The AMG exhaust burble and 'rip' - how ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi yes I know what you are saying but over here the MOT centres are government run (DVL NI) and the "chaps" that test your car wear the "jobs worth" hats. Any mod to exhaust systems are a failure if it is changed from standard. That is why I am going for the bolt on system as I will have to put the original back on each year. Have had to do that to my evo every year. They even joke with me as I always go to the same station that I must be tired changing that over every time But if I get the V8 enhanced sound that wont worry me

Any mod to exhaust systems are a failure if it is changed from standard.

That surely doesn't mean you can only fit replacement parts made by the manufacturer if a box blows etc.?

You could also 'gut' the secondary cats - i.e. leave the empty casings in place.

RE the fitting of other parts the replacment parts must carry out the same function of the original parts. In the case of the exhaust a replacment must not exceed a higher noise of a original exhaust system and it is at the testers mood as to the outcome. They do not test for db's (dont have the meter that I am aware off) but over here they are next in line to God and must be obeyed. You are lucky as were you get your car serviced the same mechanic can usually do the test as far as I am aware. Dont think he will fail his own work me thinks

The noise requirement applies here, and yes it's subjective rather than a dB reading.

Hi all, kind of answered a few things for me on here, apologies if this has been covered but I have a standard c63 estate where as a mate of mine has a coupe which sounds a lot better
Is there a difference between the saloon/estate v coupe or is it the optional PPP, my mate doesn't know if his car has it (its a lease car, he didn't spec it)
On another note obviously the F1 safety car is not standard but it is very loud, is it possible to get that sound.?
I'm not really into modifying but would do, to get it sounding meatier/louder, my business partner has a new CLS63 which burbles very nicely, I'm a tad jealous !!

Cheers lee

Last edited:
Might depend on year, I think the MCT speedshift gearbox makes it sound better on the gearchanges than the pre-MCT.

Mine is a standard coupe and sounded the same as the Estate pace car at Silverstone on Sunday. He was running it in manual I think which provides the same 'crack' or 'rip' as it does in S+.

Mines nice and loud when you put your foot down :)

Had the secondary cats removed, sailed through its MOT no problem

It is hard to beat the slk 55amg burble but I did by buying the system from Quicksilver. You should utube the exhaust sound, I bought it and it just deepens the sound. Unfortunately I have lost that now as I have just bought a new slk and the exhaust is lying in my garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom