Thanks for saving me E690!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

expat

Car
1994 C250D Saloon
A couple months back some of you told me my fuel delivery problem was caused by a solenoid that MB calls the 'pedal value sensor'. They wanted 700Euro for it here in the Republic of Ireland. Since I didn't pay much more than that for the car I started looking around and calling junk yards and people who were parting-out old MBs of my class.

It took some looking but yesterday I got fitted with a new PVS and my total outlay, except the gas for the the 100 mile round trip, was 10Euro.

So for those unsung heroes out there in cyberspace a very big THANK YOU!

How do you get a diesel to run solely on gas and what is parting-out?

Please pardon my Americanisims

Sorry to confuse. I'm a Yank living in Ireland and haven't picked up all the local jargon yet.

Parting out = breaking

"Gas" in the U.S. means petrol but can also be used generically to mean any fuel. Kind of like how in America "Coke", when you're in the South, can mean any soft drink. But the Brits use gas specifically to mean propane don't they? In America though we'd say LP or LPG or propane, seldom gas.

We have other problems with the King's English, too numerous to list or debate here. Although I'm still trying to get my head around "bangers and mash" and especially "bubbles and squeak".

How do you get a diesel to run solely on gas and what is parting-out?

Keep up chap, "parting out" is well known in the UK now, especially around old jap cars that are worth more in bits than complete cars.. MR2's, celicas supras etc.

Not a fan of merkinsims by the way :D

Sorry to confuse. I'm a Yank living in Ireland and haven't picked up all the local jargon yet.

Yeah, sorry about...Americanisms creeping into the use of English on forums is one of my pet hates... :)

Some people use it because they think it is hip or cool to talk slang.

Keep up chap, "parting out" is well known in the UK now,

Shame...;)

I do actually know what parting-out and swapping-out mean..but why bother...

There is nothing wrong with the words "breaking for spares" or "scrapping" or "breaking"

In fact I'm sure in the rules of this forum it asks people to use English....

Ok, maybe only in actual language... ;)

Last edited:
There are many worse examples of the use of poor English - such as "could of" and "should of".

Personally I like the diversity of the forum.

Much better to have an American living in Ireland and posting on a UK forum. With genuine thanks. Than a Brit living in UK and posting an American forum.
(Olly is going to really miss his trade from Stateside)

Plus I understand expat's English much easier than tonysmallz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom