The beginning of another turbo C180

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NW_Merc

Banned
Car
1994 Mercedes C180 classic
I know that some of you will say, you wont get much out of a C180 performance wise, or the money you will spend you could get a C36 or higher. All of this is true. However, sometimes certain things happen in ones personal life where you think to yourself, I'll take on the challenge just to see if I can complete it.

Looking at club202 and the turbo thread, I did a search on ebay and lucky for me StavFC (who some of you may or may not get on with) had a mosselman manifold for sale which fits the M111 engine block.

So far I have got the turbo from an RS Cosworth which lines up with the bolt holes on the manifold. One thing I cannot figure out is how to attach the turbo to the manifold with the bolts that came with the manifold (Any help guys).

I am willing to take advice, help, constructive criticism on board but not unnecessary slating.

Cheers.

At this stage, I'm in the process of gathering parts. As soon as I have what I need to get started I will put pictures onto this thread. I will try and chart my progress over the coming months or longer.

The turbo is a Garrett T3 from a ford RS Cosworth (A/R 0.42). The reason for this is the flange fits the manifold perfectly and it will result in quicker spooling of the turbo and no lag (I hope).

Hi

Interesting project mate, looking forward to read updates etc.

I'm not too familiar with this engine, are the exhaust valves sodium filled on the NA engine?

and does anybody know if the supercharged units have sodium filled valves?

cheers and good luck

mazza

Hi

Interesting project mate, looking forward to read updates etc.

I'm not too familiar with this engine, are the exhaust valves sodium filled on the NA engine?

and does anybody know if the supercharged units have sodium filled valves?

cheers and good luck

mazza

Thanks, with regards to your question, I dont know, maybe there is a member who does.........

I'm considering two set ups:

1. A 5th injector to cater for extra fuelling required by the set up.

2. Upgrading the existing injectors with larger injectors and using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator in order to control the fuelling required.

I think both have their merits, however I know one person in America who has upgraded his stock injectors and therefore not needed to use the piggyback ecu and injector driver.

One question is, what volume do the stock injectors put out and what could be a possible OEM upgrade for a turbo set up?

Ok, just an update. Mosselman have emailed the instructions on how to fit the turbo. Quite comprehensive, lucky that they had them. However will need to fabricate the various hoses and get myself an intercooler.

I was thinking about fitting a Kompressor intercooler as this will fit neatly using the OEM mounting points. I dont think I'll get a used one unless its in very good condition.

Just out of pure curiosity.

What power is the stock engine and what power do you think you'll end up with, with the nicely sorted turbo install?

What have your insurers said about the mod?

Nothing yet as I havent started it formally.

Just out of pure curiosity.

What power is the stock engine and what power do you think you'll end up with, with the nicely sorted turbo install?

The stock engine is 122 hp (well it was when it was new - some may have escaped). I am hoping to get to around 225-230 hp at the wheels, but it may be less than that.

Nothing yet as I havent started it formally.

The stock engine is 122 hp (well it was when it was new - some may have escaped). I am hoping to get to around 225-230 hp at the wheels, but it may be less than that.

Hi,
I think those figures you quoted are a bit amibitous, I could see the engine producing the 225-230 hp, but certainly not at the wheels, consider a standard C43 M113 V8 produces 306 BHP (flywheel) and is approx. 227 BHP (wheels).

Hi,
I think those figures you quoted are a bit amibitous, I could see the engine producing the 225-230 hp, but certainly not at the wheels, consider a standard C43 M113 V8 produces 306 BHP (flywheel) and is approx. 227 BHP (wheels).

True ambitious, I just want to fit it and see what I can do without causing detonation to the engine....... I know it will need further modification and possible strengthening or replacement of the block if I want to get a load of power but I could happily settle for around 210 or 215 hp which isnt that much but more than what I have currently.

Brakes, originally from a C32 AMG and were silver. Stripped and repainted with new decals.

Attachments

• brakes 1.jpg
    brakes 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
anymore news on this build??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom