The 100 greatest cars of all time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
The 100 Greatest Cars Of All Time... - PistonHeads Headlines

Mercedes W124 72nd
Mercedes S Class 63rd
Mercedes 300SL Gullwing 57th

Ford Mustang (first generation) 10th
AC/Shelby Cobra 9th
Mazda MX-5 (Mk1) 8th
Ferrari F40 7th
Lotus/Caterham 7 6th
Audi Quattro 5th
Jaguar E-Type 4th
Porsche 911 3rd
McLaren F1 2nd
Mini (BMC, Austin, Morris, Rover) 1st

I hate lists, and I certainly hate lists compiled by votes from spotty people with anoraks and unbroken voices who have probably never been in or driven 95% of the cars they are nominating.

Where does the diesel big block Starlet fit into this??

Oil, filter, brake pads and a replacement driver's seat for all 6' 8" of me, more comfy than any Benz I've been in, never washed it for 15 years, NO RUST ANYWHERE, and it's still going strong after 200 000. THE best car ever.

Oh, did I mention over 100 MPG petrol equivalent, based on fuel price that is......:):)

And don't say next to the Hilux on Top Gear either, I recon a diesel Starlet will outdo a Hilux........:bannana::bannana:

Last edited:
Well the mini deserves No 1. however it would have been nice to see the W124 higher up in the list, but its quite good to see it specifically mentioned anyway.

These subjective lists are only a bit of fun........a light talking point :)

Maybe a better title for these lists would be 'iconic'.

can't believe the subaru impreza is higher than the sierra cosworth

can't believe the subaru impreza is higher than the sierra cosworth

I was suprised to some extent that the Cosworth, Lotus Carlton, Peugeout 205GTI, and Renault 5 Turbo made it as they are retreating ingto the mists of time.

I personally don't think the likes of the McLaren F1 and Zonda count for much -- but then back in my day the Miura and Countach and Bora would all have been up on the list for the same sort of reasons.

No BMWs in the list -odd as since late 80s they have won tonnes of awards and have often been described as best real world cars

No BMWs in the list -odd as since late 80s they have won tonnes of awards and have often been described as best real world cars

There are three BMWs on the list - 3 series, M3 and M5.

ANYONE who has ever driven an E type will be amazed it made the top 100.
Certainly would never figure in a list of must have cars if I won the lottery.

Fantastic jaw droppingly beautiful car to look at. But its not a great drive.

Why is the mini rated at number 1.

I haven't driven one, but I cant see the appeal of a car thats so small

These list are very subjective and every voter will of had their own criteria.

The Mini is iconic and appeared in a rather good film. For some people that's enough.

Probably because it was the only car the masses could buy new when it came out. Front wheel drive, a hoot to drive. Now consider the opposition. Ford Anglia, Ford Prefect, BLMC A35 or the A40 Farina. An extraodinary car. hen of course Paddy Hopkirk and John Cooper got hold of one. A lot of nostalgia voted for methinks.

Certainly the 850 basic one I had was all we could afford at the time.

A clue here, they did win the Monte Carlo rally from 1964 to 1967, beating everything Europe had to offer at the time. Winning the rally gave the car a great deal of credibility and publicity.

Russ

Mini was cheap - for its day practical - and had quite firm suspension. They were very good fun on a B-road and good fun in town in a way that today's small hatches just cannot be - narrower, shorter, and half the weight.

Bit tiresome in other ways (gearchange, noise, rust, and the fact that by the eighties they were automotive fossils) - but the good bits tend to be the way they are remembered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom