test driving new cars today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiger

Car
2009 C220 CDI Sport Estate
well the other half wanted a 4x4 - im totally against them. ive had a e class sport estate for the day a few weeks back- so today it was BMW turn. Started off with x5 msport - loved it. Then a 525d msport and was somewhat disapointed. driving seemed rather distant. I have looked at the new ML - but its just not doing it for me. Going back to BMW on monday to discuss figured as kids were getting grumpy.

never thought i would see the day i would be looking to buys a 4x4 as have been so against them - until now.

Any advice or any other to buy before a possible deal is done?

Thanks in advance and try not to slate the BMW too much!!! ha ha

I can see why the new ML doesn't do it for you - the latest incarnation could give Joseph Merrick a run.

Don't overlook the big Infinity 4x4

in all due - if it was between the 5 series and the e class - the merc would be for me. I actually prefer the old ml sport more than the new one at the moment.

What did you think of the E class estate, and which engine was it you drove? Sounds like it is out of the running.

That said the X5 is a magnificent car and somewhat more expensive so may not be a fair comparison.

yeh i think they were doing their selling bit putting me in the most expensive car first - only 13k difference...... it was the e250 cdi sport estate - i loved it and would buy one if this x5 hadnt got in the way.

looked at the infinity online just now - but dont think im sure on it plus nearest dealer is Glasgow.

looking at used x5just now but they seem to hold their value ok so might twist my arm for a brand spanker.

Porsche Cayenne holds their value amazingly well too ..

Plus really agile, comparatively speaking

Well helps if the mrs is leaning towards the 4x4 option! Plus you can get 7 seats all facing forwards if that is a benefit for you.

Porsche Cayenne holds their value amazingly well too ..

Plus really agile, comparatively speaking

+1

They're the SUV for people who can't quite accept they need an SUV :thumb:

Great cars.

Been avin a good look at used Cayenne Turbos recently on the Trader. :rolleyes:

Phenomenal performance! :D

Could well persuade me away from the big estates! :eek:

well deal has been done yesterday afternoon. Brand new X5 will arrive late dec/early jan. Ended up with the M sport and alse had another 6k worth of extras as i plan to keep this one for 4 years.

Traded in my car, but price wasnt too good - to be expected. If anyone fancies a 2009 C220CDI sport estate fully loaded - give me a PM!!!

Thanks for the advice etc over the last 3 years - im sure i will be back as trying to talk the other half into a new a class.....

Enjoy the X5. I've driven many 4x4s over the years and generally don't like them, but the X5 came nearest to being acceptable.

I reckon the big 4x4 's are very wheel /tyre/ suspension combination dependant in the handling department. This is possibly because the combination of vehicle weight ,high centre of gravity and tricky traction/stability control systems regularly push the tyres to the edge of their performance envelope far more than conventional cars. :dk: This may not manifest itself in ultimate cornering performance but rather in what you said --how the car feels to drive on the road. :cool: Because you have ordered the same setup that you test drove everything should be fine [ unless they suddenly switch the tyres fitted for some reason on their production line :wallbash:] It always baffles me why people test drive a car with a particular tyre/ suspension setup and then go and order something entirely different.:doh:

Hope you enjoy your new set of wheels.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom