The anti-customer Agency model wins...and the customer walks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DGAMG63S

Car
GLE53 BMW M850i Cab. Prev - C63S CLS63S GLE63S&550 SL500 SLK55 GLS S & E Class, R107 SL, CE 124
After years of multiple Mercedes and AMG's I'm finally going to walk away. There's been a lot of posting on the forum about the Agency model in terms of pricing but I think there's a further issue and it's not the pricing one.

In trying (very hard) to stick with MB and buy a new Mercedes-AMG GLE, the lack of information the dealers now get under the Agency model is abysmal, and it's not confined to one dealer group. There is simply no idea at the sharp end of lead-times, delivery dates or possible upcoming available stock (even by placing a factory order), given the level of manufacturer control MB now exerts. Cars are advertised on the MB website with reductions to list, contributions to existing customers and low finance rates....but you can neither buy from stock or get a delivery date for a number of the cars.

I know I'm fortunate to have a choice and it's a first world problem (but then, they do ask first world prices) but given my history with the brand I WANT to stay with it, but not at this level of customer service. My longstanding dealer has tried hard, but it feels like it's MB themselves that have left the customer.

I can't see how this system benefits MB, the dealer, or the customer if a sale doesn't happen and frustrated customers turn to other marques. I know at least two BMW dealers and one Audi dealer (no, they're not the alternative!) who are picking up business from Mercedes customers because of the above. I was always taught customer retention was so much cheaper than customer acquisition but I don't see any of that right now at Mercedes.

That’s disappointing service. What do you fancy instead?

It’s a new Porsche Panamera, arriving next week.
Superb choice, which did you go for? Don’t forget the pictures, even configurator pictures 👍🏻

:ttiuwp

Nice, but a Cayenne would have been my guess in lieu of a GLE.
Me too actually. That’s where I started, but the Sport Turismo body style in the Panamera is being dropped completely for the next generation and I have a soft spot for a “wagon”, so I went for the last one of those.

Very, very nice. That’s a handsome car, in a beautiful colour,
Thanks. It was the colour I particularly wanted, so for me that gave it a further edge on a Cayenne.

Get used to it.... most if not all marques will be going across to agency dealerships soon rather than later. I'm sure you will find customers who are perfectly happy with the new system too..... no excuse for not having basic info, like delivery dates, to hand though.

Get used to it.... most if not all marques will be going across to agency dealerships soon rather than later. I'm sure you will find customers who are perfectly happy with the new system too..... no excuse for not having basic info, like delivery dates, to hand though.
I’m sure you’re right, although it’s not the pricing aspect that bugs me. I was told by both BMW and Audi dealers that they have now pushed it back and Porsche have no plans for it. I’m sad to see Mercedes losing the motivation of good people because of it.

Note how the centre caps on all three cars are the right way up - bet MB dealers don't do that...

And the MB dealers have 3 chances of getting it the right way up....
Brilliant

Note how the centre caps on all three cars are the right way up - bet MB dealers don't do that...

And the MB dealers have 3 chances of getting it the right way up....
The thoughtfull Mr Porsche has designed the centre caps with two little holes so that you hook them out without removing the wheel , unfortunately they can be stolen just as easily , expensive as they're about £145 a set.

VW did that from about 1985 and they came with a little wire tool to remove them.!......but then they stopped because of thefts. That said most centres can be removed easily with nothing more than a piece of strong tape so if the thief wants them its no effort.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After years of multiple Mercedes and AMG's I'm finally going to walk away. There's been a lot of posting on the forum about the Agency model in terms of pricing but I think there's a further issue and it's not the pricing one.

In trying (very hard) to stick with MB and buy a new Mercedes-AMG GLE, the lack of information the dealers now get under the Agency model is abysmal, and it's not confined to one dealer group. There is simply no idea at the sharp end of lead-times, delivery dates or possible upcoming available stock (even by placing a factory order), given the level of manufacturer control MB now exerts. Cars are advertised on the MB website with reductions to list, contributions to existing customers and low finance rates....but you can neither buy from stock or get a delivery date for a number of the cars.

I know I'm fortunate to have a choice and it's a first world problem (but then, they do ask first world prices) but given my history with the brand I WANT to stay with it, but not at this level of customer service. My longstanding dealer has tried hard, but it feels like it's MB themselves that have left the customer.

I can't see how this system benefits MB, the dealer, or the customer if a sale doesn't happen and frustrated customers turn to other marques. I know at least two BMW dealers and one Audi dealer (no, they're not the alternative!) who are picking up business from Mercedes customers because of the above. I was always taught customer retention was so much cheaper than customer acquisition but I don't see any of that right now at Mercedes.
It's even seeping into the used market. I'm looking for a year-old GLC 300d at the moment. Doesn't matter which franchise you look at, all the pricing is pretty much fixed within a tolerance of c.£500. Little to no wriggle room for the dealers on the face of it...algorithm says no... It's basically a cartel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom