Tesco insurance, what a joke!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt's Dad

Car
E320CDI W211
My Dad had his Range Rover Vogue set on fire while it was parked outside a friends house at the weekend. The Police said it was the third car in three hours that had been torched, and they had all started from the passenger side front wheel arch.

My Dad called his insurance company today (Tesco) and as he's never claimed he just assumed it would be a simple call to get things started - They were trying to find ways out of paying from trhe very first call, they were asking if it had a full MOT, if it had any problems on the last MOT etc etc they even called him back to ask if he knew of anyone that had a grudge against him:confused: The car was collected and the insurance company called and said that stainless steel side steps were fitted on the car, and they would of made it a target to steel the car or attack the car:eek::confused: They have said that because the side steps were not declared that the insurance may be void - my Dad explained that they were on the car when he bought it, and as far as he knew, everything was genuine Land Rover - he's now worried other things like DVD/TV and upgraged wheels, will now be an issue, even though they were fitted from new (so the last owner said)

No one from our family has ever had to claim off of insurance, and it's a bit of an eye opener considering my Dad doesn't know if they will now pay to replace his £20k car:eek:

My Dad called his insurance company today (Tesco) and as he's never claimed he just assumed it would be a simple call to get things started - They were trying to find ways out of paying from trhe very first call, they were asking if it had a full MOT, if it had any problems on the last MOT etc etc they even called him back to ask if he knew of anyone that had a grudge against him:confused:

I would suspect that the underlying insurance company is treating it as a potential fraud which is why the questioning would be a bit more involved and persistent.

Not good, insurance companies are a pain in the ass, always looking for ways not to pay.

Sorry to hear this,

It must happen all the time that people 'don't know if parts fitted are as manufactures spec' especially when buying second hand.

I declare all my mods for this reason, even though the alloys I have are Mercedes options they would have been an upgrade and in my book would make the car more desirable.

If in doubt I guess its best to declare options that look like 'add' ons / aftermarket.

Hope all gets sorted.

Sorry to hear this,

It must happen all the time that people 'don't know if parts fitted are as manufactures spec' especially when buying second hand.

I declare all my mods for this reason, even though the alloys I have are Mercedes options they would have been an upgrade and in my book would make the car more desirable.

If in doubt I guess its best to declare options that look like 'add' ons / aftermarket.

Hope all gets sorted.

Thanks, he hopes so too!

I'm going to call my insurance company and make sure they have listed my AMG wheels/bumpers etc... even though I know they were fitted from the factory (local dealer checked with VIN number when I bought the car)

hope he gets it sorted, he may have to prove he acted in good faith when obtaining insurance and not deliberately held any options back. Best way would be to obtain the sales pictures of the car as it sounds as if he was the second owner, or alternatively a statuary declaration from original owner/garage that these were on there when he bought it.

As for declaring all the factory fit options, this is unecessary, all you need to quote is make, model, shape (ie saloon coupe), engine size and reg number if the car has had no mods since leaving the factory.

On my cars with factory options (which lets face it a high % of Mercs have some) I just make them note the chassis number. This then is a cast iron way of them not wriggling out of paying out, as options can be obtained from such numbers, which insurance companies have access to this facility

Last edited:
It will be a bit of an uphill struggle, but if the mods were not fitted while in his ownerships, and he insists that he had no knowledge that anything has been modified on the car, they'll cough up. There will be several hoops to go through, but they will pay.

I must say that when I had to deal with Tesco regarding a claim it wa really easy and simple. One phone call. Done! Obviously this is different circumstances. Hope it gets sorted!

It may also worth getting written confirmation from the police that it was the third car that had been set ablaze within 3 hours and pass that onto the insurance company.

I must say that when I had to deal with Tesco regarding a claim it wa really easy and simple. One phone call. Done! Obviously this is different circumstances. Hope it gets sorted!

+1.....also NFU

It may also worth getting written confirmation from the police that it was the third car that had been set ablaze within 3 hours and pass that onto the insurance company.

Good idea:thumb: I'll get him to contact the Police - they did say they would call him and issue a crime number, but they haven't yet - and we're used to just having one local Police station here, but it happened in Sheffield, and it appears that there are quite a few stations, so I suppose he'll have to try and find out who came to the scene

I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

Why wouldn't an insurance company ask questions before paying out on a claim?

Tesco warranty were brilliant for me while I was covered, paid up thousands without any excess.

It's very unlikely that Tesco provide the insurance themselves, it will no doubt be underwritten by a more familiar insurance company. Might be worth finding out who?

hope he gets it sorted, he may have to prove he acted in good faith when obtaining insurance and not deliberately held any options back.

This is my understanding of the situation too. The insurance ombudsman doesn't look kindly on companies who try to wriggle out of claims.

As for declaring all the factory fit options, this is unecessary, all you need to quote is make, model, shape (ie saloon coupe), engine size and reg number if the car has had no mods since leaving the factory.

On my cars with factory options (which lets face it a high % of Mercs have some) I just make them note the chassis number. This then is a cast iron way of them not wriggling out of paying out, as options can be obtained from such numbers, which insurance companies have access to this facility

Worth bearing in mind that although your insurance is valid with factory fit options, some companies, noteably Admiral group companies, don't cover the value of options. Write off your loaded Mercedes within 12mths of new and they'll replace it - with a basic model.

Thats a joke alright! I hate how insurance companies work at times and wiggle out of things when they can!

Worth bearing in mind that although your insurance is valid with factory fit options, some companies, noteably Admiral group companies, don't cover the value of options. Write off your loaded Mercedes within 12mths of new and they'll replace it - with a basic model.

Yes, I'd heard this as well and they are on my avoidance list.

My Dad is now worried about his private plate on the car - 2 different peoeple have told him that it is possible to loose it:eek: he went to the DVLA office today to take it off of the car and onto a retention certificate expecting it to be done fairly quickly, and they told him it should be done in about a week.

Hmm, I dont think this is true, Admiral's current Multi-car policy will cover optional extras if you have declared them. (I've just read their latest policy)

But Admiral (and Tesco and most other motor companies) won't cover things you haven't declared to your insurer - I mean, why should they replace them if you haven't paid any additional premiums for them?

Some companies give better cover which does include such things but usually this means they are more expensive, and Tesco aren't exactly known for being expensive are they?:rolleyes:

My Dad is now worried about his private plate on the car - 2 different peoeple have told him that it is possible to loose it:eek: he went to the DVLA office today to take it off of the car and onto a retention certificate expecting it to be done fairly quickly, and they told him it should be done in about a week.

Don't worry, it's good that he has taken steps to put the plate on retention so he won't lose it. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom