The 2020 CL215 Owners Register

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splitpin

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E500, CL500
C43AMG started the register in March 2014.
It has now shrunk.considerably

Originally, it had circa 40 members with these cars.
CL500 models were top in numbers, followed by CL55AMG & just four CL600
A quick trawl indicates that only about 20 remain active
Where have all the others gone ?......

Another trawl indicates that there was a steady decline in 2015/16/17 with a few in 2019
What was the reason for that ?
A variety of reasons no doubt but I suspect that the lack of owners input within the register
could be partly responsible. Interest has to be maintained or owners will drift away.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Current members that have kept their cars
C43AMG W215 CL55 AMG Kompressor
. m2287 w215 Cl55 AMG
mattk1 W215 CL55 AMG Kompressor
. rk100 W215 CL55 AMG
Skhan -W215 CL55 AMG
Swotty CL600
ea666 W215 CL500
pstock W215 CL500
Mr Kipling W215 CL55AMG
Oxey CL600
Phil Woods CL600
Borys W215 CL500
Flyingspanner W215 CL500
mark-le-b CL600
Renault12ts W215 CL500
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Missing members that had a CL in 2014

BernardB CL600.
. john-f - W215 Cl500,
. martyp - W215 CL55K AMG
. lamboma - W215 CL500
RST1979 W215 CL500
Dash1 - W215 CL500 Designo Edition
. BernardB CL600.
martyp W215 CL55 AMG
john-f - W215 Cl500,
. lamboma - W215 CL500
. Lexman8 - W215 CL500
. V8dve - W215 CL500
. Stuart W215 CL500
. helgi33 - CL600
. Uav Pilot W215 CL500
. Vigilant -W215 CL55K AMG
MikeAMG - W215 CL55 AMG
Silvet600 CL600
PaulMicallef W215 CL500
. chowchow - W215 CL500
jinbal W215 CL500
keith252 CL600
tommyboy49 W215 CL500
Can you find any of these members ?............

Sold mine a couple of years ago after owning it for nearly 8 years, and funnily enough it has just surfaced on FB.

KR Matt

I also sold mine around 3 years ago after having it for 6 years. What a car!

Had a quick look at the CL500 only
on MERCEDES CL500 AUTO - How Many Left?

And it's interesting that only 20% seem to have been scrapped since 2014, with 2000 still around, either taxed or on SORN.

Less of a drop for the CL600, down from 340 to 320.

Maybe these things move into the hands of "shoestring budget" enthusiasts? (No insult implied or intended)

Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 09.53.21.png

46458600_2152011295065026_4536164370056478720_o.jpg

Last edited:
Had a quick look at the CL500 only
on MERCEDES CL500 AUTO - How Many Left?

And it's interesting that only 20% seem to have been scrapped since 2014, with 2000 still around, either taxed or on SORN.

Less of a drop for the CL600, down from 340 to 320.

Maybe these things move into the hands of "shoestring budget" enthusiasts? (No insult implied or intended)

View attachment 101174

46458600_2152011295065026_4536164370056478720_o.jpg
Thank you.
Beautiful car & one of the most attractive colours for that model, In my opinion.

These cars are coming of age now & with the benefit of the reliable 113 V8 & that ABC suspension simply cry out to be used.
Interesting that you mention the CL600 models not dropping away, there are currently three for sale in Car & Classic & of course
prices haven`t sunk to the level of the V8 cars..

Sold mine a couple of years ago after owning it for nearly 8 years, and funnily enough it has just surfaced on FB.

KR Matt

Fb is that Flea Bay ? Kept it for 8 years ! What sort of mileage did you do ? Any significant problems ........? You must have liked the car ?

FB = Facebook

My CL is sadly going up for sale soon, circumstances require that I’m going to need an estate or maybe a van for the future. I’m going to miss it, such beautiful lines, super smooth, reliable. 😢

I also sold mine around 3 years ago after having it for 6 years. What a car!

You obviously enjoyed your time with the car !
Here are a couple of your helpful answers that are currently relevant:-

Query.
Now ......... if you can tell me why the passenger side door mirror only opens when it wants to .......... or the front nearside indicator bulb doesn't work .... yes it does .... no it doesn't, then I'll be a happier bunny.

m2287 reply..
Indicator bulb is the plug that it sits in, if you take the bulb out, one of the connections will be corroded, Mercedes now do a replacement one which you have to hard wire in for around £20.

Door mirror is probably a split cable in the harness next to the door hinge... Take the cover off, look for a split cable and solder it back together!

FB = Facebook

My CL is sadly going up for sale soon, circumstances require that I’m going to need an estate or maybe a van for the future. I’m going to miss it, such beautiful lines, super smooth, reliable. 😢

Genuinely sorry to learn that.
Remember to take and keep a frontal image of the car with number plate so that you can always check if its still alive. Thank you for the FB answer
I honestly had no idea that they advertised cars...I don`t use Facebook now.

Query.
Now ......... if you can tell me why the passenger side door mirror only opens when it wants to .......... or the front nearside indicator bulb doesn't work .... yes it does .... no it doesn't, then I'll be a happier bunny.

m2287 reply..
Indicator bulb is the plug that it sits in, if you take the bulb out, one of the connections will be corroded, Mercedes now do a replacement one which you have to hard wire in for around £20.

Door mirror is probably a split cable in the harness next to the door hinge... Take the cover off, look for a split cable and solder it back together!

I did serious mileage in mine, it had over 260k when I sold it! This also meant I had to deal with pretty much every common issue they come up with.

Fb is that Flea Bay ? Kept it for 8 years ! What sort of mileage did you do ? Any significant problems ........? You must have liked the car ?

FB = Facebook. I put 85k miles on it and absolutely loved it. Done some sensible mods, quaife Lsd, smaller pulley and a remap but spent most money on regular servicing and preventative maintenance. It's a car that needs to be driven on a regular basis and therefore serviced/maintained accordingly. I had every invoice from new in a folder that went with car but was never brave enough to add it all up!

Matt :thumb:

These cars are coming of age now & with the benefit of the reliable 113 V8 & that ABC suspension simply cry out to be used.
Interesting that you mention the CL600 models not dropping away, there are currently three for sale in Car & Classic & of course
prices haven`t sunk to the level of the V8 cars..
I doubt that the V12 will ever drop to the level of the V8's. Partly because of the engine, partly because of the whole package of specification / extras that are implicit in buying the top of the range W215.

The one caveat is that asking prices tell us nothing of what these (*****y) things sell for. Fifteen year old V8's and V12's take an age to sell, in all models - the only gauge of value is what people actually admit that they sold for, or maybe auction sold prices. Advertised price is just a measure of what the seller would like to get.

I've been looking for a specific V8 SL500 for a year now, and there are still people out there trying to sell a similar vehicle after 12 months, and who don't see any need to reduce their price to effect their sale.

If you're into Nobel prize winning Economics about pricing for V12's and V8's, Akerlof and Stiglitz are your men.

They cracked the whole problem back in the 1970's, explaining why people with great, older, high value cars can't sell them.

The Market for Lemons - Wikipedia

The only question that they don't answer, and tbf it's not relevant to their thesis, is what do the sellers of overpriced cars eventually do? Do they accept they cannot sell the car at the asking price, and reduce it, or do they just doggedly stick to their guns until a change in circumstances forces their hands?

We know the answer if the seller is a dealer who describes the make as a 'marque', but what about the rest?

Now ......... if you can tell me why the front nearside indicator bulb doesn't work .... yes it does .... no it doesn't, then I'll be a happier bunny.
I thought that was an Irish joke?!

I did serious mileage in mine, it had over 260k when I sold it! This also meant I had to deal with pretty much every common issue they come up with.

Serious indeed, that was no Garage Queen. What (Apart from consumables) gave most troubles ABC, shockabsorbers, PSE pump,fractured wiring ?

I doubt that the V12 will ever drop to the level of the V8's. Partly because of the engine, partly because of the whole package of specification / extras that are implicit in buying the top of the range W215.

Couldn`t agree more. Incidentally now knowing the relative rarity of the CL600 it would be interesting to gain an owners/past impression of one........
Swotty, Oxey, Phil Woods or mark-le-b perhaps ?

The one caveat is that asking prices tell us nothing of what these (*****y) things sell for. Fifteen year old V8's and V12's take an age to sell, in all models - the only gauge of value is what people actually admit that they sold for, or maybe auction sold prices. Advertised price is just a measure of what the seller would like to get.

Yes, somewhat similar to a game of poker perhaps.

I've been looking for a specific V8 SL500 for a year now, and there are still people out there trying to sell a similar vehicle after 12 months, and who don't see any need to reduce their price to effect their sale.

Serious indeed, that was no Garage Queen. What (Apart from consumables) gave most troubles ABC, shockabsorbers, PSE pump,fractured wiring ?

Mainly electrics, the instrument cluster failed twice, went through various control modules, wiring fixes etc. In over 100k miles I replaced the two rear ABC struts, rebuilt the rear valve block, replaced an accumulator and rebuilt the ABC pump twice which I don’t think is that bad myself!

Query.

m2287 reply..

Intermittent front left indicator was finally rectified by the Merc garage when they replaced the front right ABC strut last month. "They usually go", they said (the indicator) - faulty wiring is the problem ... the bulb still works when the hazard warning lights are activated. They charged for a new "connection unit", so sounds like the same component.

Door mirror ... retract/open functions only work on one of the keys ... perhaps I need to programme the second one?

On the first key, they retract/open and dip in reverse fine, but passenger one does not return properly when reverse has been activated. I press the retract button on the door panel and then the open button. All is then fine, but I don't know if this is a wiring break (on the reverse circuit) or something else. It's a quirk and I live with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom