Tesla Build Quality Still Isnt Great...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Interesting couple of videos for those thinking to leave MB

According to Sandy Munro, the reason for the poor panel alignment and the inequal shut lines gaps are due to Tesla using a large number of small panels riveted together, but for the new Model Y they will be using single cast large panels which will make this problem go away.

If Tesla made 'normal' cars with ICE engines the company would have folded within no time at all due to pi$$ poor build quality. They were selling an idea , the shareholders are doing very well out of it , and Tesla are not going away any time soon.

The internet has lot's of videos showing Tesla's poor quality . Let's face it most modern cars built by American companies in the USA are not known for their build quality.

Just to put the 4mm tapering gap twixt the door and front wing of that T3 into perspective, when I toured the Sindelfingen plant and witnessed the W204 bodyshell build back in early 2008, the automated inspection process flagged a defect for anything greater than a 0.2mm (0.008") discrepancy on the door gaps. Even the most eagle-eyed would be hard pressed to see that level of variation, but you'd have to be blind not to see a 4mm taper over the depth of a door panel.

Considering the Tesla Model S (the first main-stream car they made) only came out in 2012 - I think they’ve done pretty well tbh. Things will only get better with time re:build quality etc.

Funnily enough pretty much everyone I know who owns a Tesla loves it?

@Cyclone1 how are you finding yours?

How very wrong you are, will re visit in a decade.

More than happy to be wrong :)

They have created the infrastructure, the battery technology and woefully built cars

All other marques actual cars (electric) are years ahead in every single way apart from the batteries/range. - Look at the Taycan, better in everyway apart from its batteries and range.

Considering the Tesla Model S (the first main-stream car they made) only came out in 2012 - I think they’ve done pretty well tbh. Things will only get better with time re:build quality etc.

Indeed. Add returning member @R2D2 to that list too. 👍

Not sure how reliable this comment is, from my favourite Detailer, but his comment was that European Tesla quality and panel alignment suffers from cars being built in Fremont, then disassembled (yes) and taken by rail across the USA to Chicago (?) where they are shipped in containers to Tilburg the Netherlands, for reassembly "within the EU," so avoiding various tariff, quota and international taxation restrictions.

More than happy to be wrong :)

They have created the infrastructure, the battery technology and woefully built cars

All other marques actual cars (electric) are years ahead in every single way apart from the batteries/range. - Look at the Taycan, better in everyway apart from its batteries and range.
I agree in principle that Tesla will largely be a battery / infrastructure supplier but will probably still build cars. They have done an incredible job, but are now valued at $800bn - notwithstanding that this is somewhat ridiculous, they will now have to start to try to justify this and the only way they will is to get the majority of their revenues from markets other than cars. The domestic vehicle market is saturated and extremely competitive (and Tesla have produced decent and slightly groundbreaking cars that are no longer groundbreaking - given that the competition is now doing the same). They will need to be the centre of a huge array of products which harness solar for domestic use (home batteries) - in this they have a chance of being market leader in an entirely new sector that could be huge.

In terms of cars, what they have managed is to create is incredible brand value with the youth! If you put a Tesla and a 911 or AMG GT in a car park surrounded by 10 year olds, they will be all over the Tesla, and this may well be true of a lots of teens too. Incredible to effectively have created the EV market by showing that electric only cars can work (for most requirements) - they have done this by developing batteries that are better than everyone elses, not because their cars are so much better - the existing manufacturers are now building cars which are as good if not better, but Tesla remains at the forefront of storage tech.

They are massively overvalued by any conventional bases though, and you need to be drinking some magic kool-aid to think otherwise......but there are a lot who have drunk (or are drunk)!

Apple are valued at 2.35 trillion

Tesla are fair value at 800bln

Tesla are not really in a good way, they have only just for the first time ever made a profit. They rely on Government funding and subsidies:

It’s been great. It does everything I expected it to do. If you do your research and embrace the change it brings to being transported from A to B, then your appreciation of how game changing it is only increases. As most Forum members on here know I am a confirmed “petrolhead”, so whilst not quite in my top 5 fave cars owned, it’s still done more than enough to tick most boxes.

The build quality isn’t yet on a par with some of the premium brands, but it’s far from poor. The interior is fantastic and still looks stunning. I no longer worry about my two sons jumping in and out of the car after football, as it cleans up incredibly well and I have the white interior.

The Tesla cars now they are becoming more mainstream are being improved constantly. This isn’t just software, but also hardware and build, this is seen in the newer 3 and the Y.

Jules

White interior? White interior? Wipe-clean like the other domestic appliances, but you can drive it, then?

Of course their owners love them; early adopters of anything always do, because to do otherwise would be admitting to having made a mistake. There's a fine line between early adopters and fashion victims...

Until the battery/range/charging time and infrastructure issue is solved, and I can buy a non-fossil-fueled car that I can drive 300 miles, refuel in five minutes at any (now) petrol station, and be able to drive another 300 miles, without compromising battery life, I'm not interested in electric cars. Cost is not an issue; I just don't want one.

I'm a dinosaur driving a dinosaur (well, two, actually)... I've done my research too, and I still worship at the altar of the V8.

Last edited:
Not sure how reliable this comment is, from my favourite Detailer, but his comment was that European Tesla quality and panel alignment suffers from cars being built in Fremont, then disassembled (yes) and taken by rail across the USA to Chicago (?) where they are shipped in containers to Tilburg the Netherlands, for reassembly "within the EU," so avoiding various tariff, quota and international taxation restrictions.
Wow, that must make for an impressively cr@p carbon footprint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom