That Ol' Chestnut... 722.6 In Limp Mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazh90

Car
Mercedes-Benz E320 '51
Hey guys

I got a 2001 E320. Lovely Lovely motor as you all know. But... I got that ol' "it will only drive in D and the kick-down don't work.." problem.

Although well documented, I wish for some opinions on MY situation.

Now... I have the shifter with the +/- nudge side to side to activate the triptonic doodah and that doesn't work. Nudge to the left... nothing. Nudge to the right... not a sausage. Push down real hard onto the kick-down switch... you get sod all. Not entirely sure if I only have 2nd gear as the car has no MOT or Tax and I'm in London so, no country lanes to blast up without having ANPR inspecting your prostate. I'm ganna go with yes, I probably am stuck in 2nd gear.

THE THREE GOLDEN PROBLEMS RELATING TO MOI ISSUE! YAY!! ;)

1. Conductor plate (Cracked or just... blaghhhh)
2. E.Conductor plate connector (Leaking ATF through o-rings)
3. Dodgy shifter assembly (Misc softdrink down the wee holes)

But.... I've been reading about a forth. I appear to have the forth.. maybe.

4. Low voltage from the battery (All sorts of bad juju happens)

when I bought the car, the battery was absolutely shagged. It was an early 2009 halfrauds jobbie (019) and outside the warranty. It was so shagged, you would need to jump start it after leaving the ignition off for only 20 minutes. Even the HID headlights woudln't work from this battery. It could hold 13volts..... for about half hour then drop. Car has no battery drain because the battery would drain it's self of voltage outside the car after being fully charged. I could charge it up to it's maximum capacity, have it sit outside the car and a day later, it sat between 7 and 8 volts.

Anyhoo... brand spanking new battery installed now. Works great. Starts every time. Never seen HID's so bright! :D

MY QUESTION TO THE MASSES!

Does any of you think my car has stored the fault-code from the duff battery causing the limp mode and is demanding that I seek a Merc tech who will remove £32425454.98 from my wallet to use his STAR system to clear my limp-mode/code? :wallbash: would I be correct by thinking that this might be the case?

Can I CHEAT the system and clear that limp-mode myself?

Annnnnny help is very much appreciated from you bright lot

Daz

oo...ooo... also worth noting that I'm waiting for a dip-stick to arrive to check my ATF level. If it's dry... well, there ya go. Limp Limp Limp

Morning Daz!

I wouldn't have thought an Indi would have charged much to clear some codes? Rumour had it if you disconnect the battery for 10-20 mins and reconnect it'll clear the codes haven't tried it personally though...!

Nooo you're all suppose to say "I'm master technician of Mercedes. Have no fear! Give the dash a little tap with your hand and all will be good. You're even more likely to get laid tonight because your just.. that... blimmin LUCKY!" :rock:

Ok... Ok it sounds to me like the reality of it all is... I'm ganna have the yank the Conductor Plate out the transmission. What's my chances of just cleaning my existing one up with some contact cleaner, chucking it back in and the heavens opening to bless me with a functioning transmission?

Also... is there any cool tips and tricks to testing the solenoids? I hear, from a video on YouTooobe that you conect them to a 12v source and listen for a click. Is this all there is too it?

Daz

Ow yeah... look! :crazy:

nailinthecoffinmaybe_zpse25107d2.jpg

Is the a picture of the nail in my coffin?

Dazh90 said:
Nooo you're all suppose to say "I'm master technician of Mercedes. Have no fear! Give the dash a little tap with your hand and all will be good. You're even more likely to get laid tonight because your just.. that... blimmin LUCKY!" :rock:

Ok... Ok it sounds to me like the reality of it all is... I'm ganna have the yank the Conductor Plate out the transmission. What's my chances of just cleaning my existing one up with some contact cleaner, chucking it back in and the heavens opening to bless me with a functioning transmission?

Also... is there any cool tips and tricks to testing the solenoids? I hear, from a video on YouTooobe that you conect them to a 12v source and listen for a click. Is this all there is too it?

Daz

Ow yeah... look! :crazy:

Is the a picture of the nail in my coffin?

Before you do anything, get the codes read. It will save you ££££££ in the long run.

Think simple first. Trust me.

Before you do anything, get the codes read. It will save you ££££££ in the long run.

Think simple first. Trust me.

Hey dude. Photo of the fault code above ^

Only one code. Internal speed sensor (problem between the Conductor Plate and the TCU)

Replace the plate.

Jobs a goodun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom