Test driving a SORNed car (private owner)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manalishi, Oct 20, 2008.

1. manalishi

manalishi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

What's the legal/illegal status of test driving a car that's currently SORNed on the public road.

Side issue: as I understand it, the only legitimate time a car without MOT can be driven is directly to a pre-booked MOT test appointment. Correct?

2. Leemc2008

Leemc2008 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Your right with the MOT, and I'm thinking it would be illegal to drive on the road for test drive without Tax..

Traders used trade plates.. but private sale I would think would be illegal..

3. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    1, it's illegal. the car is officially off the road

2, as far as I know yes

4. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    All you could ever wish to know about SORN's here.

The only time you can drive a SORN'd vehicle on the road would appear to be to attend (or return from) a pre-arranged MOT test. Incidentally, if you buy a SORN'd vehicle the existing SORN expires the moment you take responsibility for the vehicle so you then need to either SORN it again in your name, or tax it.

5. OP
    OP
    manalishi

Thanks - confirms my fears. So the properly legal route is to let the owner drive (at his own risk), and - if I like enough to pursue - leave a deposit and get him to MOT/tax it so that I can have a road test once that's done...

Nightmare :(

6. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Trade Plates only substitute road tax not an MOT.

7. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    Whilst eating my pie I would suggest you tread very carefully with this as if an SORN vehicle gets driven then the first the registered keeper will know about it is probably when they get the summons. The DVLA might get information from any source that the vehicle has been seen on the public highway, be that parked or driven but they will usually only take action when the vehicle next gets taxed, then the proverbial will hit the fan.

If you knowingly travel in a vehicle that should not be legally on the road then you must be prepared to accept any consequences. Will it be taxed, MOT'd, insured?

Think long and hard and then accept the responsibility for your actions. Dealers can use their trade plates but if you want to sell the car then sell it as seen or get it fit for the road. :eek: :eek:

Sorry for being a kill joy

John

8. edthedead

edthedead Member

No tax - £60 fixed penalty no points
    No MOT - as above

Unless DVLA catch you then they could potentially clamp at the roadside or tow away the car

Could be an expensive test drive ;)

9. bigstuff

bigstuff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

10. bolide

bolide Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
    I think I'm right in saying that the penalty is borne by the driver, not the owner

Nick Froome
    www.w124.co.uk

11. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    So what you might want to do is find a friendly MOT garage, "book" and MOT and drive towards it. Then decide you forgot some important document at the sellers house and drive back ;)

Obviously, having a friendly garage that is willing to book and MOT and cancel it a few hours before the actual test is crucial...

M.

12. stevesey

stevesey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    Better still manalishi's comment (post #5) implies it has no MOT, persuade the buyer you are more likely to buy with 12 months MOT and actually get one done in the middle of the test drive.

13. OP
    OP
    manalishi

Thanks all. The seller is a good guy (forum member and owner of several W201s I think). He'd just taken a decision not to T+T this one for a while, and it was me that pestered him to sell it. I was so keen on his car that I didn't think through the logistics for road testing it legally.

His original plan was to T+T for selling it more it next Spring - all nice and legal. So I'm waiting (no point in rushing it anyway).

It was seeing the ever-increasing use of parked-up ANPR that made me think this though. And yes, I understand it's the driver that bears the penalty.

14. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    Not mine I hasten to add ;) :)

Will

15. dchester

dchester Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Methinks he doth protest too quickly ;) :D

D.