Testing a cheap in car camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I've been looking for an inexpensive in car camera for a while, but due to the unknown quality I have been reluctant to buy one...............until now.

After a couple of mentions, I decided on a GS800l car camcorder (reviews on Youtube) and bought it from eBay for the grand sum of £15 95 delivered:bannana: I also ordered a Class 10 32GB Kingston memory card for another £8 75.
I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but apart from the volume on videos being muted, I find the recording perfectly acceptable. The copy below is not as clear as being played at home on VLC or the TV, but from the clip below you can get an idea of value for money.
I'll do another in the dark to get an idea as well and add it here sometime.

There are sellers trying for £89 for the same item so here the link if anyone decides its worth trying for the money (£15 95) is as follows. It arrived in 2 days.

1080P CAR DVR Vehicle Video Camera Recorder Dash Cam G-sensor GS8000L+HDMI Cable | eBay

Link to the in car clip.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QP8ClyG0j5S2syWEJ6djFfYzQ

Just you stop it just before it captured you saying "oh t!ts". Lol.

Funnily enough I was thinking about getting a camera today to capture any bellendry that occurs.

That's a mighty impressive result considering the cost.

What's the score with powering it - do you need to run any cables etc.?

Just you stop it just before it captured you saying "oh t!ts". Lol.

Funnily enough I was thinking about getting a camera today to capture any bellendry that occurs.

That's a mighty impressive result considering the cost.

What's the score with powering it - do you need to run any cables etc.?

Yes there is cabling but I found it tucks under the headlining, down the pillar and the side of the glovebox. I ran it through the glovebox (how often is that opened) down the side of the centre console and there are about 4" of cabling exposed before it plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.
The inbuilt battery doesn't last long, so I just plug in the fag lighter connector every time I want to power it up. Once its connected it turns on automatically.

Just taken two videos, neither of which I'd say are very good.
First one was with the Night Vision mode on and the second was off.
In both, there is a lot of glare from rear lights, oncoming headlights and even street lights. Number plates are only readable close up to my eyes.

But, if its purely to record events as they happen, it does the job.

All in all, just OK, but then if considering price paid, still good value for money.
Also, going to have to do something to stop glare/reflection from the screen during daylight recording. It's not enough to put me off but I know its there.

First one.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2QP8ClyG0j5ZHVpZXJqTmVzMWM/view?usp=sharing

Second one
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2QP8ClyG0j5d2lZOF8xTDhobnM/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
First one is showing as 'not found', second one is there.

AMGeed, Great job so far. Despite the night time results, it wouldn't stop me buying one and possibly playing around with filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom