Test drive in a Subaru Forester Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim203

Ashburton motor works very kindly lent me their Demonstrator so we could have a look at certain things. After trailer ing it halfway around England I finally drove it today for 100 miles.
All I can say if you're looking for something in this size it's a great car. The boxer is sooo quiet, great power delivery too. Tons of space, you could actually seat 5 people comfortably in this car. The interior is attractive , controls easy to use , I jumped in after off loading it from the trailer and managed to blue tooth my phone, find a radio channel, suds the air con and cruise etc. and believe me I am no computer geek.Visibility is a revelation and what really appealed to me is that you don't have to climb up into it like big 4x4s or sit down into it with lower cars, but simply sit down. Great for people who are struggling with their mobility.
For £27K it's a lot of 4x4 that embarrasses a lot of other cars with accommodation, general drive ability and ride and handling plus a truly beautifully engine.
Finally thanks to Ashburton Subaru. You guys helped us out big time.

Scoobs are really very good cars. I once owned an '05 Outback with the 3L flat 6 petrol which, apart from its extraordinary thirst, was so very smooth and quiet and felt bombproof. The diesels have obviously overcome the thirst problem and it's good to hear they don't appear to have lost any of the other attributes.
I've been considering another to replace my current MB, so will definitely look at another Subaru.

Scoobs are really very good cars. I once owned an '05 Outback with the 3L flat 6 petrol which, apart from its extraordinary thirst, was so very smooth and quiet and felt bombproof. The diesels have obviously overcome the thirst problem and it's good to hear they don't appear to have lost any of the other attributes.
I've been considering another to replace my current MB, so will definitely look at another Subaru.

Same car as me I've had the Outback, Legacy Spec B and Impreza Sti all great cars and bombproof. That boxer diesel just doesn't work for me though but thats probably because I have a downer on diesels. I nearly went for the new Sti but it drinks fuel and is same bhp but nearly 1 second slower than my Golf which is 3 times more economical due to the Kers pack and the fact I get 80% of my daily commute done in electric mode, so definitely made the right decision if my annual mileage drops I'd have another in a heartbeat though

Fuel thirst has been a rather unfortunate Achilles heel of Subarus for a long time now and, for me, does slightly marr their otherwise excellent build, fit, finish and longevity.
I would prefer to go petrol every time, all things being equal, but the economics of diesel in my everyday car still currently makes more sense. I'd be interested to see a long term review of the Forester with regards to economy.
I liked the little, almost insignificant touches on my Outback, such as a plastic 'U' trim over raw steel edges in the engine bay whereas my W204 has overly long self tappers protruding into the engine bay with no protection. I wonder how often MB mechanics have torn their skin on those?

Last edited:
4X4 vehicle stability can only benefit from the lower centre of gravity offered by a flat 4 or 6 engine. Diesel Subaru engines originally suffered from choking DPF problems IIRC and it was in that area they continue to struggle. Only owners that do short repetitive journeys seemed to suffer in line with many other manaufacturers. It was particularly noticeable with Subaru at the time who had a reputation for solid built petrol engines prior to venturing into diesel. Prices and rarity give them an almost bespoke feel despite some cheap plastic interiors and dubious styling. Meet many landed gentry and you will find their Sunday church car may be a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud
1280px-RollsRoyceSilverCloud1_1959.jpg

But their everyday car for the gun dogs or Tesco's will be an ancient legacy estate.:cool:
subaru_legacy_1989-1998__3124.jpg

The latest Euro 6 Diesel is a far cry from the early ones. The whole engine is different. Extremely quiet on tickover. If I was looking for this type of vehicle and indeed had the money it would be on my list. Unlike so many German cars, this one actually has some space for passengers in the back and can carry 5 people!

If I was looking for this type of vehicle and indeed had the money it would be on my list.

Nice to hear an opinion on quite an obscure car but may I ask, if you're not in the market or don't have the money, why did you drive it? And then share your opinion on it?! Do you work for Subaru?

Sambo said:
Nice to hear an opinion on quite an obscure car but may I ask, if you're not in the market or don't have the money, why did you drive it? And then share your opinion on it?! Do you work for Subaru?

No I don't work for Subaru. Our company is currently developing an installation for light aircraft using this engine as a base. Our ECU guys needed to understand how the injectors were being driven so I had to borrow a car for a couple of days. I liked it very much and felt it worth giving an opinion on.

If subaru had had a diesel legacy auto in my price range I would have been very interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom