Test drove 2003 Audi RS6 today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e55

Car
W211 E55
I managed to get a test drive from the audi dealership today.

The interior ok but not as nice as a W211 E class. The design of the back seats was good in that you could fully fold down the seats and have access to the trunk. Engine note was superb when starting the engine. Made a deep rumble and you could definately hear the big V8 under the bonnet.

The RS6 was very quick and the whole car felt solid on the road. You could feel the huge surge once the twin turbos engaged. The handling and cornering was definately better than my W210 E55 with the 4wd quattro system. Overall I was very impressed with the car.
I would consider one but after reading the Audi forums I understand these cars are really expensive to maintain and a full waranty is a must especially if the cambelts or the turbos go

Have yet to drive a w211 E55 so will try one of these as well....................

My uncle had the RS6 then went to the E55, Merc deff quicker, nicer inside, but the RS has that sporty drive to it, & yes they sound great, E55 for me though :)

A friend had a year 2000 S6 Avant for about 18 mths a while ago when it was +- 5 y.o.

He paid cash for it (low 20's) & sold it after he couldn't bear the £900-1,000 monthly cost anymore (WITHOUT any car payment).

Depreciation, insurance, servicing, maintenance, insurance, TYRES, fuel bills you name it, everything was outrageous. He bought a good 300TE which cost less than the annual premium for his Audi's insurance & has been converted.

It was a nice car but just cost more than he thought it was worth to keep.

P.S. And it needed a tranny rebuild!

Last edited:
DRC failure is a known problem that you need to read up on and be aware of with the C5 RS6.

Otherwise, drool, awesome beasts. 500+ BHP with a little tweaking.

Thanks for sharing that POV, e55! :rock:
I once had one those RS6s come up next to me at some traffic lights in soaking wet conditions. The noise as he zoomed off was sooooo nice, and the grip in the conditions was astonishing!

Please let us know how you get with the 211 E55 :)

Darren

I once had one those RS6s come up next to me at some traffic lights in soaking wet conditions. The noise as he zoomed off was sooooo nice, and the grip in the conditions was astonishing!

Darren

Next door had one, lovely sound. Probably a bit dated inside and out compared to a 211.

Darren

The Audi 4 wheel makes a huge difference in the wet. I would imagine the E55 would have a problem getting some initial traction down as its rear wheel drive.
I still cannot get over how good the exhaust sounded on the RS6.
I test drove the E63 before and that ws very quick. Be interesting to see how the 55 compares.

From all that I have read most people think the 55 is a better engine.

Still undecided about whether I should get a new car.
I will see how the stock market goes this week before I part with my cash............I think its going to be another bad week.

DRC failure is a known problem that you need to read up on and be aware of with the C5 RS6.

Otherwise, drool, awesome beasts. 500+ BHP with a little tweaking.

Seems like there can be some very expensive bills with the RS6 when it goes wrong. The dealer quoted me about 1400 a year for a full Audi warranty.
I thnk this will be a major factor for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom