The amg goodwood trackdays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricky s

MB Enthusiast
Car
cars
Feel after todays great day at Goodwood,I want to make a little bit of a speech to all the guys who have attended either one of or both the two trackdays we organised at Goodwood.
Firstly I would like to thank you all, EVERYONE ONE OF YOU, for your input and enthusiam for creating these two days, anyone who has ever organised whatever numbers of people to created such events, will know how hard it can be, but you all have been so surportive since this little concept started back last December, that both days have happened, and I feel they have been most enjoyable, educational, and such great fun.

I,d also like to mention a few people,
firstly Benjy, for his help and surport with the organising and running of todays trackday, it took a weight of my shoulders when I had little time, big thanks Benjy.

I,d also like to further thank Maff and Lopes,
Maff for his generosity in bringing so many of his supercars to both dates and also to the time he spent giving out passenger rides in them, to which I benifited from also, he surported these two days beyond the call of duty.
Lopes for his own and Garys attendance but also for recruiting further friends and clients to attend which helped make the numbers we needed to complete the line ups for the both days.

I would also like to add another thankyou to all the guys over the two trackdays who had travelled long distances, from either overseas or long journeys from northern UK, to attend either one or both of the days, your extra efforts to attend the days are most appreciated.
So thankyou all for your efforts to attend, your company and banter on the days.

Lastly, my own highlights of the two days;
The sound of Martys car, awesome sounding!
Alx,s and Martys great videos
Seeing and hearing Maffs super cars.
Hearing all those C63, what a sound!
Lopes and Garys, full on.....CHARGE!!!!! attitude on circuit
Neils super Albarth, gave the C63s and other cars a big run for their monies.
Nigels giant RS6, so quick!
Mika, today telling me how he managed to get 4 wheels on the grass, but tried to do it tidily, so as the marshalls might not notice..LOL chuckled all the way home.
Seeing Trevthicks Audi RS2 and Chales Morgans BMW 2002 on track
Going out in Lucky P,s Porsche, and getting travel sick on the third lap, on video...Ugh
Meeting up with the known and the new faces, and generally chatting,
Actually getting my own car on the track today, very enjoyable
There probaly a few more that will come to me.

So Big thankyou to you all, see what we can do for a day next year.

All the best Ricky

Cheers Ricky for another great track day! After todays discussion i'm more then happy help you make the numbers up with some very nice cars!

thanks very much to ricky and his assistant benjy for organising the track days ..

such incredible fun.

:bannana:thanks again:bannana:

Just got in. A marvellous day, and a massive thank you to Ricky and Benjy for all their work in making this happen - it is much appreciated and you are really great guys to boot!

A slightly frustrating day, but I was still grinning at the end, thank you to Will and Gaz for the (very different) rides, and to all for bringing along such a fascinating set of cars.

Goodwood is a superb venue, period and well run.

Ricky, your a star mate, thanks for organising and putting your own time and money into it making it as special as it was!

Many thanks to Ricky and Benjy for organising such a great day
It was good to meet some of the attendants from the April meeting together with some new faces
Goodwood is a fantastic circuit and the format of track exclusivity and 5 car max on track suits perfectly
I also was particularly pleased at the amount of track time available to each driver especially in the afternoon session making the day extremely good value for money
long may this continue

I'm looking forward to the pictures and the videos

I'd like to thank Ricky and Benji too for all the work they put in organising the day(s). I've now broken my track day cherry and I'm definitely up for more.

Yesterday was great fun, got to give the SLK some proper beans in a way it'd never be safe to do on the road. I found out more about the handling in one day than I've done in a year of ownership and I have to say I'm impressed with what I found, it has a huge amount of grip if you set it up right in the corner.

After the slippery start I got faster and faster, culminating in seeing 135 down the back straight on my last session of the day, which was curtailed by lack of fuel rather than lack of enthusiasm!. Not surprising really, when I crossed the line for the last time the display was reading 8.3 MPG :eek:.

Nice to see some familiar faces and put names to new ones. Look forward to the next meeting!

Cheers,

Gaz

Last edited:
Another great day, thanks everyone :thumb:

Nice to meet some new faces and really good fun to have a run following Jonmad to compare the CLK55 with my C32. The car ran great again although I now need a new grill around the fog light after a high speed collision with a pigeon sitting on the track :wallbash: infact I hit two on the day.

Ive got 3 videos im trying to upload onto youtube but they keep failing :(

Thanks again Ricky and Benjy and i'll catch up soon.

I'm looking forward to the pictures and the videos

I'm uploading my videos now:D

Have one from the morning and 3 from the afternoon session. Plus one from the morning session in Palmball's M3, where I encourage much late braking!:devil:

Will post some links here when They're on Youtube.

Would like to Add my thanks to Ricky (and Benjy) for the organisation.

Hope to see you in my neck of the woods at some point for a trip to my local track (the Nordschleife):cool:

after a high speed collision with a pigeon sitting on the track :wallbash: infact I hit two on the day.

I nearly hit 1 too (sitting on the track utterly oblivious) on my last lap of the day .. luckily was the cooling lap, so was not going that fast

Calling stats fans...
GPS trace: Goodwood Trackday by jonmad_garmin at Garmin Connect - Details
Fastest lap I think was 1m37 (will check video). I was about 3-4s per lap off Mika in his C63 when failing to keep up with him at the end of the day.
mpg was 8 in the afternoon :)
127 on the clock hit on the back straight - might have got more but the braking zone focuses the mind
Over 160 miles on track which made it really good value.

** marty - do you want me to upload the full res front facing (in car and front numberplate) video from when you were following me and when Ricky went past? **

Thanks Ricky and helpers for all your hard work with this. It was a great day. Really loved the circuit - the track itself with its undulations and the historic feel and facilities of the place. Great to meet so many people and it was a pleasure giving lots of passenger rides and, I hope, surprising a few people.

Having said previously I'd have stability control off whatever the weather, and having always done that in the past, why did I then keep it on all day? :)
- for one, because the nice man told me to, at least while it was wet.
- also as I spent most of the day going out with other people in the car I didn't play with it
- I wasn't going to risk being _that_ person who said 'watch this' then stacked it!
- but the main reason was the fast right hander (Fordwater) into a 110mph dip with no run off on the outside of the track :D I never did take that corner anywhere near flat out.

There was a side benefit of having ESP on... far less rear tyre wear, meaning I could drive home on those tyres without having to change back onto the road wheels at the end of the day. Conversly, with ESP off I'd have got more heat into the rear tyres, so they'd have gripped more, so I would have had more traction... an interesting circular cause and effect.

It was great playing with the adjustability of the car, managing to keep the nose tucked in or, in a more lairy way, shifting the weight forward on the brakes into the right hander before St Mary's, into Lavant and through Woodcote. Rotating the car around like that also meant the 'holding back' effect of the stabilty control was reduced, the car less understeery and leaving less turning to do when accelerating through corners.

Also having got the hang of left foot braking I sussed blipping the throttle on downchanges to stop the balance being upset - no cool auto-blip/rev matching on the 2003 gearbox!

Thanks to Marty for the ride in his C32. It was interesting that it had a lot more traction out of the corners, faster pick up from low down and a very different (to anything?) noise! Was slightly softer than mine but not wallowing at all. In, I guess, Sport mode, the gearbox changed down midway through corners sometimes, but it didn't seem to get upset by that.

A real great selection of cars there. Stand outs... Neil's Fiat was awesome, the Focus was shooting flames out the back and the RS6s and GT3 just looked super quick. Not forgetting of course, a certain shiny new M3 and all the superb looking and sounding C, E, CLS and SLK AMGs. And of course Maff's pair... the DTM was amusing to follow in one of my early sessions and the sound of Maff's 599 blipping on a downshift at the end of the pit straight will live with me for some time :D

A few more stats off the AMG racetimer

In wet/damp conditions
Best lap 1min 48 Top speed 135 mph average speed 78 mph

In dry conditions
Best lap 1min 36 Top speed 141 mph average speed 86 mph
fuel consumption 10.0mpg

..note Aprils figures
In dry conditions
Best lap 1min 35 Top speed 139 mph average speed 88 mph
fuel consumption 8.9mpg

Full ESP ON & Sport Mode G/Box (both days)
tyres Pre April Fronts 6mm Rears 8mm
tyres Pre August Fronts 5mm Rears 3-4mm

Last edited:
I didn't time my laps (can't get the hang of that timer LOL) but one of my passengers said that 140 showed on the back straight, but my mpg for the tiem on track was 7.2 mpg which was comical - 88miles out of a tank!!

No 'Post August' tyre depths Mika? LOL

S

Is that a built-in feature? Superb, if so :)

I didn't time my laps (can't get the hang of that timer LOL) but one of my passengers said that 140 showed on the back straight, but my mpg for the tiem on track was 7.2 mpg which was comical - 88miles out of a tank!!

No 'Post August' tyre depths Mika? LOL

S

2-3 mm on the rears
fronts no change

tyre wear wasnt that great as Jon (i think) noted from April they just look pretty roughed up with wear slightly up the tyre wall

will be getting some new rears probably within a couple of weeks:D

Is that a built-in feature? Superb, if so :)

Hi Jon
its a menu item on the computer
it saves each session but i was photographing the display before i took the key out or the info was lost , so i have loads of lap data - ive just put the summary info down - hence if you calculate in comparison to yours my best average speed wont match my best lap time coz they were done on different laps..i hope that makes sense

AMG menu shows Oil temp , Water temp , lap time , also Gear currently selected ,it can record up to 16 laps in a session , best lap , average speed of a lap , highest speed achieved during a lap , gbox mode , ESP status , plus all the usual stuff

Last edited:
That's cool. Did you press a button at the start of each session to mark the laps or at the start of the day only?

I like that it includes oil and water temp as well. For the next version they can add tyre temps and pressures!

That's cool. Did you press a button at the start of each session to mark the laps or at the start of the day only?

I like that it includes oil and water temp as well. For the next version they can add tyre temps and pressures!

i found it difficult to read all the data whilst driving i tended to view it when i returned to the pits
yeah reset for each session
next time i might leave the key in on position 1 and just pause it coz it will save up to 16 laps

Simon - its dead easy really once you get it started
just press - twice within 5 seconds of crossing the line -
but note there is only just enough time to press twice before preparing for the first bend!:crazy:

you do know that timing means that any insurance (if you have any) is invalidated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom