Thankyou to the Merc Owners who helped my wife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petef

Car
Mercedes 200C
My wife is away for a couple of nights on buisness. She was in Manchester yesterday and had to travel to Sheffield last night. First she got lost trying to get out of Manchester and phoned me distraught as she was going round and round in some dodgey area too scared to even ask anyone for directions!!...She eventually got on the motorway to sheffield and when she got there again got lost, not being able to find the Travel Lodge where she was staying. At this stage she was so upset I couldnt get any sense out of her but told her to go to the nearest petrol station and ask directions. She did but the assistant was as use as a chocolate tea pot.It was now dark and she was very aggitated. She then said a really nice man and woman came to her rescue and told her to follow them and they would take her to exactly where she wanted to go. Now they must have been so nice as my wife is so safety conscious and can smell badness from a mile.The peoples names were Angie and Andy Ford...My wife said they drove a big new merc with 220 on the back.I just really wanted to say if anyone does know them what really nice people they must be. Acts of kindness like this puts my faith back in humanity....:)

That's nice to read. Getting out of Manchester can be a nightmare, especially if you don't know where you are etc.

It's not nice feeling vulnerable and at risk like that.

Well done to the couple that helped her. Top folks:rock:

MB Club Help Network

When I bought my Saab I joined the Saab Owners Club and there was an option to join their Help Network.

Basically, its a wee thing were if you are in a strange City or town or lost you can call up your local rep/contact and do one of the following:

1: Go for a cup of tea.
2: Get a bed for the night.
3: Get directions.
4: Get technical advice.

Now, before I am flamed by everyone, I think this was if you really needed to do one of the above plus more.

I don't think it was so that members could just "turn up" unannounced at any time of the day.

It is just for help.

Anyways, I wanted to suggest that I dont mind helping out when I can.

If anyone is lost in Sheffield (as long as they aren't an axe murderer) I dont mind giving directions, or advising where to stay etc etc.

What do you all think?

I have a mobile email address which i don't mind giving out (most people's mobiles can email nowadays).

What do the moderators think of setting this up?

Maybe we could have a mini mbclub wap site which everyone could access while on the move with key contacts for each town/city/area?

regards,

KJ

petef said:
My wife is away for a couple of nights on buisness.
I drive all over the country, but I'm mainly visiting companies on out-of-town industrial estates etc - it fills me full of horror if I have to drive into a city centre, especially at night.
Even if she only travels now and again, buy her a TomTom (or something similar)
for God's sake!

I think the idea has considerable merit and would like to think that my wife (or even I!) would have access to something like this when needed

Unfortunately (IMHO) I feel with the way todays society can be, the legal implications preclude something like this.

Really, really sad but that seems to be the way it is :(

I'd be happy to help anyone navigate around West London Hammersmith - Heathrow - Slough - area - i have autoroute loaded in my head .......:D

How do we post details up here - i have a YAC number which connects to me no matter where i am.:rock:

If the Saab Owners Club can do it, why cant we?

I'll look for the stuff that talks about it and see if I can post it here for information.

There must be something we can do.

Leicester anyone!?

Leicester can be a bit of a 'mare to get around. :confused: :confused:

Anyone is welcome to ask me for directions, info etc etc:devil:

vindaloo said:
Leicester can be a bit of a 'mare to get around. :confused: :confused:

Anyone is welcome to ask me for directions, info etc etc:devil:

You mean lesta........ thats an easy place to navigate around - all paths lead to one place...............narborough road ............ :rock: :rock:

Last edited:
I'de be more than happy to help too... only my knowledge is limited to hillingdon/uxbridge (oh, and thr 4 streets that surround Imperial college in south Ken :p). My phone will receive emails, but I never bothered setting it up :p Google maps can have private/sharable maps with flags though.....

As an ex-member of the Saab GB Club, what happens when you join is that you can opt in to the help register as kbhogalW126 said above.

You get a copy of a small booklet which features all the names / addresses / phone numbers of those who have opted to help, so you can keep this in your glove box and use it when necessary.

We never used it, but it was a nice thing to have.

I think this kind of a club is a great idea, though in reality I'm not so sure it would work very well. Maybe its just me being cynical. :eek:

I do think it would be useful if collective buying power could be combined to get a discount on something like a TomTom. After all, with these devices these days you not only don't get lost, but can locate things like hotels and petrol stations, thereby answering most of the questions being asked above.

If say, 10 people wanted a TomTom then there must be scope for getting discount. What do others think?

Last edited:
I was just going to reply about the getting lost bit, but I see you've now changed it:devil:

I worked in the UK for a year. As I drove a LHD car, with left handed shifter, I was at the limit of my multitasking abilities...:rolleyes:

I investigated all the after market NAV systems. The best one (no affiliation) is the Garmin 330. Best and most accurate maps plus all the speed cameras, most filling stations, restaurants and hotels as points of Interest (POI)

I even bought a second one for my wife's E Touring. Far better than the factory installed POS.:bannana:

pint6x said:
As an ex-member of the Saab GB Club, what happens when you join is that you can opt in to the help register as kbhogalW126 said above.

You get a copy of a small booklet which features all the names / addresses / phone numbers of those who have opted to help, so you can keep this in your glove box and use it when necessary.

We never used it, but it was a nice thing to have.

The Stag Owners Club has something similar, as I suspect do a lot of classic car clubs.

jdrrco said:
The Stag Owners Club has something similar

I had a warranty on a Ford Granada 3.0 Ghia (Sweeny car ;)) once, the "general exclusions" list went something like this:

1. Acts of God
  2. Civil Disturbance/ riot
  3. Effects of ionising radiation
  4. Triumph Stags

Seriously! I kept that page and still have it somewhere.

nav said:
You mean lesta........ thats an easy place to navigate around - all paths lead to one place...............narborough road ............ :rock: :rock:

:D :D :D TRUE!!! I actually live just off Narborough Road!!:p

Santa

...My wife said they drove a big new merc with 220 on the back.I just really wanted to say if anyone does know them what really nice people they must be. Acts of kindness like this puts my faith back in humanity....:)[/quote]

This is the solution.

Dear Santa. I have been really good all year. Please can I have A Sat Nav in my christmas stocking. I promise to be kind and thoughtful to children and animals and make my husbands tea, wash his socks and undies. Irion his shirts, take his dog for walks and follow round with the pooper scooper. Wash his car, buy his beer, let him go to all the office his parties with his new blue eyed blond assistant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom