Thankyou Mercedes Benz and Poundland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
As you guys know I am absolutely chuffed to bits with my car. It meets my needs for a bit of performance, with long range comfort and even good mpg. My only gripe has been the low level squeaks and noises the car makes. I rang two MB dealers who both wanted £120 plus vat to look at what was causing the noises so I took it to Poundland instead! I bought three triple packs of car washing sponges for £3 and a pack of foam protector pads!

The noise from the centre of the parcel shelf was fixed by filling the void under the parcel shelf with yellow sponges from inside the boot.

20150410_180446_zpstfuqxmlq.jpg

The noise to the passenger side of the parcel shelf required yellow sponges to be inserted under the parcel shelf and up into the void where the boot hinge goes.

20150410_180453_zps6qnet6uz.jpg

The vibration over certain speed of bumps required half a sponge up the inside of the boot opening spring (it had one but it wasn't upto the job)

The seat noise was (as in my last three Mercs) the seat belt holder rubbing against the seat. This was fixed with a foam pad.

20150410_180339_zpsqkvp3ium.jpg

The seat belt height adjuster noise also required a foam pad.

20150410_180157_zpss5bsdhk9.jpg

The car is now silent to my standard not Mercedes' standard.

Given that it's first owner paid a list price was £46,000 (still only 7000 miles ago) I was a bit miffed that it needed £4.25 in rattle removing materials and half a black facecloth behind the rear seat.

I remain thrilled by the car and would by it again tomorrow but I do wish Mercedes would attend to this stuff at the factory and not leave it to customers to finish the cars! Hope this post helps those with rattles/noises and encourages you that they can be fixed :)

w205??

I think you should send this in an email to Mercedes CEO as a suggestion... See what he comes back with :)

I think you should send this in an email to Mercedes CEO as a suggestion... See what he comes back with :)

They will probably run with it. You will then be able to buy yellow noise suppressing foam pads from your local MB dealership for a bargain price of £100 for a pack of three. :bannana:

I have a 1960 ponton 190, no squeeks or rattles. 2005 CLK has a few sqeeks.

Except for foam pads which are £1.25 :) [/QUOTE]

LOL. Next door in the hardware shop!

So the mods continue as we all knew they would............ good stuff but I agree MB shoiuld be able to resolve during manufacturing shakedown sessions.

So the mods continue as we all knew they would............ good stuff but I agree MB shoiuld be able to resolve during manufacturing shakedown sessions.
Hardly Mods in the normal sense of the word but playing about with cars!

hey R2

one thing to be wary of... if any water leaks into the boot it will get soaked up by the sponges and hold the water... then the dreaded rust.

take a look in a few weeks time and if still dry then you should be good!

I remember doing this years back as cheap sound deadening when I was installing subwoofers.

hey R2

one thing to be wary of... if any water leaks into the boot it will get soaked up by the sponges and hold the water... then the dreaded rust.

I remember doing this years back as cheap sound deadening when I was installing subwoofers.

I'll keep an eye on them but they already have grey foam in there just not enough of it!

hey R2

You beat me to it Alps.
While they shouldn't get wet, remember they will soak up from anything wet placed in the boot (clothes, boots, etc).
If they are there to quell movement that was creating noise (as opposed to absorbing noise), might they work just as well wrapped inside a freezer bag?

You should market them as squeak suppressant's and put the three-pointed star on them just think of the markup. lol
Keep up the good work but let us know if you find any more cheap solutions we could use before you brand them.

Clingfilm or vacuum freezer bag - I have a very nifty and cheap system for food for freezing or sous vide cooking, you put what you need in the bag, the device vacuums out the air and then heat seals it. You might need to put a bit more sponge inside, but it will stop any air getting in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom