TESLA 3 details.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a serious question here. I drive a twenty year old car that works quite well enough. If a Tesla can do that (and there should be no reason why it shouldn't), there has to be a point where fitting a new battery is an economically viable proposition.

I suspect very few people do. I would hazard a guess that most (if not all) were purchased as company car on finance. It really makes no sense spending that much on a car unless you benefit from the low BIK. One wonders however what second hand values will look like on 3-years old Testlas?

The only two in my circle of friends , my friend with the Tesla , and another who runs a Nissan Leaf , both bought them privately .

Just had a look at Tesla's website.... new Model S 75W start at £75k. 2-years old Model S 85W start at £45k. So the car lost £30 - or in other words is worth 60% of the original sale price - after 2 years. That's for the a base model 75W/85W.

Not too bad really, but I suspect not many private buyers will accept a £30k loss outright over 2 years... as said they would have been purchased as company cars on finance.

Last December , when my friend bought his , he just went for a test drive , not all that seriously interested . After the test drive , with which he was hugely impressed , the salesman offered to configure a car for him .

When it turned out that they had a car to his exact spec 'in inventory' , the price came down from £70K to £50K - this was still a new unregistered car - then they gave him £15K trade in on his Jaguar , and told him the £35K balance could be fully funded by the Scottish Govt interest free loan . The loan was approved the next day and he had the car inside a week . Since he's retired ( on a good pension , hence getting the loan ) he's happy to keep the car over the six year term .

Last edited:
Has anyone here placed a deposit on the 3 ?

Yes, my son in law drives a model S and decided to place an order for the 3 for my daughter to use. I like the S but cant see me shelling out close to $100000 for one, anytime soon.
As an existing Tesla owner he was able to order a maximum of 2 and also existing owners are going to be at the front of the queue when they start deliveries, so I asked him to order one for my wife.
Its rumoured that the 1st one was off the production line last Friday. But, as yet we have heard nothing concrete as to when we are going to be able to spec the cars, or how much upgrades will cost.
TBH I wasnt expecting anything before the end of this year or even into the start of 2018. My only worry is that the early ones will be the guinea pigs.

Last edited:
I will learn two new things this coming weekend:
How to ride trials bike properly as I'm going to school....with my next door neighbour who has just got a Tesla X...so I'll learn how that drives too:D:thumb:

I will report on my findings next week;)

Remember too that you'd be operating the iPad lookee-likee with your left hand. I'm so right-handed I'm hard pushed to scratch my own nose with the left.

They are making a UK right hand drive model, aren't they?

As fuel duty, tax & VAT revenues drops as leccy cars gain traction it's inevitable that HMRC will raise or introduce some form of new, likely, motoring tax to make up the difference.

No such thing as a free lunch so I'd expect any monetary benefits from owning / driving a leccy car to be short lived.

I will learn two new things this coming weekend:
How to ride trials bike properly as I'm going to school....with my next door neighbour who has just got a Tesla X...so I'll learn how that drives too:D:thumb:

I will report on my findings next week;)

Son in laws father has owned his X for around a year now. It has not been without its problems. The Christmas light show/soundtrack easter egg was fun.
It would be interesting to hear someone elses thoughts on the X. Personally I am not as keen on that as the S. I know the the gull wing rear doors were a particular source of irritation for SIL's father, which required several returns to Tesla before they were persuaded to work properly.

Went to have a look at one one Sunday and it looks like Tesla use a lot of Mercedes switchgear...

Tesla Model 3's margin for error? Zero

The question is ----can they scale their organisation up for the mass market?

PH-401009999.jpg&Maxw=1200&cci_ts=20160402103600

Went to have a look at one one Sunday and it looks like Tesla use a lot of Mercedes switchgear...
Daimler and Tesla had an alliance from 2009 when Daimler bought around 9% of Tesla for $50m, until 2014 when they ended it and sold their share for $780m (!).

Tesla collaborated on the electric power train for Smart and the B-Class, and Daimler made lots of parts available to Tesla.

Musk is on record as saying that they would have folded without Daimler's funding.

It's a funny old world...

So Daimler is one of the few, (if there are any,) who have made money out of electric cars!

In ten years time we can all look back at these posts and comment accordingly.

I should imagine there will be plenty of posts around the fact that once we are all driving electric cars, the government will hike taxation to cover the fact that they no longer earn a revenue from VED. I would also imagine that those free charging points will all but disappear.

It is very much like the feed in tariff that was offered for having PV arrays on your roof. As soon as they took off, the feed in tariff dropped dramatically.

I would also imagine that you'll have people to reminisce about the good old days of diesel and petrol, just like we have those who buy the big American V8s, or classic cars.

Imagine walking down the High Street, filled with electic cars and all of a sudden someone drives passed in a 2018 E Class diesel. You'll be telling the grandkids that you owned one of them when they were new, and reminiscing about those diesel days.

Old men will be telling each other over a pint of no alcohol beer about the good old days of fossil fuel power, and comparing motors, and how real men and women drove the car themselves, instead of the car driving itself.

Oh yes, we'll all look back and read these threads thinking, how life has changed.

As for Tesla, when Merc, BMW, Audi and Skoda jump fully on to the electric bandwagon, Tesla will probably go by the wayside.

To me the best part of the Tesla X was the use of technology. Press a button to open all 4 doors and they don't hit the wall, satnav that does what ur should do etc. An E63 with Tesla technology & id be happy. The other manufacturers still aren't realising how far in advance Tesla are in my opinion.

Just like they didn't with the Citroen DS but it didn't drive them to the wall.
Motorcycles, boats and aircraft will still be burning liquid fuel for many years to come. Promising though it is, the fuel cell has yet to be made commercially viable and the environmental cost of making the Tesla batteries (And others of like ilk,) is not yet being seen as the cause for concern that, perhaps it ought to. Although millions of viable television sets were scrapped for no good reason and a similar thing may yet happen to radio receivers, people may yet turn against the throw it away and buy a new one culture. Certainly I wouldn't be investing in 5 litre classic cars right now but fuel doesn't have to come out of the ground. Sugar and yeast may yet be of greater benefit
than lithium. The tipping point, if it comes, will be when the electric option costs less than the petrol engine or offers equivalent range and rechargeability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom