Thank you Emma Raducanu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Really?

Romaninan dad, Chinese mother, not born in this country. Now you’re claiming the trophy for England. She is British yes. Fantastic achievement for the lass. No glory for England.

Really?

Romaninan dad, Chinese mother, not born in this country. Now you’re claiming the trophy for England. She is British yes. Fantastic achievement for the lass. No glory for England.
So in your view somebody can only represent their country if they were born there?

I think sportspersons like her deserve a bit of respect. No doubt she could be Chinese, British or Canadian but she chose to be British. Much like Sir Mo Farah, Sir Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome OBE and many more.

Last edited:
Really?

It is a bit different to the norm in this particular case as she has lived here since the age of 5, her talent was spotted and nurtured here with British coaching (and British money and facilities no doubt). It's not as if she was pinched from another country after the fact like the cricket / rugby / athletics lot.

It is a bit different to the norm in this particular case as she has lived here since the age of 5, her talent was spotted and nurtured here with British coaching (and British money and facilities no doubt). It's not as if she was pinched from another country after the fact like the cricket / rugby / athletics lot.
👍👍

And what passport should she use? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I read that her parents moved here when she was 2.

As a sidebar, I heard the other day that one still cannot play cricket for Yorkshire unless they are born in Yorkshire, even if the person has lived in Yorkshire everyday since being born. Seems that outdated views and stupid establishment rules die hard.

So in your view somebody can only represent their country if they were born there?

If I'm reading his location correctly it's just the natural extension of 'you can only represent Yorkshire if you were born there'

I read that her parents moved here when she was 2.

As a sidebar, I heard the other day that one still cannot play cricket for Yorkshire unless they are born in Yorkshire, even if the person has lived in Yorkshire everyday since being born. Seems that outdated views and stupid establishment rules die hard.
Apparently this un-written policy ended in 1991. Probably when the last of the cavemen died out.

age of 2 actually I believe

She can be Welsh if she wants, no problem.

Really?

Indeed, regardless of the countries of birth of her and her parents, she is British not exclusively English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom