
Double whammy?:confused:

Tell me about it - he's not too happy! Apparently, the diagnosis kept showing up a problem with different injectors each time they were cleared and they admitted they were scratching their heads (i suppose each time the car was started and the fuel went through it showed a problem again).

I told him that £400.00 did seem quite steep.

Your post should have read: Tesco fuel, Asda fuel, Sainsbury fuel, Morrison fuel - BE WARY. Always feel happier with the major companies - robbers that they are!:dk:

I use that station, nearest place for me to get Momentum99.

I think it is a much more common problem than you think.

S

Your post should have read: Tesco fuel, Asda fuel, Sainsbury fuel, Morrison fuel - BE WARY.

I spend £300 a week on fuel, much of which comes from supermarkets, and have never had a problem...

I doubt diesel or petrol sold by supermarkets is any different from that sold any where else?

I spend £300 a week on fuel, much of which comes from supermarkets, and have never had a problem...

I doubt diesel or petrol sold by supermarkets is any different from that sold any where else?

Been discussed many times..

Same fuel from the same tanks but have different additives/levels added as it is pumped into the road tankers

Your father has a V6 Grand Vitara???
I bet he was a regular visitor to petrol stations....;)

Always feel happier with the major companies - robbers that they are!

The independents aren't necessarily cheap, either...

eco.jpg

cheap fuel is cheap fuel super markets buy the dregs and sell them cheap the only 100% good fuel is optimax!

cheap fuel is cheap fuel super markets buy the dregs and sell them cheap the only 100% good fuel is optimax!

That is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. Do you really think they hang around till the end of the day and suck out all the dregs that the big fuel sellers have left behind bringing up all the nasty bits from the bottom of the tank? :wallbash:

It's exactly the same fuel as your super special optimax. Only the additives are different

Last edited:
That is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. Do you really think they hang around till the end of the day and suck out all the dregs that the big fuel sellers have left behind bringing up all the nasty bits from the bottom of the tank? :wallbash:

It's exactly the same fuel as your super special optimax. Only the additives are different

Why take the chance with your precious Mercedes, I say? You may save a few pence, but is it worth it??:dk:

The nearest petrol station to me is Sainsburys.
I have used this for my fuel since we moved here 7 year ago and I've never had a problem.
I know of not one person, dead or alive, that has ever had a problem with supermarket fuel.
If you honestly believe that they sell sub-standard fuel, good luck to you. That's your choice. I know from experience that they don't.

lol im talking from a performace point of view not an every day driving point of view my turbo charged car runs 2.6 bar of boost and can only run that safley mapped on a good 99 octain fuel and optimax is the best! take tesco super which is also 99 octain but will det and not let you run as much ignition there is a differance in fuels if you dont know about it then thats not my problem also a good 99 octain fuel will burn stronger and cleaner in the bore!

The nearest petrol station to me is Sainsburys.
I have used this for my fuel since we moved here 7 year ago and I've never had a problem.
I know of not one person, dead or alive, that has ever had a problem with supermarket fuel.
If you honestly believe that they sell sub-standard fuel, good luck to you. That's your choice. I know from experience that they don't.
not even the safways fuel problem that was in the papers that was contaminated with silicone that was damageing injecters and fuel pumps?

not even the safways fuel problem that was in the papers that was contaminated with silicone that was damageing injecters and fuel pumps?

I don't know these people that these things happen to. That's my point.

You should read his other posts... :rolleyes:
you what and who on earth do you think you are cheap super marker fuel is left over fuel that top name fuel stations or any one else who has a tanker full! can not take as they have no room for it so the super markets take it thats how they can sell it cheap as they get it cheap (also who knows how long that fuel has been standing or were it came from!) so they have many different types of fuell all mixed togther! and do you think a name like ferrari would endorse optimax if it wasent a good fuel? its not like they need the money or advertising! fool

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom