Tesla Model 3 Performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W218 CLS63 S AMG
So I’ve finally bitten the bullet and have a Tesla. Curiosity killed the cat and given the advances in the capability of electric vehicles, then for me it’s the right time to give it a go.

The car is far from perfect. It’s common knowledge that the overall quality isn’t on a par with more mainstream brands such as Mercedes, BMW and Audi, however it’s not far behind. It is clear that it is the technology that you are buying and the “structure / build quality is getting there”. So if you go in with your eyes wide open, then you know what to expect.

Mine appears to be a decent example with only one minor blemish on collection from Tesla. It drives very well indeed, it’s comfortable, but with very decent handling and performance. I am enjoying the technology as well as the minimalist fuss free interior. Everyone who has been in the car have been impressed.

It is fair to say it’s no beauty to look at, but with a few subtle enhancements I’ve got it looking how I want it to. Which I am happy with.

Do I prefer It to my AMG? Absolutely not, but Am I glad I’ve switched to electric then yes! If the AMG sells then I will replace it with an older Mercedes or similar that I will restore, enhance, modify etc. I’ve wanted to do this for a while, so would mean I still have an exciting ICE alternative.

A few pics......
D475D5EF-02D1-4C3A-A8E4-1E2B25999A93.jpegB3F4D127-BFBD-4B7B-A64A-2EBBA49E7276.jpegAE1FA269-46E6-4C05-B705-1E8CE0C412D7.jpeg288C12B6-5529-4A99-9789-4B8223CD1EFC.jpeg25D054BF-3643-4FAA-A9E6-98FAB4C5BF4F.jpeg05AB66AF-DC03-40BB-8D38-FE0047CCEFE0.jpegFB56E051-B13D-4785-8C4E-3DD8343C2219.jpeg79ED5107-BAEA-40FF-AD67-8876D6162DD6.jpegA8C8D0AA-9759-45F6-A2DB-6913B6579AE2.jpeg

I really don't think they look that bad. Like the Colour combination.

It will be interesing to hear your long term review :)

I really don't think they look that bad. Like the Colour combination.

It will be interesing to hear your long term review :)
I’ve done a few enhancements to get it like that but nothing too costly, mainly cosmetic. I’ll definitely update on ownership experiences as although there isn’t a lot of appetite for EV cars on the forum currently, I am sure there are some lurkers in the background, just like I was haha!

I do like the styling with the exception of that blank look on the front, personally I would have to put some form of grille or painted panel there.
Hope you get plenty of trouble free motoring with it.

I like the shape of them actually, rear arches have the air of Jag XK.

Is it quick Jules?

I like the shape of them actually, rear arches have the air of Jag XK.

Is it quick Jules?
Cheers.
Yes it’s very quick from standstill and sub 30. But it’s quite a relaxed drive and I never feel like I want to keep my foot down or drive fast everywhere. Maybe I’m spoiled by having had the three AMG’s.

I would like to hear how an owner who has a history of modified cars gets along with it, and experiences of Tesla service or lack there of.

I see a few people wanting to modify having issues with tesla's approach to its product family, not unlike Apple and its expensive protected eco system being closed to anyone who does not cross its palm with (a lot of) silver.

There is another Forum member who has the Model 3, whose name escapes me.

I really like the look. Except that screen - looks like somebody has just jammed a large iPad on the dash. Incidentally, does that pass safety tests? Strikes me as potentially dangerous in the event of a crash?

What is rear space like in the real world?

I really like the look. Except that screen - looks like somebody has just jammed a large iPad on the dash. Incidentally, does that pass safety tests? Strikes me as potentially dangerous in the event of a crash?

What is rear space like in the real world?
Think it does well in all of the Crash tests etc, so think the screen will be fine. It doesn’t obscure vision at all as the front screen Viewing area is massive.

Rear space is C Class level I guess. I’ve had adults in the back for test drives and there were no complaints. I’ve also been in the back of one and at over 6ft it was fine.

I would like to hear how an owner who has a history of modified cars gets along with it, and experiences of Tesla service or lack there of.

I see a few people wanting to modify having issues with tesla's approach to its product family, not unlike Apple and its expensive protected eco system being closed to anyone who does not cross its palm with (a lot of) silver.
No problem, I’ll keep the thread updated.

Thanks for this...........I confess to having an interest in these.

For many (including myself), cost of luxury PEV's is beyond justifiable budget & running an older on one a few years down the line brings cost fears of future motor or cells.

New on monthly payments arguably the sensible way to go if not doing starship annual mileage.

Thanks for this...........I confess to having an interest in these.

For many (including myself), cost of luxury PEV's is beyond justifiable budget & running an older on one a few years down the line brings cost fears of future motor or cells.

New on monthly payments arguably the sensible way to go if not doing starship annual mileage.
Yes it is a bit of an unknown on the newer models. But so far residuals after a year / two years on the model 3 are very strong indeed (5-10% v 35% on ICE). However, this could be driven by current high demand v limited supply (even during CV-19). Batteries currently are targeted to last between 300-500k miles, with the million miles battery due later this year or 2021. So for me not a major issue as mine will unlikely get to 50k miles before I move it on.

Many go down the lease route v buying, many are company cars, which becomes attractive due to the current BIK at 0/1/2%. Many are buying outright, some then trade back in against newer models with minimal loss (model 3’s).

Servicing is minimal. No engine and associated items to worry about. The battery condition is visible on the screen and is a non serviceable item. So it’s just the regenerative brakes that’ll need replacing (discs and pads), but these should last beyond 100k miles. Outside of that are windscreen wipers and tyres.

Charging options are interesting. I’m awaiting my home charger to be installed. So currently I’m using a 3 pin plug so it’s slow. However, there is a free 150kW charger nearby that I’ve used a couple of times to top it up. We’ve also looked at switching electricity providers who offer incentives for EV cars which should see us pay less per month v what we pay now despite having the car as well.

Hope this helps.

The Merc looks way better in my opinion but the Tesla’s do intrigue me.

The performance from start on Tesla is rapid, probably not much will beat them from a standing start.

Robin

Congratulations - nice colour, and as you know, I'm a fan of the white interior! I totally agree on the relaxed drive - I definitely drive more gently in it than previous cars, despite it being the fastest car I've ever owned. Will be interesting to hear your views over time, especially given the very powerful modded cars you've had before this.

Congratulations - nice colour, and as you know, I'm a fan of the white interior! I totally agree on the relaxed drive - I definitely drive more gently in it than previous cars, despite it being the fastest car I've ever owned. Will be interesting to hear your views over time, especially given the very powerful modded cars you've had before this.
Cheers Peter and thanks for the advice you gave me prior to pushing the button.

Reactions: PXW
Never saw this coming J. I had you down for an AMG GT of some sort.
It will be interesting reading your views on ownership over time.
Congrats:thumb:

That massive etch-a-sketch screen is a horrendous distraction for me.

It was even more of a distraction for a colleague who was showing off his Tesla....let’s say his passenger seat had rouched leather..

Never saw this coming J. I had you down for an AMG GT of some sort.
It will be interesting reading your views on ownership over time.
Congrats:thumb:
I nearly pushed the button on an S63 Coupe, but the fact it’s the same platform as my CLS eventually stopped me. I love the looks of the S as much as my CLS and the interior is on another level, but performance and mods would be the same.

Next option was a 4wd AMG Merc, but the ones I want become too expensive an ownership proposition, once I add on the upgrades I like to do.

Next option was to go sensible / electric or obscure (eg Aston / Maser) and either keep the CLS63 or buy an older Mercedes and restore / enhance / upgrade. This is the option I’ve gone for:thumb:. If my CLS sells then I’ll search for an older Merc, if it doesn’t then I’ll keep it and have the polar opposites of the current car world....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom