That old Chestnut..Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Privatedoc

Car
W203 C200K Estate
My C200K estate...useless in the slippy stuff, esp now moved to a rural location.....I've been looking on ebay for old alloys etc to fit a set of winter tyres to, was thinking of VREDSTEIN SNOWTRACK 3 but I note mytyres.com do steel wheel/tyre packages at good rates ~500 for 4 balanced and ready to go.....Am I kidding myself snow tyres are the way forward and what I really need is an ML of GL again or are snow tyres a reasonable option living in Ayrshire?

also, any recommendations as to brands of winter tyres ?

thanks in advance :thumb:

If it turns out the way it did last year...winter tyres are the way to go. But you are right to buy now...as soon as it snows the price will double.

RWD bad
FWD OK
4WD good
RWD w/winters good
FWD w/winters great
4WD w/winters best

The difference winters made to my C-Class was staggering - Michelin Alpin. I went from driving everywhere with clenched cheeks in case of snow, or not being able to even move it when it did snow, to taking colleagues out for a drive in deep snow just to show them the difference!!

We have Mud & Snow tyres on our ML, and it really performs well in the snow, as you could imagine. About 5 years ago I had to abandon my C-Class and walk home. I went straight back in the ML and it didn't even noticed the snow.

Last edited:
Ok full set Vredestein Snowtrac 3 205/55/16 H on new steel rims...£570 delivered...seem ok deal ?

(much cheaper than changing car!)

I've heard loads of good reports about winter tyres in snow but how do they perform on icy roads. Any difference or basically the same as ordinary tyres?

Ok full set Vredestein Snowtrac 3 205/55/16 H on new steel rims...£570 delivered...seem ok deal ?

Check that they do actually fit. I got excited about steelies for mine, but it only later transpired that they couldn't supply in the actual wheel dimensions required.

I've heard loads of good reports about winter tyres in snow but how do they perform on icy roads. Any difference or basically the same as ordinary tyres?

On a frosty road, almost certainly a little better on winters. A little better might be enough.

On black ice, still just a passenger I'm afraid. But that's to be expected.

Our street is on an incline & when covered in black ice, I can drive up the road without the traction control light even coming on while all the neighbours are stuck at the bottom of the hill. Does that answer your question?

For the OP, I use Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes, amazing winter tyre.

Russ

Winter tyres for CLK 55 AMG - I suspect they could be essential! Anyone had experience of them - or not having them? Also - I guess I will need a second set of alloys!!

Winter tyres for CLK 55 AMG - I suspect they could be essential!

They will be if you plan to use it in the snow.

Also - I guess I will need a second set of alloys!!

You can just switch the ttyre on your existing alloys if you wish. Makes it less convenient and a job for someone else, rather than something you can do yourself.

Our street is on an incline & when covered in black ice, I can drive up the road without the traction control light even coming on while all the neighbours are stuck at the bottom of the hill. Does that answer your question?

For the OP, I use Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes, amazing winter tyre.

Russ

Those tyres are worth every penny in bad weather.

Any winter tyre is better than a summer tyre. The differences between the winter tyres is pretty similar to the differences between summer tyres. If you want advice on choosing winter tyres; choose them on the same basis you're choosing summer tyres. If you're using black round things without a name as summer tyres, you'll probably do the same with winter tyres. If you always go for the top brand summer tyres, you'll probably want the same type of winter tyres.
Winter tyres work, and they work well. A really good investment, not only to get you to work, but for safety reasons as well.
I've managed to find some steel wheels for my baby-benz and they'll be shod with cheapish winter tyres in a few months.

NOW would be a good time to play the joker and introduce the concept of all-season tyres. Not as good as pure winter tyres in winter, slightly worse at the extremes of grip than summer tyres in summer but great allrounders. No need to store four wheels and tyres either.

Vredestein Quatracs, Hankook Optimo 4S, Kumho Solus KH21 and Goodyear Vector 4Seasons are just a few to be looking at. MyTyres has a good selection to ponder.

You'll probably need specific wheel bolts for steel wheels.

Chris Murray is a trade member here, and helped me get it right for my C-Class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom