That age old question - Super or Regular Unleaded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well unwilling to enter the debate about 98/95 ron,but what happens next year when the new petrol comes in,I suspect newer cars will be ok but older petrol cars just how will they adapt or not,has anybody news on this?

A real concern for me with an MGA & MG B GT V8 !

"Petrol cars made since 2011 must be E10-compatible, but the DfT estimates 700,000 vehicles are not.
The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) says, for example, that all BMWs can use E10, but warns this is not the case for every marque.
Almost all Mercedes models can use E10, but the C200 CGI and CLK 200 CGI made from 2002 to 2005 cannot."

NJSS

The only thing to worry about with E10 in modern vehicles is the fact that unless the price goes down you are being robbed because it has lower calorific value and therefore MPG will fall slightly. I'm sure that in due course the government will tell the truth in and inform you of that. One good outcome is that the labeling of ethanol content on pumps becomes mandatory so at least you will know what you are buying

Using E10 in my 41 year old motorcycle may cause some damage so I hope they will still supply the old stuff although it will inevitably cost more.

The only thing to worry about with E10 in modern vehicles is the fact that unless the price goes down you are being robbed because it has lower calorific value and therefore MPG will fall slightly.

The retail price of road fuel isn't based on its calorific value though. For a start almost 70% of the pump price is tax & duty, and it's unlikely E10 costs significantly less to manufacture than E5. The transport/storage/retail overheads will be exactly the same for both, of course.

Enough to fill a jerry can is alright, full tank? I wouldn’t personally, I keep one in the boot for those squeaky bum moments when I can’t get to a shell before I run out... which I did a few months back and got stranded at the end of a slip road on a very busy A14!

I was thinking half a tank to get me out of trouble. There are very few Shell stations in my area (that aren't miles away at least) so the grade of super will be whatever I can get my hands on really. But, if necessity forces me to buy straight unleaded then i'd rather risk that be stranded waiting for recovery in the middle of nowhere frankly!

Dear me.

It’s incredibly simple (and the Owner’s Manual is clear on this): For maximum performance you should run the car on 98RON (or higher) fuel, but it is permissible to run it on 95RON if 98RON is unavailable, although it will result in reduced performance and running at high engine speed and load should be avoided if possible.

The engine won’t explode, the car won’t catch fire, and the warranty will not be voided simply by using 95RON fuel occasionally.

Dear me.

It’s incredibly simple (and the Owner’s Manual is clear on this): For maximum performance you should run the car on 98RON (or higher) fuel, but it is permissible to run it on 95RON if 98RON is unavailable, although it will result in reduced performance and running at high engine speed and load should be avoided if possible.

The engine won’t explode, the car won’t catch fire, and the warranty will not be voided simply by using 95RON fuel occasionally.
Spot on.

When driving in areas I don’t know well, I stop for fuel more regularly to make sure that I have plenty of Super Unleaded on board. For example whilst driving in mainland Europe I stop and refill at every Shell station I pass.

98 Ron Vs 97 I don't think there's any difference, at least most of the stations near me are 97 so that's what it tends to get. When I'm near a Tesco or Shell then 99 is on offer but I figured the super at Esso, BP etc is still better than 95 (which I don't use) with the extra agents etc - I've not had any issues or noticed the difference between super fuels in my w204 c63.

Spot on.

When driving in areas I don’t know well, I stop for fuel more regularly to make sure that I have plenty of Super Unleaded on board. For example whilst driving in mainland Europe I stop and refill at every Shell station I pass.

Blimey, I go to France a couple of times a year, stopping at every Shell station might slow the trip down a bit :)....i'll bear it in mind though and I get where you're coming from.

Dear me.

Exactly.

Blimey, I go to France a couple of times a year, stopping at every Shell station might slow the trip down a bit :)....i'll bear it in mind though and I get where you're coming from.
In my experience there aren’t many Shell stations on the Autoroutes.

I refill before the Eurotunnel and then 3 (or 4) times if I’m heading to the South of France or Northern Italy. That possibly works out just about one stop more than is strictly necessary, but it only takes 10 mines to stop and go.

We tend to find a stop every 200 or so miles is about right to stay fresh and alert.

Anyone remember and correct me if I'm wrong. ,5th gear did a comparison on the different fuels and V Power was worth an extra 5bhp over normal fuel. Not a huge amount but still proves its superior to 95 Ron. If you have a performance car you'd want the best. Personally I always use V Power. Pennies in the grander sceme of motoring.

When I travel anywhere I plan my Shell garage's into my route

I've always run on V Power though for the clean engine benefits as it's a keeper. Any additional performance is a bonus.

Travelling through France however, it's a bonus to find a Shell and hard to plan the stops... I run a 20L jerry can in the boot (UN spec) and it extends my range by 100miles or so.

In my experience there aren’t many Shell stations on the Autoroutes.

I refill before the Eurotunnel and then 3 (or 4) times if I’m heading to the South of France or Northern Italy. That possibly works out just about one stop more than is strictly necessary, but it only takes 10 mines to stop and go.

We tend to find a stop every 200 or so miles is about right to stay fresh and alert.

Yeah, makes sense. My trips are either to the Alps or somewhere in the middle (i.e the Loire etc) so bit of extra planning wouldn't hurt and yes, saves falling asleep :)

Is 98+ RON any more common in mainland Europe than here? Seems strange otherwise that MB make a car that requires fuel a grade above the 'normal' 97 super?

Is 98+ RON any more common in mainland Europe than here? Seems strange otherwise that MB make a car that requires fuel a grade above the 'normal' 97 super?
It’s widely available on the continent, but it is in the UK too. Both Shell and Tesco have 99 RON super unleaded fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom