Thank God (or Apple) for the iphone 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blackberry is huge in the states, and has been for long enough that text messaging didn't get the start it did over here.

There's no obsession (at least not here, although I can certainly see evidence of it)

iphoneguy.jpg

Calling it a phone doesn't do it justice, so if you're only interested in a traditional telephone + text messaging combo, maybe with a camera thrown in for good measure, it's not for you.

Arrived, but wow at the signal fault/degradation when you hold the bottom left corner of the phone.
Stung twice at buying new with bugs still needing ironing out (car and now phone) you would have thought I would learn by now.

Arrived, but wow at the signal fault/degradation when you hold the bottom left corner of the phone.
Stung twice at buying new with bugs still needing ironing out (car and now phone) you would have thought I would learn by now.

The antennas for phone are built into and as part of the stainless steel band that runs around the phone. So maybe when your applying pressure on it thats why its causing the drop in signal. I wouldn't have thought it would do that or be that bad considering it seems to be quite a simple issue and would have been seen to before release.

Doesn't happen on mine, no matter what I try. Weird.

It's suggested that it's a display issue, not a reception one - ie the mechanism measuring reception is affected but the actual level of service you're really getting doesn't change.

Lots of different stories at the mo but I am swayed to a design flaw, check this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE

I will get an apple bumper for it anyway, and I actually need this as a pda/phone, not an iconic gadget so will use it :)

well got our today, one for me and one for the wife both from apple, but o2 did not send the micro sim so just sat here!!!

so decided to upgrade the 3gs just for fun

I have mine ordered, but have to wait a little while for stock, probably next week :( I wan't to play with it now! Ah well, I'll just have to make do with the 3GS for one more week!

I actually have a spare o2 microsim if anyone needs one soonish, I decided to go with Vodafone for this next one.

well got our today, one for me and one for the wife both from apple, but o2 did not send the micro sim so just sat here!!!

so decided to upgrade the 3gs just for fun
i rang o2 customer services when my phones arrived they do not have any sims to send out, the o2 stores have them but you need to get the correct one contract or payg. number transfer is done on o2 website takes a couple of hours or so. very pleased with mine so far

Mine seems to be a generic unformatted SIM - not even sure why they sent it to me to be honest! Doesn't state anywhere if it's payg or contract...

Just ordered my second iphone 4. One for the wife!

O2 have agreed to give me £232 trade-in for the 3GS! Result.

oh wow, the signal loss issue on the iphone 4 doesn't bother you??

I think as the other thread/post points out its not a signal loss rather than an incorrect display of the signal strength. The iphone 4 I got yesterday has performed fine so far. No loss of signal as far as I can see.

No, it is 100% a signal loss issue.

Its the same on mine and I have tried it using the bandwidth speedtest app.

with the phone sat on the desk it shows around 1500kbps upload and download.
If I pick the phone up and run the test after the bars have dropped from 5 to 1 along with 3g disappearing to a small round circle (gprs) then I get 4kpbs up and 6 kbps down.

Been on the phone (not the iphone) to apple this morning and they told me (along with thousands of others) that I am holding it wrong.

go figure, but I wouldn't buy one right now unless you intend to buy a plastic bumper that covers the metal antenna's.

Just to add, the outcome was for me to restore using itunes and call back.

No, it is 100% a signal loss issue.

Its the same on mine and I have tried it using the bandwidth speedtest app.

with the phone sat on the desk it shows around 1500kbps upload and download.
If I pick the phone up and run the test after the bars have dropped from 5 to 1 along with 3g disappearing to a small round circle (gprs) then I get 4kpbs up and 6 kbps down.

Been on the phone (not the iphone) to apple this morning and they told me (along with thousands of others) that I am holding it wrong.

go figure, but I wouldn't buy one right now unless you intend to buy a plastic bumper that covers the metal antenna's.

Just to add, the outcome was for me to restore using itunes and call back.

Just tested it myself and it indeed does do this if covering the left bottom corner of the phone. But as I am right handed it wont affect me. Still a blindingly stupid mistake for apple to have made along with bu66ering up the bluetooth.

Last edited:
Still simply won't do it with mine, or any of my 3 friends who have one.

Either certain units are affected or certain hands are.

Just tested it myself and it indeed does do this if covering the left bottom corner of the phone. But as I am right handed it wont affect me. Still a blindingly stupid mistake for apple to have made along with bu66ering up the bluetooth.

how do you hold it? I am right handed but when browsing/playing around with the phone I hold it in the left hand and thats when it goes.
There isn't really any other way to hold it for me when I dont have a desk to lay it on. imagine walking around trying to use google on a street or even browsing the web, its pretty hard to hold it in a certain way so as to not touch the sides or short them out.

It is more noticeable that others as it depends on how moist your palms are (sound like a joke in there somewhere!?).
Apples bumper will solve the issue and I will be happy if they will supply for free but I certainly don't want to pay £25 for it.
I have no doubt they were aware of this issue and thats why they released a rubber/plastic bumper as this will stop your palms shorting the antennas together.

What is wrong with the bluetooth?

to anyone who is recycling their phone with 02 (for money!!)
Please remember to put in more4u code for an extra 10% cash!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom