Tesla pre-sells all 2012 Model S output

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
If it goes as well as it looks :thumb: Very Maseratiesque.

model_s_small.jpg

Great looking car, I wonder what the range is. At $49,000 (£65,000 :rolleyes:) I'm not surprised they've sold out.

I convert US$ 49,000 to about £31,000 which is even better value should you be one of the 2012 lucky purchasers of the Model S

Nice colour, not keen on the bloated style, give me an Aston any day, I often see on the way to work and always marvel at the lines.

Tesla seem to be gathering a following, just passed me by I’m afraid. But a least its one problem I wont have to worry about, unless 6 17 24 34 45 49 come up on the lottery tonight.

I convert US$ 49,000 to about £31,000 which is even better value should you be one of the 2012 lucky purchasers of the Model S

You may have missed Stratman's "rolling eyes" emoticon, indicating he was referring to what $49,900 would translate into by the time the car is available here. ;)

i think the front end looks like the new jag and the rear the aston martin

It's actually designed by an Ex Mazda designer.

I contacted Tesla about this when first launched, but can't remember if I put my name on the list.
It will be very interesting to see the range. There are three different battery packs each costing $10,000 difference but giving different range. iirc, the top one is about 250 miles.

EDIT.

Just checked it's 300 miles range. 160miles, 230miles or 300 miles.

Last edited:
So not on sale in the UK for another year yet ("autumn 2013").

Interesting though.

Wonder how the range is being measured. On a car with lots of goodies having 'normal' electrical consumers like aircon, running lights, satnav, audio etc. on will presumably have a significant impact.

That was my point though - if it's 300 miles in 'ideal conditions' i.e. with just about everything electrical switched off and driven like a nun that's possibly not so impressive.

In fairness, I suspect 300miles would allow for >95% of people to do their daily travels.

HID are only 50-100W - that sounds like a very small % verses the power to keep a +2000kg vehicle travelling at 50mph

300 miles would be fine ... if that turns out to be a real-world figure.

300 miles would be fine ... if that turns out to be a real-world figure.

I would expect that range to be as variable as it is with today's engines ie. worse in stop/start driving with plenty of acceleration cycles. But then people who do that also rarely do 300 miles. We'll see in time :)

Thing is though that if you use a bit more petrol/diesel than expected you can just pull over and fill up. Whereas you're in trouble if you find that you're 50 miles short of reaching your destination in an EV! And I'd have thought that having 4 people in the car and aircon/lights/satnav/ICE etc. running could easily make that sort of difference, never mind driving style.

1 horsepower = ~750 watts (that's a lot of juice)

In steady state speed whether the car is 2100kg (1 driver) or 2400kg (1 driver + 3 passengers + luggage) the additional energy used will be minimal compared to the speed the car is doing and the number of acceleration cycles it does.

If you go on to Spritmonitor and just choose one vehicle you'll see a massive spread of mpg variation. This isn't due to one car using lights or not, or aircon, but how the car is driven. I'm expecting the same to be electric cars.

But granted, if you begun your 200mile journey and with 50miles to go see you only have a range of 20 miles you're going a touch annoyed, regretting overtaking all those HGV along the way :)

But granted, if you begun your 200mile journey and with 50miles to go see you only have a range of 20 miles you're going a touch annoyed, regretting overtaking all those HGV along the way :)

True, but even more so if your additional power consumption wasn't self-inflicted (traffic jams, diversions, etc.)!

300 miles would do a days touring and with a charge point or two along the way one of these would suit my touring habits perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom