Testing a 200K CLK Sport Convertible - advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cleavage

Car
Looking for a CLK SPort
Hi, I am test driving a late 57 (reg 08) 200K CLK Sport Convertible today. It'll be my first MB if I buy. It's a lot of money but then it's from a main dealer with all the usual stuff, top warranty, new MOT, very nice car of course.
Any advice very much appreciated. I'm in two minds re the engine size. In one way it's decent MPG and less insurance but in another perhaps a little underpowered for a heavy car? It has a fair amount of AMG kit on-board. Thanks, Dave C

I think I have the same M271 1.8L Turbo engine in my W212 which I believe is heavier than than the CLK.

The 184bhp in mine is more than adequate and It accelerates extremely well. I have achieved speeds of 135mph (on a private road of course) in just a few seconds.

But that may just be me because the car I changed from was only 131bhp.

I think I have the same M271 1.8L Turbo engine in my W212 which I believe is heavier than than the CLK.

The 184bhp in mine is more than adequate and It accelerates extremely well. I have achieved speeds of 135mph (on a private road of course) in just a few seconds.

But that may just be me because the car I changed from was only 131bhp.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is the 184BHP also (I think) and a 5-speed auto. Not sure what you mean by M271? Or W212? Sorry, still a bit green....

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is the 184BHP also (I think) and a 5-speed auto. Not sure what you mean by M271? Or W212? Sorry, still a bit green....

Ah sorry about the jargon

M271 is the production name of the type of engine in your CLK and my 2009 E class which is the W212.

Mine is also a 5 speed auto. If your current car is the SLK 200 in your signature then the 200 engine may feel slightly under powered in the heavier CLK 200. Like I said I came from a 131bhp non turbo car to a 184bhp turbo car so in the early days it felt like I was driving an AMG63 engined car.

Mercedes-Benz M271 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mercedes-Benz W212 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks again - I'm a numpty (told you so) I've edited my signature now to the CLK 200K doh! ... and that's what I thought, CLK heavier than SLK. I don't need a racing car although want to keep the best residual value for later on (much later on) when I sell. That was partly the reason in asking advice. Ultimately, I'll be able to tell when I put my foot down a little...thanks again

Great choice of car :)
The engine, while not earth shattering is very smooth and surprisingly agile.
check service history - the M271 engine can suffer from timing chain stretch.
On ignition switch on listen for a clicking around the centre console - the HVAC stepper motor gears have been known to fail
You will have multi-contour seats. check all the buttons on the side of the seat next to the centre console work.
These came with AMG floor mats. Check they are still there.
A wind deflector was an optional accessory, but often gets nicked. Check to see if it is included (good) or see if it can be made to be a deal clincher.
Check wheels and tyres - tyres aren't cheap.
Try the roof a few times. Just to be sure
Check the mirrors fold in/out. The wires have been known to break.
Test the flappy paddles work ok (there is a button in the centre console marked c/s/m - press it till you see an 'M' next to the odometer.

These were always a nice car. By 2008 they had been facelifted and properly sorted.

This is a 57 plate but reg in January 08. the pics look nice as you would expect of course. the sales guy - being a sales guy - told us it is one of the last hence the AMG extras, the telephone wiring, etc. Great advice Ted, thanks so much and will do!

The AMG package really sets it off and makes it stand out.
Different front spoiler - much nicer
different rear bumper with faux splitter
different side skirts
boot lip spoiler
lowered suspension
vented front disks with big calipers which have 'Mercedes Benz' letters
Multi contour seats
AMG mats
Sports alloy pedals
flappy paddles
AMG mats
Think that's it

All was around £4k when new.

Nice to haves are parking sensors
Comand
Leather (obviously)
Xenons

Yep, has all of that. Not sure on 'faux splitter' (sorry again) Leather yes and COMAND no but I have a good friend in the car audio game. No Xenons I think. Parking sensors not yet sure but I think the sales guy said is has...hope so...what is an 'adaptive accelerator pedal' please Ted?

what is an 'adaptive accelerator pedal' please Ted?

Sales Bullsh!t

He may mean something like a sprintbooster, but I think he may be gilding the lily.

he probably means the way the gearbox learns your driving style. I have a lower powered earlier 200K in our CLK coupe. Very smooth. More than adequate for everyday use

Great car but check everything

Hi

My clk roof does leak after heavy rain, so check the carpets
to see if they are damp. I get a cleaner and sealer for mine and do it twice a year in March and October. Well worth doing. As previously said check the roof a few times, it should also go up and down using the key fob, you have to hold it close to the door handle on the drivers side for it to work. Press and hold the the unlock button.

Tyres wear very quickly and are expensive so make sure there's plenty of tread left. I love mine, is goes well, and I think it looks great.

Hope you enjoy.

Ian

Roof leaks an issue i saw with a friends car

My roof is fine in normal weather just lets a bit in if i get carried away with the pressure washer!...

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom