The AMG GT - as good as the reviews? Would you buy one, seeking opinions from owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firthy

Car
M5 v10, Evo FQ360, Maserati MCV
Hello forum,

Its been a few years since I have posted but the place is much as I remember i;, friendly, knowledgable and welcoming.

My time has finally come and later this year I will be buying a car for me, one that can be as compromised as I like and as fast and fun as I can find. For a long time I have wanted a Nissan GT-R and this is the reference against which I am considering alternatives. I have spent too many hours watching YouTube and reading about the myriad of choices. The GT-R is still the frontrunner, along with an AMG GT and the outsider, a Cayman GT4. I really like the GT R but its pushing my budget, the GT C is appealing but being the most recent model released there are few around and most seem to be Roadsters which I am less keen on. A tuned well-specced GT S may even be the sweet spot.

Are there many owners on the forum? I would enjoy hearing about your experiences with your GT. Has it lived up to your expectations in the long term? Is it reliable and what are the must have options?

Where are values going as they seemed to have dropped a lot, but having not followed the market for long, are they near the floor on value I wonder.

Cheers,
SImon

Welcome back to MBClub.

The GT has many variants and so you’re sure to find one which suits. Two-seat GT through to track weapon, with hotrod boulevard cruiser somewhere in between.

If you want a European super GT, supersports car - or some might even say supercar - to use every day, then your only real choice is between the 911 and GT.

There are no must have options. There are three different seats - each model has a choice of two - make sure you sit in the two available for the models you’re considering.

If you can, go for a wide body car, so either the GT C or GT R. The wider track, electronic diff and active rear steering make a real difference to the feel of the car.

Some people like their GT R to be track focused, others prefer road-biased. Go for the set up which suits the way you’ll use it, or else it will forever feel compromised.

Regarding values, expect them to depreciate heavily. Expensive cars tend to, especially with such uncertainty in both the economy and motor industry.

You haven’t mentioned budget but the older the car, the shorter the distance the value has to fall, so if you’re worried about depreciation then consider older cars.

The SLS dropped like a stone before holding firm for a long time and then slowly appreciating. Even now they can stay on the market a long time before selling.

I don’t think the GT will be held in the same regard as the SLS in terms of collectability, but as a car - on road or track - it’s a very similar experience but better in every way.

So for that reason the GT is a bit of a bargain, and always will be. If you want a car to look at and minimise cost, then buy an SLS. If you want to drive, then buy a GT.

SLS made in much smaller numbers, priced higher and of course those doors .. that why prices are high.

None of those apply to AMG GT

SLS made in much smaller numbers, priced higher and of course those doors .. that why prices are high.

None of those apply to AMG GT
Agreed on all three counts.

My reason for mentioning the SLS - apart from the large amount of shared architecture and components - is that despite the reasons you mention and the greater collectability, values of the SLS fell through the floor in the early years, and even now the SLS stays on the market a while before selling. A prospective buyer should therefore expect a GT to depreciate heavily, as I suggested.

Im looking to move house at the moment, otherwise I would be looking myself at getting a GT, the cheapest are around £45k now, total bargain for the car.

After my ring lap in the summer in the GT R I am hooked, amazing cars.

For info, MB have effectively reduced AMG GT roadster price. A 2021 AMG GT Roadster is £120k, £4k more than the 2020 model.

But the 21 model year now is actually a 2020 AMG GT S Roadster plus more toys. 2020 S roadster was around £125k. On top of 2020 S spec, 21 base roadster has almost all of the premium package (except Burmester) and the radar cruise control from the driving assistance package, as standard equipment. This additional stuff probably worth circa £4k, so nearly a £9k price reduction, assuming you were getting an S.

a 2020 roadster with premium pack would be the same price as 2021 roadster but the former would not have: 19/20 wheels, electronic lsd, bigger brakes, 50hp extra, adaptive damping or distronic; however it would have burmester.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

The SLS is a fantastic looking car but I don’t think I would stretch for it, the last generation gearbox and the doors which I would struggle to live with, and that require maintenance, are enough to kill it for me. The big 6.2 would be epic as is the noise but that’s not enough to swing it. An Edition 507 c63 sedan is also something I would consider but again, not sure I could live with that gearbox.

GT R’s are sliding in value, this looks like a good buy for >£155k new :

By the time I am ready later in the year I may be able to find a car with the right spec for mid 80’s and at that, there is nothing else I would prefer. The GT is sensitive to wheel choice and colour though. I just need to decide if I want to plunge that much into a car as there are cheaper options that are also attractive like the M3CS and Nissan GT-R.

Seems we don’t have many owners on the forum which is a shame as I would like to learn more about the reliability and running costs of the GT from owners.

Cheers,
Simon

Seems we don’t have many owners on the forum which is a shame as I would like to learn more about the reliability and running costs of the GT from owners.
I didn't previously comment on running costs and reliability as there's not much to note really, but here you go:

Reliability:
  • No specific concerns. It's engineered to be as usable and reliable as any other Mercedes.
  • One warranty claim, a controller for the electronic diff was leading to random ESP/ABS/PAS/Suspension warning lights.
Recalls:
  • Check to make sure that the guards have been fitted to protect the radiators - it will only affect early cars, and I would expect them to have been retrofitted on any cars being serviced in the main dealer network. Early cars picked up stone damage.
  • A comms unit which I believe connects the car to the Internet (not GT specific). No symptoms.
Running costs:
  • I will exclude depreciation and insurance as both are very specific to the owner/driver.
  • Road tax is what you would I expect, I think around £500, but from memory it's not in the highest bracket.
  • A-service and brake fluid was £430 at the main dealer.
  • Service Contract for subsequent services £57 per month but I got 20% promotional discount for prepaying up-front.
  • Tyres reasonable - common size Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren - prices vary but probably a set for £1100 ish.
For this type of car, that's fairly good value.

As I say there's not much noteworthy, it's not much different to any other AMG. if there's something specific then ask away.

Always love a dark green car.....always worry about the repair cost of ceramic brakes though (but then I am not likely to track one, or spend £95k in the first place)!

Thanks for the info Bpbby Dazzler, you have answered all my questions really. Reliability is a concern but it seems they are pretty solid, there isn't much on the net about issues. One owner reported a leaky gearbox and MB wanted £16k to fit a replacement transaxle but that could be sorted at an Indy for much less.

That is absolutely stunning, I have been drooling over it for a little while now. I don't think I have seen a more attractive car, the colour just elevates it to a thing of beauty.

I like the idea of ceramic brakes and given the way I drive, there is little risk I will see a big bill for them in my ownership. Perhpas one pad change but I have read the rotors can last 5 sets of pads!

Cheers all

I like the idea of ceramic brakes and given the way I drive, there is little risk I will see a big bill for them in my ownership. Perhpas one pad change but I have read the rotors can last 5 sets of pads!
I have ceramics on my 11 year old GT3. It's at 45k mikes, 39k miles by me in over 8 and 1/4 years.

Have tracked it a few times but it's done many Euro hoons. Discs are like new. Still on factory pads, which have 60% left.

but I don't brake much 😂

I didn't previously comment on running costs and reliability as there's not much to note really, but here you go:

Reliability:
  • No specific concerns. It's engineered to be as usable and reliable as any other Mercedes.
  • One warranty claim, a controller for the electronic diff was leading to random ESP/ABS/PAS/Suspension warning lights.
Recalls:
  • Check to make sure that the guards have been fitted to protect the radiators - it will only affect early cars, and I would expect them to have been retrofitted on any cars being serviced in the main dealer network. Early cars picked up stone damage.
  • A comms unit which I believe connects the car to the Internet (not GT specific). No symptoms.
Running costs:
  • I will exclude depreciation and insurance as both are very specific to the owner/driver.
  • Road tax is what you would I expect, I think around £500, but from memory it's not in the highest bracket.
  • A-service and brake fluid was £430 at the main dealer.
  • Service Contract for subsequent services £57 per month but I got 20% promotional discount for prepaying up-front.
  • Tyres reasonable - common size Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren - prices vary but probably a set for £1100 ish.
For this type of car, that's fairly good value.

As I say there's not much noteworthy, it's not much different to any other AMG. if there's something specific then ask away.
Be quiet Bobby , I’m looking through the tinternet at them now....

Oooh one other thing about the GT, I’ve never driven a car which gets a more positive and more social reaction, by social I mean people going out of their way to say something nice.

I’ve never once had a negative reaction to driving the GT - which is not the case for other similar cars from other marques - and the number of people who say really really lovely things when stopped at traffic lights, queuing in traffic, etc never ceases to surprise.

Strangely I’ve never had comments from children and teenagers with the classic “Corrr, what’ll it do mister” line either, surprising given the popularity in social media. It tends to be older people and not car people, more often than not it’s people who I would never have expected.

Oooh one other thing about the GT, I’ve never driven a car which gets a more positive and more social reaction, by social I mean people going out of their way to say something nice.

I’ve never once had a negative reaction to driving the GT - which is not the case for other similar cars from other marques - and the number of people who say really really lovely things when stopped at traffic lights, queuing in traffic, etc never ceases to surprise.

Strangely I’ve never had comments from children and teenagers with the classic “Corrr, what’ll it do mister” line either, surprising given the popularity in social media. It tends to be older people and not car people, more often than not it’s people who I would never have expected.
Interesting....you certainly wouldn’t get that in a 911

Here’s mine. Love it.

full

Not surprised why....looks fabulous. Great paint colour, and why be shy about your roof in a GT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom