TFT Computer Screen. Which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
About time I joined this Millennium as regards computer screens.

So, looking for a decent 17 incher but would want one which draws a low current.

What does the team think please?

is your computer in the bedroom as most lcd tv's accept a pc input

Might I suggest you get a TV in your room? I have a Beko I bought reconditioned from Beko Washing machines, Cookers, Fridge Freezers and Range Cookers (who I strongly recommend) which has VGA input from a computer. Cost me £80, is 17" widescreen and HD-ready (built in Freeview tuner as well).

I seldom connect it to my PC, only when I need twomonitors. Incidentally, I don't have a single TFT. Colour representation/accuracy and richness are so much better on CRTs which also don't have a 'favourite' resolution unlike TFTs. Sure they take up a lot of room and only one of mine is Energy Star rated but following peer pressure and getting a TFT is something you should only do if you really need the room and low energy usage. One of my CRTs (which I'll give free to anyone who wants it, cost me a bloody fortune but too big when I now want 3 next to each other) is a 21" Viewsonic one (absolute top of the range, made for CAD etc.). Though HD was seldom considered when it was made (1997), I used it for a good while at what is officially an HD resolution (though I don't know if VGA cables can really transmit HD). So old CRTs can display at huge resolutions which only the most expensive TFTs can display thus far.

I'm ready for the flaming, so let it begin!

Hi John,

I guess from your 20th century comment you are still using a CRT, any LCD/TFT will be low power in comparison as it won't have a power-hungry electron gun sitting up back ;).

Are you stuck for space? 17" TFT's aren't really a great buy these days as the old 4:3 format has fallen by the wayside and 16:9 panels dominate the marketplace.

For a cheap and cheerful solution, this 18.5" Philips looks worth a punt - VGA and DVI video inputs, LED backlight and built in speakers (which will almost certainly sound dreadful and tinny), but you can't argue at the price:

Philips V-line 18.5" LED Monitor - DVI/VGA 5MS Built-in Speakers (196V3LAB/00) - dabs.com

Although I'd recommend you look at a 21-23" HD screen as that's where the fiercest competition is as the moment, and therefore the best price/performance ratio. You can even pick up a full HD monitor for less than a ton - this one is light on features, but again for £90 it's serious value..

Acer A221HQLb LCD display - TFT - LED backlight - 21.5"widescreen - 1920x1080 - 5 ms - VGA - black ( ET.WA1HE.017) - dabs.com

HTH..

Cheers,

Gaz

Yup still on CRT Gaz.

I am a bit stuck for space as the room is only 5'6" wide. (Boxroom really) So I sit pretty close up to the screen. I could reorganise it to get me a little more away from the screen. But the room is on loan from SWMBO and all changes have to go through due planning processes. Mars and Venus circulate round this room and I have to consult orbit circuits carefully.

The Phillips one looks very interesting. Not too fussed about speakers as I have a subwoffery thing hitched up to the computer. That Phillips looks the best of the bunch so far for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom