TESLA 3 details.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
And you thought the Mercedes "sticky-on the dash thing" was big!:eek:
Tesla Model 3 is missing an important feature that no one is talking about ? BGR
model-3-dashboard-panel.jpg

And you thought the Mercedes "sticky-on the dash thing" was big!:eek:
Tesla Model 3 is missing an important feature that no one is talking about ? BGR
model-3-dashboard-panel.jpg
Don't get me wrong, i really like what Tesla are about, but the biggest issue isn't the dashboard tablet... It's the utter lack of clarity as to when anyone of the 400,000 pre-orders will be fulfilled. I know loads of people who preordered one and haven't been told a thing for a year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Great.. the PR machine is alive and well.(and the carwow segment is for the model X not the model 3).. but anyway... when does a particular owner get their car and how much will it cost them really. Not communicated. I was just talking to a friend in Tampa, Florida, who ordered his last year when ordering opened. He still has no idea when (as in which YEAR) he will get his and what his eventual costs will be.

Last edited:
it was clear when placing the pre-order that it would be around mid 17 before much more information to potential owners would be out there. Not there yet, so not surprising there is little official information really.

I was genuinely very interested in the Model S after a test drive last year but upon reflection, I'm really not convinced about the sense in having a touch screen to operate most of the minor controls.
With conventional switches or buttons, you soon get to know your way around the dash in a car by feel, without the need to take your eyes off the road. A touch screen however, is a completely different kettle of fish and even after a long acquaintance wth the car, you still need to take your eyes off the road to use it. I really do think any touch screen in a car which the driver is expected to operate, is a very bad idea. :fail

I was genuinely very interested in the Model S after a test drive last year but upon reflection, I'm really not convinced about the sense in having a touch screen to operate most of the minor controls.
With conventional switches or buttons, you soon get to know your way around the dash in a car by feel, without the need to take your eyes off the road. A touch screen however, is a completely different kettle of fish and even after a long acquaintance wth the car, you still need to take your eyes off the road to use it. I really do think any touch screen in a car which the driver is expected to operate, is a very bad idea. :fail

My thoughts exactly! :thumb:

A touch screen however, is a completely different kettle of fish and even after a long acquaintance wth the car, you still need to take your eyes off the road to use it. I really do think any touch screen in a car which the driver is expected to operate, is a very bad idea. :fail
I completely agree. Tactile switches and buttons are a far better solution.

Saw the Model X yesterday.... the dash there is very similar to the S.

That looks more conventional like the S but still I just can't get to grips with the idea of a big iPad to operate the numerous minor controls. I was highly impressed with the one I drove and at least the stalk and window switches are familiar MB parts though.

On my 204, I like the fact I can access all the functions of the centre screen from the rotary knob in the centre console but maybe that isn't considered hi tech enough for Tesla. Perhaps voice control could be the solution for operating the iPad thing, so long as it works well, like the Amazon Alexa. The MB voice control on my 204 is laughable as it rarely seems to understand my instructions, so I just don't use it any more. Ask for a particular radio station and it would call the office or try to access a destination in the navigation memory and it will select Radio 1.:doh::D

I like the fact that by and large, Teslas look like the sort of car we are used to, unlike some of the all electric vehicles on offer and that I'd just be too embarrassed to be seen in.;) Nevertheless, I still can't persuade myself to go down that route just yet. Maybe when they can charge in minutes rather than hours, but not yet I'm afraid.

18% hike in electricity prices. 100 miles used to cost £4.80 and now it will be about £5.70.

Still cheap compared to petrol or diesel.

Surely that screen must have the same degree of distraction as mobile phone use?

It's like there's a vast ipod attached to the dash, I imagine you'd get pulled if you were driving a regular car whilst operating an ipod?

I just had a look on Autotrader at the Model X, blimey, the top spec model is the same price as a Bentley Bent-Aga.

The Tesla almost drives itself. They have the full raft of semi-autonomous gear on them. I think that's where this is ultimately heading.. to as little driver interaction as possible, so it doesn't matter how distracted they get, the car will take up the slack. Just try that line of defence with the Police in the mean time ;)..

The Tesla almost drives itself. They have the full raft of semi-autonomous gear on them.

It's basically radar cruise control with lane-keeping. The only difference was that Tesla let drivers take their hands off the wheel for extended periods while most manufacturers required them to keep their hands on the wheel at all times.

I still find it amusing that most people think that the existing car companies have been "slow" to get into the electric car market.

The reality is that they've all taken a very close look at electric cars and realised that, for the time being, it's virtually impossible to make a profit on them - something that Tesla keeps proving quarter after quarter.

Investors seem to think that Tesla's Gigafactory will magically reduce the cost of battery packs to the point where everything becomes economically viable but when over 60% of the cost of a battery is the materials and the production process, regardless of location, is heavily automated I'm not sure how many extra savings Tesla will be able to squeeze out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom