Tesla Model 3 @ £26,000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just curious ... when/why do you need to turn the parking sensors off?

My drive gates have bushes, these set the sensors off when there's no danger of collision

I live at the end of a fairly narrow driveway and the sensors do go off sometimes when going in and out, but it's not a big deal for me. I've never bothered to turn the Parktronic off. So having this function in the menus instead wouldn't be a problem, but as they say in the US "YMMV" :)

It's not an issue for me either as it's one button press.

I'll accept and use passive tech but not active tech. I'll never use tech that tries to park for me or change lanes for me or read speed signs for me.

Interestingly the complaint about having to use touch screen to do basic stuff has been levelled at the new Corolla. In my C I can temporarily turn off the parking sensors with a button - quite useful. In the Corolla it's five levels down a touch screen heirarchy.

I see. I do find the road sign recognition useful on my C, especially in unknown areas, although it's slower to read them than my Prius used to. Gosh that's shocking about the Corolla. Looks like the entire industry is thinking the car is now a giant iPhone.

I just drove my C350e after returning from my US trip. A lovely drive compared to many cars but felt quite agricultural to drive in terms of engine/gearbox combination compared to the Model 3. Also after whizzing around on electricity, it's feels quite primitive to be using a thirsty petrol engine to get around, even with the hybrid system. I think I'm definitely going to place my order for the Model 3 (reservation holders should get the invite to configure cars in the UK in the next few months)

@Yugguy Do you use any driver assistance tech at the moment, like adaptive cruise? Does your car have an automatic gearbox or airbags? If so, you have already ceded some control over to the car in terms of it decides when to change gear or when to deploy the airbags. I don't know how it works here, but Tesla mobile service seems quite good in the US where they come out to you.

I have the Mercedes driving assistance pack, and I like all the features and have used them. However, there are issues, some are physical but most cultural...

The one tap lane change in the C Class is great, on French Autoroutes when there are no cars though. Lane keeping assist is great, however it does not allow for some inbred halfwit in the next lane weaving about whilst fiddling with his touch screen or texting on the move, it gets a bit hairy and wont move the cars position. And in urban situations the default position for drivers in England is in your blind spot, so whilst active blind spot assist is good, in most situations in the UK this is useless is it wont allow you to flow into gaps, it has to be a manual process preceded by a good mark one eyeball every time.

The vast majority of English drivers also have a pathological aversion to driving at a constant speed, over/under reacting to threats and risk, doing 60mph for no reason followed by burst of 95mph again for no reason whatsoever. I don't know anyone who uses cruise control, usually with the excuse they can do it better which is utter rubbish. I genuinely think distronic with stop go pilot is one of the most sorted driver assistance systems on any car, however on busy English roads, it can get caught out by the ****wit factor, people diving into gaps at the last minute, or breaking excessively for speed cameras and such like, to the point where I don't feel confident using it. I drove a Renault with a similar system recently, it was outright dangerous in my opinion, I can only hope as per my previous statement most drivers wont attempt to use it.

The bottom line with this is that driver attitudes are the reason why self driving cars won't succeed at this time. We are already at peak driver tech. Self driving cars either assume all responsibility, and remove driver interaction completely, or we stay where we are. The problem both here and in the US is the issue of responsibility. Unless the law is changed, the driver is always responsible regardless of whether or not he tried to override the systems or a bad piece of software was the cause. The Boeing 787max issue is exactly what we are talking about here, a piece of software developed for safety but actually hampers and goes against pilot training, with catastrophic results. In the Aviation and the Maritime industry we often see accident reports cite a common cause of grounding/collision/allision/ground contact as 'Instrument Blindness', where a pilot or navigator fails to observe his surroundings for him/herself, relying solely on his/her instruments with out any way of checking the instruments and or software are functioning correctly. Most certainly, 99% of car drivers do not have the education, training and spacial awareness (even reaction time) of pilots or navigators, so I fear this folly of autonomous driving will not end well, and the arrogance of the Teslarati is staggering when attempting to discuss this.

As visionary as Musk is (I think the guy is full of **** but that's my opinion again) self driving cars are pie in the sky unless manufacturers step and assume total responsibility for the tech. And as Tesla have shareholders, that will never, ever happen. Even if the law changes.

More than 99% in fact. Only one in 2,600 people in the UK hold a pilot's licence (and at least one of us had to teach myself the necessary spatial awareness!)
Musk is to be congratulated for bringing a successful EV to a volume market. They are not an uncommon sight in the UK and seem to have an adequate infrastructure. For the time being. Put one into the market with a £35k price tag and that might wilt. Two things are certain, electricity prices won't and the emissions will only be shifted to somewhere else.

Last edited:
I have the Mercedes driving assistance pack, and I like all the features and have used them. However, there are issues, some are physical but most cultural...

The one tap lane change in the C Class is great, on French Autoroutes when there are no cars though. Lane keeping assist is great, however it does not allow for some inbred halfwit in the next lane weaving about whilst fiddling with his touch screen or texting on the move, it gets a bit hairy and wont move the cars position. And in urban situations the default position for drivers in England is in your blind spot, so whilst active blind spot assist is good, in most situations in the UK this is useless is it wont allow you to flow into gaps, it has to be a manual process preceded by a good mark one eyeball every time.

The vast majority of English drivers also have a pathological aversion to driving at a constant speed, over/under reacting to threats and risk, doing 60mph for no reason followed by burst of 95mph again for no reason whatsoever. I don't know anyone who uses cruise control, usually with the excuse they can do it better which is utter rubbish. I genuinely think distronic with stop go pilot is one of the most sorted driver assistance systems on any car, however on busy English roads, it can get caught out by the ****wit factor, people diving into gaps at the last minute, or breaking excessively for speed cameras and such like, to the point where I don't feel confident using it. I drove a Renault with a similar system recently, it was outright dangerous in my opinion, I can only hope as per my previous statement most drivers wont attempt to use it.

The bottom line with this is that driver attitudes are the reason why self driving cars won't succeed at this time. We are already at peak driver tech. Self driving cars either assume all responsibility, and remove driver interaction completely, or we stay where we are. The problem both here and in the US is the issue of responsibility. Unless the law is changed, the driver is always responsible regardless of whether or not he tried to override the systems or a bad piece of software was the cause. The Boeing 787max issue is exactly what we are talking about here, a piece of software developed for safety but actually hampers and goes against pilot training, with catastrophic results. In the Aviation and the Maritime industry we often see accident reports cite a common cause of grounding/collision/allision/ground contact as 'Instrument Blindness', where a pilot or navigator fails to observe his surroundings for him/herself, relying solely on his/her instruments with out any way of checking the instruments and or software are functioning correctly. Most certainly, 99% of car drivers do not have the education, training and spacial awareness (even reaction time) of pilots or navigators, so I fear this folly of autonomous driving will not end well, and the arrogance of the Teslarati is staggering when attempting to discuss this.

As visionary as Musk is (I think the guy is full of **** but that's my opinion again) self driving cars are pie in the sky unless manufacturers step and assume total responsibility for the tech. And as Tesla have shareholders, that will never, ever happen. Even if the law changes.

@unimog - Ah that's very useful to know. Thanks for sharing. I use Distronic Plus in London when on the 40 and 50mph roads. It's not that bad actually, even if other drivers behave erratically.

Personally, from the scientific literature that I've examined, the consensus is that self driving cars in Europe are 30-40 years away (in terms of mass rollout, regulation and adoption)

So I contacted the owner of the Model 3 that I rented in California, I asked him a few things.

Car was built in December 2018

I did manage to find out that the issue where the screen went black and the system rebooted at 65mph has happened before to the owner (when the car was doing system updates) - He has reported this to Tesla via bug reports, and says that these bugs are normally resolved with new software updates.

In terms of the reversing camera showing a black screen, apparently from time to time, it takes a while for the camera lens cover to either open, or it doesn't open at all on that occasion.

Well Tesla are having trouble making cars in the first quarter,they are well adrift from the full year 500,000 cars they said they would make and dear old Musk is going to get another big fine from Securities people in the US.

I will be back in the USA next week and have booked a Tesla Model 3 Performance model. Hopefully, it will get the new Navigate on Autopilot update that just got announced today where the driver doesn't need to confirm the lane change. Introducing a More Seamless Navigate on Autopilot

Does anyone want me to check anything in particular with the Performance model? I have it for 2 days. The owner has already warned me to watch out for potholes on the streets, as for some reason, the 20 inch rims on the Tesla Model 3 seem to crack/get damaged very easily if you drive over a pothole.

Perhaps one reason for this " hesitation" on future investment is the continued trade dispute between China and the USA instigated, perhaps with some justification, by Donald Trump's government. If there's one thing recent events have taught us is that modern car manufacturing plants reliant on "just in time" international component supply are paranoid about continuity of supply and certainty of political climate. They may be accused of over-reaction but despite that criticism it still seems to play a large part in their thinking when contemplating future investment strategy.

Tesla will no longer sell cheaper Model 3 online

Tesla Inc. stopped online sales of the $35,000 base version of its Model 3 car weeks after introducing it, the latest shift in sales tactics as the company struggles to deliver long-promised affordability and avoid losing money.

The company’s TSLA, -0.27% announcement late Thursday said customers can still order the $35,000 version of the car by telephone or in its network of stores. But it effectively raises the minimum price of the Model 3 by nearly 13% for online shoppers, after announcing in late February that it was shifting its sales to the internet as it began making the $35,000 “standard” version available for order.

In a blog post Thursday, Tesla said the move was to “simplify our production operations to better optimize cost, minimize complexity and streamline operations.”

Read: Tesla stock falls after report that Gigafactory expansion is on hold

The announcement marked the fourth change to the compact car’s starting price this year, and followed worse-than-expected deliveries of Tesla vehicles in the first quarter, which raised questions among investors about demand for the company’s electric vehicles.

An expanded version of this story can be found at WSJ.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom