Tesla Car Fire...No electric car for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
I don’t think that is exclusively an EV problem.

I think its the fact it took 35 fire fighters to put it out, more than the fact it set on fire.

But put any 19 year old in a performance car and it's generally not a good combination.

Old news from 2017..

There have been a few reports of Tesla cars bursting into flames even when parked up and switched off...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Tesla never caught fire but was in a accident with a truck while on auto pilot the car went under the truck between the trailer wheels and the tractor unit this was only a few days ago.

All well documented. We've known this for years

A Fire engine doesn't carry enough water to put out a fire in a Tesla or any EV.

The good news: an EV doesn't carry inflammable petrol. The bad news, if an EV catches fire, on its own, or as the result of a collision, the Fire service can't put it out. It has to burn itself out.

Seattle: A Tesla Model S erupted ‘like a flamethrower.’ It renewed old safety concerns about the trailblazing sedans.

Bloomberg: What First Responders Don’t Know About Fiery Electric Vehicles

UK Dealership fire:Crawley Tesla fire: Half of site damaged in fire

Oh, and then there's that thing about the firemen not being able to open the doors of a Tesla if its electrics fail. If your electrics fail in a collision, the Fire Brigade have to cut you out - neither they, or passers by generally, can just open the doors of the Tesla.
Tesla Model S doors wouldn't unlock as driver burned to death inside, lawsuit alleges

Just teething problems, really.

Last edited:
My Fiat Punto failed an MOT because the rear door would not open from outside. This being a safety issue if the car is involved in an accident the doors should open if not so damaged they will not open.

Oh, and then there's that thing about the firemen not being able to open the doors of a Tesla if its electrics fail. If your electrics fail in a collision, the Fire Brigade have to cut you out - neither they, or passers by generally, can just open the doors of the Tesla.
Tesla Model S doors wouldn't unlock as driver burned to death inside, lawsuit alleges

Just teething problems, really.

Remember this?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You don't put out an electrical fire with water.
Can you ring up Tesla and the UK, European and American Fire Services to tell them that they're wrong.

From Tesla's advice to UK Fire service

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 20.16.50.png

Source: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2016_Model_S_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

That's TESLA's advice to Professional Firefighters.

Yes, they require 11,000 litres of water to put out a fire involving one Tesla Model S battery.

That's TEN times the contents of ONE typical British Fire Engine.

Manageable if the UK Fire Service can connect to a water main, but a serious problem if the collision and fire has happened on a Motorway with no such water main to hand.

One_of_the_LFB%27s_New_Appliances.png

Last edited:
So what should I buy instead of a Tesla then? A Zafira? A Mini? Or perhaps a Volvo?

Avoid a Tesla like the plague, awful cars........I pray it’s not going to catch fire every time I get in the car, fortunately after 7k miles it hasn’t happened, talk about living life dangerously......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom