Tesla S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think it matters in the big scheme of things if Tesla are not long term players in EV production & development. What's important is that Tesla push the tech of EV's to new heights, by themselves with partners or by simple competition from the mainstream auto manufacturers or even a new EV manufacturer.

If the Tesla legacy is only the above they will have served consumers very well at least in the medium term.

I don't think it matters in the big scheme of things if Tesla are not long term players in EV production & development. What's important is that Tesla push the tech of EV's to new heights, by themselves with partners or by simple competition from the mainstream auto manufacturers or even a new EV manufacturer.

If the Tesla legacy is only the above they will have served consumers very well at least in the medium term.

But mainstream auto manufacturers seem to be far more interested in hybrids of various kinds - mainly to overcome criticism of lack of range and power...and they are outselling Tesla by several orders of magnitude.

But mainstream auto manufacturers seem to be far more interested in hybrids of various kinds - mainly to overcome criticism of lack of range and power...and they are outselling Tesla by several orders of magnitude.

Wouldn't disagree with you. Just wish I could afford to fill a barn with cars along with an i8 too.

and they are outselling Tesla by several orders of magnitude.
I see what you mean...

With 2013 sales data now fully in the books, a class leader has been declared: Tesla Model S.

US sales for the Model S in 2013 checked in at ~ 17,650 units, which puts Tesla’s electric sedan well ahead of its large luxury sedan competitors.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class: 13,303
BMW 7 Series: 10,932
Lexus LS: 10,727
Audi A8: 6,300
Porsche Panamera: 5,421

Ford managed to build something like 400 000 cars in it's first ten years without any subsidies. And that was a hundred years ago.

We didn't have a planet full of cars then though ....

I see what you mean...
With 2013 sales data now fully in the books, a class leader has been declared: Tesla Model S.
US sales for the Model S in 2013 checked in at ~ 17,650 units, which puts Tesla’s electric sedan well ahead of its large luxury sedan competitors.
Mercedes-Benz S-Class: 13,303
BMW 7 Series: 10,932
Lexus LS: 10,727
Audi A8: 6,300
Porsche Panamera: 5,421

" mainstream auto manufacturers seem to be far more interested in hybrids of various kinds - mainly to overcome criticism of lack of range and power...and they are outselling Tesla by several orders of magnitude"

"2013 US sales of the Tesla Model S, a bit below 20,000, have led cumulative global sales of the Model S passed the 25,000 marker, according to reports."

Global Sales Of Tesla Model S May Have Surpassed 25,000 | CleanTechnica

Worldwide Sales of Toyota Hybrids Top 6 Million Units | Corporate

So, sales of Prius family models alone outstrip Tesla by several orders of magnitude. Just Prius.

"Honda has announced that cumulative global sales for its hybrid vehicles have passed the 1 million unit mark. That goal was reached at the end of September 2012 and took Honda 12 years and 11 months from the date it first started selling a hybrid vehicle, the Honda Insight, in Japan"

Honda announces global hybrid vehicle sales reach 1 million units - SlashGear

You're both talking about different things.

BTW Tesco sold more apples than Tesla sold Model S ;)

Originally Posted by balge
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones Jr

"But mainstream auto manufacturers seem to be far more interested in hybrids of various kinds - mainly to overcome criticism of lack of range and power...and they are outselling Tesla by several orders of magnitude. "

That's what I was talking about, which would have been more obvious if I hadn't been quoted out of context...

^ #765 Yes, he also owned all the support industries.

Last edited:
I was just browsing another car related forum I frequent, which is a bit more car focused and a bit less chest beating coupled with old farts political debating society.

I was just browsing elsewhere too and saw this http://www.dmawards.com half expecting Tesla to win the DM award for Environmental Product of the Year.

But no.

Impressive, good to see they not only know batteries!

Below is a post taken from another forum..Tesla is probably one of the very safest cars in the world.

Model S is one of just a few cars to have ever achieved a 5-star safety rating from both Euro NCAP and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Additionally, Model S is the only car this year to have achieved both a 5-star Euro NCAP rating and 5 stars in every NHTSA subcategory, including frontal impact, side impact, and rollover. Only two other cars have earned the same recognition since 2011 (when NHTSA introduced its latest rating scheme).

The reason so few models achieve 5-star ratings in both Europe and the U.S. is that each program places emphasis on different safety aspects in the assessment process. NHTSA emphasizes structural and restraint safety, with a deep focus on how well the vehicle can withstand and absorb the energy of an impact while protecting its occupants. It is also primarily concerned with adult occupants. On the other hand, Euro NCAP assesses a wider range of scenarios, including tests for child and pedestrian safety. Unlike for NHTSA, active safety is also an important part of Euro NCAP’s 5-star requirement. Every year, the European organization raises the standard for a 5-star rating to account for technological advances in the industry.

The dual 5-star ratings for Model S validate our holistic approach to safety. We have been engineering passive and active safety systems in parallel, so the car is structurally sound and is also designed to intelligently anticipate and react to potentially dangerous situations.

Structurally, Model S has advantages not seen in conventional cars. It has a low center of gravity because its battery pack, the largest mass in the car, is positioned underneath the passenger compartment, making rollover extremely unlikely. It also has a large front crumple zone because of the lack of an engine, meaning it can absorb more energy from a frontal impact, the most common type of crash resulting in fatalities. Its body is reinforced with aluminum extrusions at strategic locations around the car, and the roof can withstand at least 4 g’s. It was for these reasons that Model S achieved 5 stars in every subcategory when tested by NHTSA in 2013.

This quarter, we started implementing the Model S active safety system in conjunction with the introduction of new Autopilot hardware, consisting of 12 ultrasonic sensors that sense up to 16 feet around the car, a forward-looking camera, a forward radar, and a digitally controlled, high-precision electric brake boost. We specifically selected this hardware to accommodate the progressive introduction of new safety features via software updates over the course of the next several months.

While the features already pushed to the Model S fleet – Lane Departure Warning and Speed Limit Warning – have proven sufficient to merit a 5-star NCAP rating, we will go much further with active safety systems. Features coming soon include Forward and Side Collision Warning and Avoidance, Blind Spot Warning, and Automatic Emergency Braking.

Safety has always been Tesla’s top priority, and we remain committed to continuously improving Model S to ensure that adults, children, and pedestrians alike receive the best possible protection from the car and its technology. In the meantime, Model S owners can be secure in the knowledge that this recognition from Euro NCAP reaffirms their car’s outstanding safety qualities.

Last edited:
:thumb:

[YOUTUBE]kG6veF_34QE#t=22[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, seen this doing the rounds.

That Tesla is a seriously quick machine.:rock:

I'd be interested to see what the Dodge could do in the hands of someone who can actually drive in a straight line.:fail

The Hellcat can supposedly post an 11sec something quarter mile too. Looks like they need a better driver :) Amazingly lacking in drama from the Tesla!

The 691 Horsepower ?Tesla Model S P85D Does 0-60 In 3.2 Seconds

691 horsepower 2motors 4wd

gkwpqvgcuf05wcpurqvs.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom