Tesla S Bursts into Flames Whilst Recharging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's got to be worry for owners, just at a time when the supercharger network is building and some big corporates are putting chargers in their car parks making it just about viable in the UK (Well south of Lancashire anyway).

Nice car to drive but imagine if that had been plugged into his home charging unit.....

James.

Might be something connected with the extra high current employed at Supercharger locations?

Would be very worrying if something simple that could happen at domestic chargers...

Have to wait for the investigation, could be the charger was tampered with in some way but still a little worrying :eek:

Frozen or partially frozen batteries? Nothing worse than a lithium fire burns so fierce. That's why some airlines have stopped you carrying spare computer batteries or power banks.

I saw another report of this incident yesterday which suggested the 'Supercharge' point had only been fitted temporarily, awaiting permanent installation. The inference was it hadn't been installed correctly and it was that which initiated the fire.
We would obviously need to wait for the full investigations, but given the necessarily high current used by these charge points, it wouldn't require too much imagination to see how an incorrect installation could cause problems.

Why hasn't the snow melted around the car?.

Cars that I have recovered after being burnt out.
Always have melted snow round them.

Last edited:
There would appear to be a fundamental difference between the home charger set up and the SUPERCHARGER setup. With the home charger all that is required is a high current AC supply--- conversion of the domestic alternating current to DC charging voltage and subsequent charge control is performed by the cars own on-board charging unit. With the SUPERCHARGER set up high DC charging current is supplied by the charging station directly the battery pack by several lines in parallel- with charge control supplied by the Supercharger unit. Two different scenarios- leading me to believe the fault may lie with the SUPERCHARGER UNIT.:dk:

This supercharger has been there for a while, it is not that cold there now either.
Approximately 0 degrees.
Police will do the investigation.
Video VGTV

Looking from the video viewpoint it would appear the right hand charging point is "on fire " first- presumably thats the charge point connected to the car. The left hand charge point and central unit appear undamaged at this point to till consumed by the fire's spread. Most likely scenario might be a damaged connection cable/connector possibly by being "stretched" too often

tesla-supercharging-station.jpg

Last edited:
Comparataive figures for charging rates
Home Charger

AC 220V/ 20-30 Amps

Supercharger Point.

DC 360V/ 255 Amps

Altho I can't ratify these figures its easy top see that the supercharger set up would require top notch electrical connections to carry such currents. Any poor connections would be the focus of rapid localised heating resulting in a fire.

Comparataive figures for charging rates
Home Charger

AC 220V/ 20-30 Amps

Supercharger Point.

DC 360V/ 255 Amps

Altho I can't ratify these figures its easy top see that the supercharger set up would require top notch electrical connections to carry such currents. Any poor connections would be the focus of rapid localised heating resulting in a fire.

Yes, they are the ratings Tesla told me when I drove one of their cars recently. It's certainly something Tesla need to address pronto to find the cause if this isn't to happen again and tarnish the image of electric cars before they've really had a chance to make many inroads.

Interestingly though, I believe there has been a very high take up of electric cars in Norway, not just Teslas, so I'm guessing the potentially intense cold can't be too much of a problem for them generally. It will obviously reduce range, but that doesn't seem to bother them too much.

Last edited:
One less useless battery car on the road
Can only be a good thing imo
Don't see the appeal myself, still not saving the planet and definitely not 0 emissions

Most of these other fires appear to have been started by a Tesla being in collision with some object first thus damaging the battery pack integrity. Once alight these lithium ion batteries are extremely difficult to extinguish until they exhaust their combustible material it seems, meaning its containment rather than extinguishing.

Most of these other fires appear to have been started by a Tesla being in collision with some object first thus damaging the battery pack integrity. Once alight these lithium ion batteries are extremely difficult to extinguish until they exhaust their combustible material it seems, meaning its containment rather than extinguishing.

After those fires caused by damaged batteries from road debris, Tesla fitted a titanium reinforcing shield in front of the battery pack to deflect away from them.
It is still early days for electric cars and I imagine there are bound to be teething problems associated with them but, having driven a couple of them now, I really do think they have a future. I believe there are exciting battery developments on the way which will eventually extend the range to a very useable level. I've decided they aren't for me just yet, but keeping a very open mind.

When they come up with something that can tow a two-ton 'van for a range of 350 miles without refuelling I'll have one. Including the occasional alpine pass that is :D

Don't see the appeal myself, still not saving the planet and definitely not 0 emissions

Depends.

The Scandanavians and Baltics are edging close to a fully renewable energy grid. Most of the countries obtain at least 50% of their energy from renewable sources.

Based on this, the outcome becomes far more effective as there's no "out of sight out of mind" electric source like we have in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom