That Darn Chrome Thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smiff

Car
C200
I been looking for the part no. for the W202 5 speed auto pre-tiptronic gearbox chrome shift surround in the previous posts - I know it appeared a few times and I should have written it down then!. After failing miserably to find it with a bemused Merc parts manager to find the part no. - can anyone shed any light on it?
Thanks.

Originally posted by Black 1994 C280
I don't know the part number but they're on eBay all of the time. Here's a link to one: Click me ;)
LOL that is currently at TWICE the brand new price from the stealership!

The part number is:

A 170 267 02 88

...and it only costs £5.04, if you ask your parts dept nicely they will prolly knock the 4p off to make it a fiver :)

hi guy's talking about chrome things, is there a good supplier that does other chrome bits and bobs for mercs, my wife has a ml and i would like to get thngs like chrome door pins etc.

cheers

kenny

Ian, the transmission gaitor looks exactly the same as the 210...and heck, for a fiver....if it didn't fit I'm sure one of the boys on here would take it off your hands....

Not sure it would look that good on an Avantgarde....all black maple with a bit of chrome? MHO, of course.

Originally posted by rirhill
Do they do a chrome surround for W210? And any idea how much?
I think the w210 has a wider shift frame, so the chrome SLK part probably won't fit. If there is an SLK with tiptronic and a chrome frame then maybe that will fit, because the tiptronic shift selector has a wider gate. I know someone with an SLK with tiptronic, he is a forum member too! I will mail him to find out. If there is one it's prolly about a fiver. :) OEM r0cks!

ok the later SLK with "one touch" tiptronic gearshift has this frame:

A202 267 07 88

HOWEVER that part is NOT chrome.

Excellent - didn't know these existed - just ordered mine!

I think it would be great to have a list of solid OEM mods! Are there any other ones similar to this / alloy pedals etc.? For someone new to this - what would be the first 5 quick-win mods to do on a W202??

Cheers guys!

Originally posted by tosborne
I think it would be great to have a list of solid OEM mods! Are there any other ones similar to this / alloy pedals etc.? For someone new to this - what would be the first 5 quick-win mods to do on a W202??

Grill (£160)
Pedals (£20)
Shift frame (£5)
Wheel centrecaps (£20)
Cupholder (£20)

That should do!

Hi all

Thought I should introduce myself as new to the board !

Took delivery yesterday of a 1999 C200 Elegance Estate, in Brilliant Silver. (Pics will be posted in Members Gallery)

Gear shift surround & Alloy pedals ordered today .... should arrive on Tuesday.

Will definitely be doing the Grille modification at some point too.

Cheers,

Simon.

Welcome to the forum mate.:bannana: :bannana:

Enjoy your new car, and look forward to the photos.:bannana: :bannana:

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are lots of experienced folk on the forum who will endeavor to assist.

GDC 200 - Thanks for the pictures - I definitely want one now as I have the same wood. Where did you get the wood gear gate insert in the middle of the chrome? - That looks great. Is it an MB part as well? - You gotta Part No?

Cheers

Smiff.

Originally posted by GDC200
My car came with it as standard when it was new Jan 2000. I don't know if its possible to retrofit the one from my car to your one. One of the experts, your help is needed!
Of course it is, you can fit anything to anything. With MB if it looks the same it prolly is! Pull the frame off, pull the wood trim piece off and read the number off the back of it, then post it! If you can't figure out how to do this, or if you don't want to, then it's possible to look up the part number using your VIN number, but this can be a little hit-and-miss sometimes (why do you think the most obscure things are "in stock" at your local parts dept? :) )

Sorry to resurrect this one again, but whilst in the dealer in Coventry last week I thought I'd order one of these for my car.

As Shude suggested, I can now confirm that the part number quoted will *NOT* fit a 210 - its about 3/4" too small. The parts guy said he had never seen a 210 with a chrome surrround and a search on the parts computer seemed to bear this out.

So...still stuck with the black surround. Gutted. On a more positive note they didn't charge me for it, despite me offering to.

Greg

Originally posted by GregE240
As Shude suggested, I can now confirm that the part number quoted will *NOT* fit a 210 - its about 3/4" too small. The parts guy said he had never seen a 210 with a chrome surrround and a search on the parts computer seemed to bear this out.
Did they check for a R170 SLK with chrome frame and one-touch gearshift? If one exists it prolly fits the w210. For a laugh you could order all the R170 frames, there will only be about 3 or 4 on the EPC, at only £5 each it is a nice gamble, I've done it myself in the past, it's kind-of a part number lottery :)

Originally posted by Shude
Did they check for a R170 SLK with chrome frame and one-touch gearshift? If one exists it prolly fits the w210. For a laugh you could order all the R170 frames, there will only be about 3 or 4 on the EPC, at only £5 each it is a nice gamble, I've done it myself in the past, it's kind-of a part number lottery :)
Nick old boy, if I had your seemingly bottomless pit of disposable income thats exactly what I'd do...unfortunately, I'm married, 2 houses, 2 cars and 2 cats to support!

I've got a mate who's got an SLK so I might fill him with horror one day and whip out his surround and compare the two :devil:

Alternatively I could always go back to MB Coventry and ask them nicely - is the chrome surround a standard fit to some SLKs? Theres one in our carpark this very moment with a lovely surround on it....hmm, I wonder......:)

MB coventry & birmingham (gerrard mann) parts dept are absolutely useless. I stopped using them, now use monarch tamworth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom