The 'aviva' drive app

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanS320

Car
W221 S320
I downloaded the aviva app earlier in the week after seeing it on the advert.

Yeah..it's rubbish and any 'saving' to my insurance is probably contrived but I enjoyed getting a 'badge' for braking well and I love driving stats. I stuck to limits to get a pat on the back.

What did alarm me was what happens when you actually drive at 30/40/70 instead of just keeping a steady distance on the car in front. Drivers started acting very aggressively..very nasty and close 'n right like they were waiting for that elusive overtaking spot.

I must tip my cap to the aviva app. I averaged 34mpg over the week (normally 27) and I coincidentally did 70.1mph through a big crackdown on my daily motorway patch.

How do you get a score? Do you need to finish the 200 miles?

Yea after the 200 miles are done you get a score, I got all the badges but then on my score it said there were occasions where I accelerated too quickly!

With a cl55 you need NASA launch control not the aviva app

This is my score which included driving the Evo Triangle in Wales. Probably why i never got a 10 :p:p

AvivaAppScore.jpg

Finished yesterday this year's challenge... 9.8 :)

I think the only way to get a 10 is by driving 200 motorway miles at 70mph without braking, accelerating, or turning.... :D

Apart from a marketing ploy, what's the point in having the app,if after it assesses you it says you can "Save up to..."?

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but there will come a day when all cars are fitted with a device that measures and records every move you make, and probably automatically debits fines from your bank account. Similarly when you go to your GP, the NHS will be able to access your Tesco clubcard, and deny treatment based on your diet and alcohol purchases, as will Insurance companies who will check your relatives too before offering health/life insurance.

The DVLA just put all our driving licence info online. How long before Insurance companies are paying for access. If I just type my name into Google, a list of companies pop up showing me as a company director and offering to sell all my details including address and phone number for about £3!

Apart from a marketing ploy, what's the point in having the app,if after it assesses you it says you can "Save up to..."?

Last year I scored 9.7 and did indeed get the promised 20% discount :thumb:

However... my premium isn't too high anyway, and in absolute figures the discount was not substantial enough to justify driving for 200 miles like an old nun... :D

It is a very illuminating experience that I would recommend to anyone. It is better than driving-permit refresher training IMO....

Firstly, you must not speed. I set the speed limiter to the legal speed limits on the roads I was using.

Most of Islington is a 20 miles per hour zone now, but drive at that speed and every single car on the road will be travelling faster than you. Or drive at 40mph on the elevated section of the A40 near Nothing Hill and you feel like you are at standstill...

Then, to avoid braking, or making sharp turns, you need to plan ahead. Way ahead.... Is that car going to turn? Will that man step into the road? Did I slow down enough to take the next bend smoothly? That's a constant cognitive effort. Let go, and you find yourself braking hard, or swerving, which will cost you points.

Not as easy or as trivial as it might seem.

And of course you can cheat. There is no way the system can tell who the driver is, and you can potentially avoid recording some journies. But that would be missing the point....

Completed another one today. This netted me 28% discount of the renewal quote.

However, I have two cars on a multi car policy, and the discount only applies to one car, the cheapest to insure of the two.

So next year I might split the insurance into two separate policies, lose the 20% multi car policy discount, get the missus do the Aviva App as well then apply the 28% discount to both cars... we'll see :)

Attachments

• 20200618_233834.jpg
    20200618_233834.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1
It would be good fun if you flipped from a car to a motorcycle for the 200 miles:eek:

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but there will come a day when all cars are fitted with a device that measures and records every move you make

You already have it. They call it a mobile phone.

With 5G the location accuracy becomes really good.

You already have it. They call it a mobile phone.

With 5G the location accuracy becomes really good.
Tell me about it. I get an email every month with my Google timeline. It is scary. It shows dates, times and places even I didn't know I'd been to! I know I could turn off GPS but most apps rely on it.

Yeah if you drive at limit everyone behaves as if you are slowing them down. I drive with the speed limiter on average speed zones and everyone is inclined to do 10 or 20 more. Then they slow down to silly speeds when they approach the camera and I overtake them

As of 1st September, the Aviva Drive app is sadly no more... :(

I managed to get it done in August so I have it now for the next renewal.

After that, we'll have to see what the premium looks like without the discount...

I have been doing it every year since 2015, my lowest score was 9.5, my highest 9.8 😎

As of 1st September, the Aviva Drive app is sadly no more... :(

I managed to get it done in August so I have it now for the next renewal.

After that, we'll have to see what the premium looks like without the discount...

I have been doing it every year since 2015, my lowest score was 9.5, my highest 9.8 😎
Obviously far too successful and they saw renewal premiums falling as people understood how to get a good score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom