TESCO to sell Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At this pace they're going to make Tesco Cars soon...

The RAC also tried this through Black Circles too but it went kinda quiet after a while!

The RAC also tried this through Black Circles too but it went kinda quiet after a while!

Tesco tried car warranties for a while too and then pulled out.

I wouldn't put it past Tesco to set up in competition with Kwik Fit if they think they can make money from it.

I wouldn't put it past Tesco to set up in competition with Kwik Fit if they think they can make money from it.

Or put someone (well, anyone) out of business.

Tesco are too big. Unhealthy and dangerous IMHO.

Shame the Tesco warranties stopped - they were well regarded.

There were press articles years ago about Tesco going into car retailing, at around the time of the block exemption rulings.

Given what a broad range of products Walmart sell in the USA, I'm surprised ASDA didn't beat Tesco to this.

Dangerous ground, given Tesco's size and power, but I'm finding it hard to object to something that could give Kwik Fit a run for their money (assuming of course they do a better job ... which isn't much of a stretch)!

Could you buy tyres from Tesco on Friday, spend the weekend at the Nurburgring, then take them back on Monday for a refund ? .........

img_1637.jpg

Well 'they would wouldn't they' no doubt to be made in some remote region of China by peasants paid a few Chinese groats a day using reclaimed 'rubber products' sourced from the West;)

Shame the Tesco warranties stopped - they were well regarded.

There were press articles years ago about Tesco going into car retailing, at around the time of the block exemption rulings.

I am genuinely suprised they are not, the Tesco brand would sit well with selling cheap mass market second hand cars, like Focus's, Astras etc. Like Arnold Clark in Scotland, only cheaper with better customer service.

However, stories of "duff" cars may well damage the image.

I am genuinely suprised they are not, the Tesco brand would sit well with selling cheap mass market second hand cars, like Focus's, Astras etc. Like Arnold Clark in Scotland, only cheaper with better customer service.

However, stories of "duff" cars may well damage the image.

I wondered if the reason they pulled out of the warranties was because of the level of disputes and the risk to their brand image.

I don't think they could risk dealing with used cars at all - they'd probably team up with one of the large used car supermarket chains such as the one behind webuyanycar to value and offload trade-ins.

I wondered if the reason they pulled out of the warranties was because of the level of disputes and the risk to their brand image.

Probably correct. The world of used cars is not to be taken lightly.

I don't think they could risk dealing with used cars at all - they'd probably team up with one of the large used car supermarket chains such as the one behind webuyanycar to value and offload trade-ins.

Or acquire a major retailer group (Pendragon and such likes) and sell new cars under the tesco banner for discounted prices and as Tesco have a banking division the insurance and finance mechanisms are already there. Perhaps the car would be sold/leased with insurance/finance all thrown into one monthly payment.

Tesco have no real link to car companies so could sell a variety of brands under "value" and "finest" brandings along with finance/insurance.

My old suprise is why not already.

Well 'they would wouldn't they' no doubt to be made in some remote region of China by peasants paid a few Chinese groats a day using reclaimed 'rubber products' sourced from the West;)
Presumably without this valuable hypothetical form of income they'll starve;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom