Tesla Build Quality Still Isnt Great...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure how reliable this comment is, from my favourite Detailer, but his comment was that European Tesla quality and panel alignment suffers from cars being built in Fremont, then disassembled (yes) and taken by rail across the USA to Chicago (?) where they are shipped in containers to Tilburg the Netherlands, for reassembly "within the EU," so avoiding various tariff, quota and international taxation restrictions.
Without proof that sounds like BS.

White interior? White interior? Wipe-clean like the other domestic appliances, but you can drive it, then?

Of course their owners love them; early adopters of anything always do, because to do otherwise would be admitting to having made a mistake. There's a fine line between early adopters and fashion victims...

Until the battery/range/charging time and infrastructure issue is solved, and I can buy a non-fossil-fueled car that I can drive 300 miles, refuel in five minutes at any (now) petrol station, and be able to drive another 300 miles, without compromising battery life, I'm not interested in electric cars. Cost is not an issue; I just don't want one.

I'm a dinosaur driving a dinosaur (well, two, actually)... I've done my research too, and I still worship at the altar of the V8.

The Tilburg facility will serve as the final assembly and distribution point for Model S vehicles sold in Europe

Curiously the live version of that post has since been removed by Tesla (hence the google cached version), however the article has been referenced by various independent news outlets.

Well, here's Tesla's video of Tilburg assembling the model S in 2015

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Irish and Scottish "computer industry" on the 1970's was based on the same quota and tax avoidance devices. As soon as the tax breaks and quotas disappeared, so did the industry.

Well, here's Tesla's video of Tilburg assembling the model S in 2015

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Irish and Scottish "computer industry" on the 1970's was based on the same quota and tax avoidance devices. As soon as the tax breaks and quotas disappeared, so did the industry.
According to 'Car' Magazine in the States, the cars arrive fully built, minus their drivetrains.
Tesla's Dutch factory to double production for Model S and Model X crossover

And... you think that this isn't done for EU tax and quota avoidance?

That you think bodies aren't damaged in the process ?

That the alignment problem that dogs every Tesla is as bad in the States as in Europe?
Yep, you could be right - especially about point 1 otherwise why would they ship 4 almost fully built cars in one container and the motors, batteries and wiring for those cars in another? Unless it's for 'safety' reasons ;)

"StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of charge to a car battery in five minutes in 2025" Let's wait and see, shall we? When are they aiming to have a battery that can be charged to 300 miles in five minutes? And how about the high-mileage businessman who can do twice that - 600 miles - on a tankful of diesel?

“BP has 18,200 forecourts and they understand that, 10 years from now, all these stations will be obsolete, if they don’t repurpose them for charging – batteries are the new oil.”

Now that really is BS, and almost as stupid as that TV ad I've seen showing petroleum being buried and a headstone erected. Will all the petrol-engined cars, and all the hybrids, and all the commercial vehicles, have disappeared from the roads in ten years?

It seems likely that battery technology, and the charging infrastructure, will eventually reach a point where electric propulsion is a viable alternative to ICE propulsion for all applications and uses, and when it does, I'd consider an electric car; ironically, by then I'll probably be gone, or at best only need a local runabout anyway...

We will know when ICE has been completely taken over by battery technology when you can buy a battery powered portable generator. :banana:
some bright spark will come up with one.

I know about 10 years ago Toshiba were working on micro nuclear generators. Effectively built into an isotainer, once they need servicing a lorry drops a new one off, hooks it up and takes the old one away.

White interior? White interior? Wipe-clean like the other domestic appliances, but you can drive it, then?

Of course their owners love them; early adopters of anything always do, because to do otherwise would be admitting to having made a mistake. There's a fine line between early adopters and fashion victims...

Until the battery/range/charging time and infrastructure issue is solved, and I can buy a non-fossil-fueled car that I can drive 300 miles, refuel in five minutes at any (now) petrol station, and be able to drive another 300 miles, without compromising battery life, I'm not interested in electric cars. Cost is not an issue; I just don't want one.

I'm a dinosaur driving a dinosaur (well, two, actually)... I've done my research too, and I still worship at the altar of the V8.
I couldn’t give a shit whether you are bothered about electric cars. I like mine, like I liked all 6 Mercs I’ve owned and like the Mercs and ICE I’ll drive in the future. It’s good to have choice while it lasts.

And I couldn't give a shit what you like. You stated your opinion; I stated mine; other opinions are available. That's the beauty of this forum; it's good to have a choice while it lasts.

And I couldn't give a shit what you like. You stated your opinion; I stated mine; other opinions are available. That's the beauty of this forum; it's good to have a choice while it lasts.
Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom