Tesla Market Capitalisation grows by $140bn in One Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
A mind-boggling fact:

After announcing 2021 Q4 production and deliveries numbers, Tesla gained $140bn in market capitalisation in one day. To put that into perspective, that is more than the total $131.4bn market capitalisation of VW.

Fun fact: That gain values each Tesla car delivered at more than one million dollars.

Utter lunacy.

Utter lunacy.

Bit like cryptocurrencies.

The markets don't care about the actual underlying value of some investments - just the speculative value. Once you get that mindset you're not watching the inherent investment - just the other investors.

The E part of P/E seems to be an irrelevance.

I was convinced that Tesla would be wiped out when the big manufactures started producing EV's. Better not ask me for share tips:fail:

A mind-boggling fact:

After announcing 2021 Q4 production and deliveries numbers, Tesla gained $140bn in market capitalisation in one day. To put that into perspective, that is more than the total $131.4bn market capitalisation of VW.

Fun fact: That gain values each Tesla car delivered at more than one mi
How long before the major funds start cashing in ?
They already have , Scottish Mortgage I/T sold its stake down from something like 15% to 4%+ in the last year

I was convinced that Tesla would be wiped out when the big manufactures started producing EV's. Better not ask me for share tips:fail:
I'd still say that will be the case. Tesla just don't have the manufacturing capacity to compete with the big firms - nor the quality control, but thats another story entirely.

I'd still say that will be the case. Tesla just don't have the manufacturing capacity to compete with the big firms - nor the quality control, but thats another story entirely.
Tesla have been churning out cars like crazy this year and were one of if not the only manufacturer who wasn’t affected by the chip shortage.

I must admit some of the quality control can be an issue although it has vastly improved now. They’ve also started manufacturing in China now and soon also in Germany.

Tesla have been churning out cars like crazy this year and were one of if not the only manufacturer who wasn’t affected by the chip shortage.

I must admit some of the quality control can be an issue although it has vastly improved now. They’ve also started manufacturing in China now and soon also in Germany.
That maybe so, but sooner or later something has to give, which in my opinion will be Musk's obsession with going to Mars. Once he drops the ball, I suspect a major will pick it up.

That maybe so, but sooner or later something has to give, which in my opinion will be Musk's obsession with going to Mars. Once he drops the ball, I suspect a major will pick it up.
Never understood why there’s no much hatred for Tesla. Not related to your post BTW.

Never understood why there’s no much hatred for Tesla. Not related to your post BTW.
I'm guessing its a combination of the Musk love/hate thing, plus issues with the cars, both quality and safety - and perhaps the perceived view (rightly or wrongly) that everyone driving one is effectively a beta tester for the software driving the internals....Just my opinion mind you.

One of the amazing things is how the share price seems to shrug off bad publicity - massive recalls, accusing a guy of being a peadophile, opening up a showroom in Xinjiang, cars crashing themselves etc

Like Pets.com, Enron, CMGI, Hewlett Packard, AIG, RBS / ABN Avro, LTCM, MicroStrategy, Nokia and AOL,

it's impossible to see how Tesla could possibly fail.

A fantastic performing company that owes its amazing performance to one man,

and some very dubious accounting, audit, regulatory and tax techniques,

that all can see.

tulllepe_1024x1024.png

and some very dubious accounting, audit, regulatory and tax techniques
Shhhh... Don't let facts get in the way of blind faith.

Shhhh... Don't let facts get in the way of blind faith.
They rarely do in politics, but business is different. The Tesla bubble will burst, but the technology will remain, and that will be Musk's legacy to the world. The cars themselves? Any of the major manufacturers could do a better job.

They rarely do in politics, but business is different. The Tesla bubble will burst, but the technology will remain, and that will be Musk's legacy to the world. The cars themselves? Any of the major manufacturers could do a better job.
The major manufacturers probably could, but they haven’t.

One might argue that based upon specific criteria (and in glorious isolation) other manufacturers have done better job, but when viewed more broadly across a great number of criteria, the young upstart has caught the establishment napping.

The move to EVs was inevitable, and was already happening, but Musk made it happen sooner. In my opinion that is less about foresight, and more about courage and belief in the power of disruption, using the establishments strengths against them.

The major manufacturers probably could, but they haven’t. One might argue that based upon specific criteria (and in glorious isolation) other manufacturers have done better job, but when viewed more broadly across a great number of criteria, the young upstart has caught the establishment napping. The move to EVs was inevitable, and was already happening, but Musk made it happen sooner. In my opinion that is less about foresight, and more about courage and belief in the power of disruption, using the establishments strengths against them.
Exactly, just like Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple and Amazon, the product innovation was done by other spritely innovators who took risks.

The corporates developed and leveraged the innovation and delivered the product around the globe.

Microsoft and Apple: rubbish innovators who were capable of buying and assimilating products created by others.

The major manufacturers probably could, but they haven’t.
I'm not sure that's entirely the case.

ISTR Daimler invested significantly in Tesla (and have since divested themselves of that investment) and also acted as a "parts bin" supplier to them. That was no accident, IMO.

The Tesla bubble will burst, but the technology will remain, and that will be Musk's legacy to the world. The cars themselves? Any of the major manufacturers could do a better job.
Yes, yes, yes and yes. In that order ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom