Tesco insurance rip off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chandlerslad

Car
E240 elegance
Hi
I bought a 2004 w211 e240 elegance saloon in September. I quite like the car, BUT, my Tesco car insurance falls for renewal on January 4th.
When I bought the car my insurance went up by £160 for the last 4 months (previous car was a 2007 S type XS diesel auto) I paid £570 for the year btw
I wasn’t impressed but thought all would be sorted upon renewal.
Renewal has just come in at £1460!
I’ve popped onto compare the market for quotes elsewhere and most are around £6-700.
I only have 2 years ncb as I had 8 yrs but had a van for 8 months or so when I renovated our garden 2 years ago and although I used my ncb on it apparently I couldn’t then use it on a private car again as it’s now Commercial ncb. That was HASTINGS direct btw not Tesco.
I’m now seriously considering selling the Mercedes and buying a mini!
I simply cannot justify these rates for a comfy ride.

It's not a rip off unless you have no option but to pay it and Tesco's knows this hence they quote whatever they want. If you don't like the quote go with one of the cheaper ones rather than sell the car.

I’ve popped onto compare the market for quotes elsewhere and most are around £6-700.
I'd go for the £6 one, that's really cheap! :p
Try Aviva plus directly, my insurance dropped dramatically using them.

Just re-read the renewal invitation and they state that last years premium was £1135. Strange because I cannot envisage any circumstances where I’d pay that.
Torn between selling this now and selling after the mot in February as the p/s pump has a whine which will need changing before mot.park sensors are also temperamental in damp weather.
Anyone got a rough idea as to value as is?
2004 e240 elegance 126k tidy looking car heated black leather?

Just re-read the renewal invitation and they state that last years premium was £1135. Strange because I cannot envisage any circumstances where I’d pay that.
Torn between selling this now and selling after the mot in February as the p/s pump has a whine which will need changing before mot.park sensors are also temperamental in damp weather.
Anyone got a rough idea as to value as is?
2004 e240 elegance 126k tidy looking car heated black leather?
Have you changed the oil in the steering rack ? easy and cheap to do . That could get rid of the noise.

Have you changed the oil in the steering rack ? easy and cheap to do . That could get rid of the noise.
I had no idea that that was even possible. Is it power steering fluid or something else?

The trick is that they give you a discount - or some sort of offer - and then in the subsequent renewal use some careful words and tell you what you would have paid without the offer or discount or other circumstances. So a £400 that you actually paid magically becomes a suggestion that your previous year cost £500 and so the £550 that they are quoting to renew looks like a a 10% increase instead of 37.5% increase.

It's a shifty business.

Hi
I bought a 2004 w211 e240 elegance saloon in September. I quite like the car, BUT, my Tesco car insurance falls for renewal on January 4th.
When I bought the car my insurance went up by £160 for the last 4 months (previous car was a 2007 S type XS diesel auto) I paid £570 for the year btw
I only have 2 years ncb as I had 8 yrs but had a van for 8 months or so when I renovated our garden 2 years ago and although I used my ncb on it apparently I couldn’t then use it on a private car again as it’s now Commercial ncb. That was HASTINGS direct btw not Tesco.

Buying a Mini (or any other physically-smaller car) won't necessarily result in cheaper insurance.

If you want to save money on your policy you will need to check the Insurance Group of the car before buying it, then chose your car accordingly:

Car Insurance Groups UK | Motor car insurance groups advice | Parkers

(And, as always, before buying insurance, shop around for best offer)

I had no idea that that was even possible. Is it power steering fluid or something else?
Unless the 2004 W211 E class has reticulating ball steering I am sure it should have a steering fluid expansion tank under the bonnet where the fluid level can be checked. It can be gradually - bit by bit - be suctioned out from here and replaced. The correct method Is to jack the front of the car up, drain the steering rack, replace the filter and top up via the tank under the bonnet. How to guides are online.
I changed the fluid in my steering rack a while back. I went to MB to make sure I got the correct spec.

Try Chris Knott brokers.

Do the meerkat etc, and try direct line.
Saga.

Ive just had a mad moment.
Clutching the renewal letter I went online to Tesco car insurance.
Including DD charges the letter quotes £1466
Online the quote including DD charges was £815.
I even added commuting to the online quote.

you really couldn’t make this up.

Sheila’s Wheels have just quoted £570 for the same cover including DD charges.
Guess who’s getting my money?

Interesting fact here:-
Sheila’s wheels and E-Sure have actually both quoted almost exactly the same premium. There is literally 8pence difference between the pair of them.
The next closest quote is £125 more expensive.

Interesting fact here:-
Sheila’s wheels and E-Sure have actually both quoted almost exactly the same premium. There is literally 8pence difference between the pair of them.
The next closest quote is £125 more expensive.

Sheila's Wheels insurance is underwritten by E-Sure, so yes, basically the same company.

Hi
Do shop around - perhaps Tesco feel that you can't apply your NCD after having a van , but remember most of it was EARNED on a car , and other insurers will probably view this differently .

Someone ,somewhere , will want your business .

Hi

If you wanted to change your insurance back from commercial to private vehicle, you could call the new insurance company directly and see if they would be willing at their discretion.

I have apparently ‘lost’ the 8 years ncb now as the 2 year point has passed. I wouldn’t have been so annoyed but the van was midway through a year and never made a full year or indeed a renewal point. I simply feel I have been shoddily treated by Hastings and will NEVER use them again.

I simply feel I have been shoddily treated by Hastings and will NEVER use them again.

I bit late now but Hastings have been previously mentioned in very dire terms many times before on this forum including I recall from an inside the insurance industry perspective. Strong words like incompetent crooks were used so I made a mental note to avoid them at all costs.

I’ve just pulled the trigger and insured with esure
£465 including courtesy car provision
Strange that I never renewed with Tesco or asked Hastings for a quote eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom